Newbie Here - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Newbie Here

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 04-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #1
TarHeelTeacher
2010 KK Liberty 

Newbie Here

Hey all, I just got me a 2010 Liberty. It's my first Jeep (YAY) - I have been wanting one for as long as I can remember. Anyone have any tips for me? It's a lot different than the little Chevy Cobalt I've been driving!

Also, I live in North Carolina. I'm hoping to take it out on some of the beaches here this summer.. will this be ok to do with a stock, non-lifted Liberty? (told you I'm a newbie )

TarHeelTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
_benjammin
2012 KK Liberty 

I ran mine (stock) all over Carolina Beach and Ft. Fisher last summer. I tried not airing down the tires but struggled. Aired down to 14psi did great, just gotta air up before driving home.
Staun tyre deflators are worth buying.
The unibody cross members will hold sand if you are in ruts and/or soft sand. I spent 10 minutes after each trip spraying underneath and 10 pounds of sand would be on the driveway.
I'm lifted now (JBA Silver) and going to the beach is much easier.
_benjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
_benjammin
2012 KK Liberty 

And welcome and congrats. My wife is a Tarheel teacher too. If you are around this way we could meet up if you'd like.
_benjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

You're fine on the beach. Just air down(I think I'm normally around 18-20psi for the beach) and drive responsibly. Also make sure you follow any laws there and get the right permits or however your beaches work. Stock Libertys are alot more capable than people think. Just stay away from the water(don't wanna lose the new Jeep to the rising tide, right?), and try to wash the Jeep ASAP after getting off the beach. Make sure you get under it and get every nook and cranny. An old trick we use is to throw a sprinkler under the truck for a few hours, but you still need to get under with a hose.

If you have any other questions feel free to look around the forum or just ask.
Bmxer524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 05:54 AM   #5
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

I'd make sure you have solid recovery points front and rear as well as another rig w/ you.

Without both of those, getting unstuck will make for a lengthy day.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 08:45 PM   #6
TarHeelTeacher
2010 KK Liberty 

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the advice

_benjammin that sounds great! what grade does your wife teach? i see that you are in wilmington - my sister goes to school there!

bmxer24 the sprinkler sounds like a good idea but i will be sure to pull out the hose too. do you live in lindenhurst currently? i am originally from suffolk county
Unread 04-11-2013, 10:38 PM   #7
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

Yep lived in Lindy my whole life. I commute to Stony Brook daily for college too. Where in Suffolk were you?
Bmxer524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 06:10 PM   #8
TarHeelTeacher
2010 KK Liberty 

Oh cool! I took a class at Stony Brook in high school. It's a great school. I used to live in Kings Park (moved to NC the summer after my high school graduation) and I still have family in Smithtown.
Unread 04-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #9
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

One thing that you will find the Liberty's gas mileage is not as good as the Cobalts. I average about 15-17. The worse I got was bout 13 and the best 21.5. You have to realize it is about twice as heavy.

As far as driving it over the sand: Tire Gauge, Air compressor, Tow straps, Shovel, Tow hooks recovery hooks on the front and back of your vehicle, Fire extinguisher, couple of boards and/ planks of wood. The hotter and drier the sand the more airing down you need to do with your tires.

As far tune-ups it can vary dependent on your driving; I usually rotate the tires when I change the oil @5-6K, also check the air filter and change very 20-30k as well as the "in cabin" filter behind the glove box.

Review some the posts and threads and feel free to ask any questions.

Welcome to the club
Unread 04-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #10
TarHeelTeacher
2010 KK Liberty 

thanks for the info poncherello!! that is all GREAT to know and very helpful

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.