Odd thing in 4 wheel drive - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Odd thing in 4 wheel drive

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-08-2010, 03:49 PM   #1
bigcreekdad

Odd thing in 4 wheel drive

When I put my 2008 Liberty into 4 lock mode, and turn the wheel at a low speed (ie entering a parking space) the car doesn't want to move and actually lurches. Took to dealer today and they say that's normal. This is my third Liberty and neve experienced that before. Anyone experience this?

bigcreekdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 04:58 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I think it's related to shifting technique. Different transfer cases but try the method mentioned by merlin in this thread and see if it helps.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/u...oblems-935401/

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 05:15 PM   #3
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Perhaps your other liberties have had a different (full time) transfer case? This sounds normal for a command-trac part time case but not normal for the optional select-trac (full time) case used in 2008. The cases used in 2008 and newer are a different design than the NP. Don't know if they have the same quirks as the 2006 cases sited in the reference, but the select-trac now uses a clutch pac to variably lock the drive shafts. Hey, you know the new selec-trac does not even have a 4 lock position on the selector, just 2DW, 4WD auto and 4 Low (locked). You must have a command-trac, which locks both drive shaft together. Since the front axle needs to spin more in the turn than the rear, the drive line will bind up until one of the tires slip, which is the lurch you feel. You should not use 4 lock on dry pavement, or any with decent traction.

So if your selector switch has a 2wd, 4lock and 4low positions you have a Command-Trac case, and what you describe is normal when 4lock or 4low are selected.

If your selector switch has a 2wd, 4Auto and 4Low position you have the optional Selec-Trac case, and what you describe is not normal unless you select 4Low. You may feel a little resistance in turns as the clutch pac will provide some resistance, but not to the point of lurching.

Last edited by ColdCase; 01-08-2010 at 05:33 PM..
ColdCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 05:31 PM   #4
GearGuy10
1998 XJ Cherokee 

My wife's '09 KK does this when I'm driving around in 4wd lock in the slush and ice and then I enter a parking lot with dry pavement and forget to take it out of 4wd before turning into a parking space. The front end binds and you can't steer. If I flick the switch to 2wd and back up a wee bit and go at it again, it steers like normal. My XJ will make the turn with some tire hopping and chirping but not the KK. Mind you I don't do this on a regular basis, but it has happened when I'm cruising around in the winter and forget about the dry patches, especially in parking lots that have been cleared and heavily salted.

HERS: 2009 Liberty Sport Light Graystone Pearl
100% Stock
GearGuy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 05:37 PM   #5
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Totally normal,put back into 2wd before tight/slow turns in parking lots with dry patches.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.