New Member checking in - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > New Member checking in

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*

Unread 02-08-2013, 07:00 PM   #1
HMNG-Liberty
2012 KK Liberty 

New Member checking in

Hello everyone, just bought a Silver 12' Liberty Sport 4x4 last night. I'm not planning to do much to it besides installing a trailer hitch/wiring harness on it since it didn't come with it and maybe a back up camera but who knows, i might end up putting a big turbo on it . I will be doing a lot of researching and asking a lot of questions along the way so hopefully ya won't be so hard on this newbie.

HMNG-Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #2
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Welcome aboard

Good luck in putting a turbo in it. Kenneth Bell had a supercharger available for the 3.7 and there issues with the pistons, rods and crank. Chrysler made a solid block but went light duty on the internals. You would need to rebuild and replace the internals before adding extra boost.

I plan on saving for a mopar hitch and harness, if and when you do it you may want to the dealership and have them flash the computer for towing, lights .

Good luck
Unread 02-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #3
HMNG-Liberty
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncherello View Post
Welcome aboard

Good luck in putting a turbo in it. Kenneth Bell had a supercharger available for the 3.7 and there issues with the pistons, rods and crank. Chrysler made a solid block but when light duty on the internals. You would need to rebuild and replace the internals before adding extra boost.

I plan on saving for a mopar hitch and harness, if and when you do it you may want to the dealership and have them flash the computer for towing, lights .

Good luck
that's some good info to know, thanks!
Unread 02-09-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

NP no matter what model Jeep you own everyone seems to get the "itch"; feel free to drop some pics of your ride in this thread or the pics one.

Cograts
Unread 02-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #5
BillyP

Welcome to the forum... and Jeeps.
BillyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 06:07 AM   #6
rescue575

2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncherello
Welcome aboard

Good luck in putting a turbo in it. Kenneth Bell had a supercharger available for the 3.7 and there issues with the pistons, rods and crank. Chrysler made a solid block but went light duty on the internals. You would need to rebuild and replace the internals before adding extra boost.

Good luck
What do you mean flash the computer for "towing lights"?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Cobra 75, Firestik Door Jam Mount, HD Spring, 2Ft Firestik
Dunlop Fierce Attitude M/T
rescue575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 07:48 PM   #7
27tubguy
2008 KK Liberty 

advise

Immediatly take a drill, sawzall or whatevers handy and rip stuff off, and put stuff on. JMO
Unread 02-11-2013, 10:59 PM   #8
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

From my understanding the "flash" has something to do with the trailer lights, transmission shifting, vsc, etc. It will actually, help keep the trailer from swaying.

If you end up towing quite a bit, I think they do fit Jeeps with the trailer package with a mechanical clutch fan in addition to the electric one, and heavier duty transmission and power steering cooler. It something we discussed in one of the posts. Personally, my boss has an 08' Lib with the trailer package and been wanting to take look at it everything to be certain.
Unread 02-12-2013, 12:23 AM   #9
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Mine has the tow package and the mech/electric fans. Do you only get the electric fan if you don't have the tow package?
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 04:06 AM   #10
rescue575

2011 KK Liberty 

Ok makes sense but would the flash really make any difference if I added the hitch aftermarket? Obviously I wouldn't have any of the add ons the trailer pkg would provide

Cobra 75, Firestik Door Jam Mount, HD Spring, 2Ft Firestik
Dunlop Fierce Attitude M/T
rescue575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 09:11 PM   #11
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue575 View Post
Ok makes sense but would the flash really make any difference if I added the hitch aftermarket? Obviously I wouldn't have any of the add ons the trailer pkg would provide

Well it depends how much and how long you are towing. There is another post on the site and one of the members wrote up some really good information about it.

If memory serves me correctly I with just n after market hitch your are up to 2K and with the tow package 5K.
Unread 02-12-2013, 10:45 PM   #12
HMNG-Liberty
2012 KK Liberty 

the only thing i plan on towing is mainly a small trailer and my riding mower here and there, so i don't think i'll need to have the ecu flashed.
Unread 02-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #13
KK4x4
2009 KK Liberty 

So let me get this straight I have a Reese class III hitch and a Hopkins 4-pin wiring set up without the tow package and this is basically a crap set up? The hitch came from our old kj and at the time I only knew you could get the factory one from mopar and wasn't about to spend $200+ on theirs so I just moved it to the new one and spliced the wires for my trailer lights. I honestly regret splicing and should have at least just spent the money on the factory 7-pin.
KK4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #14
swamppro
2008 KK Liberty 

I added the class 3 hitch and wiring. No package here. I tow a heavy 22' boat just fine. I a tally need to redo the brakes on my trailer and the jeep still stops it fine.
The jeep pulls very well for its size. I am impressed.

image-2956721703.jpg
swamppro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 12:31 AM   #15
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'll bet the reason for the 2000#limit on non-tow package vehicles is transmission life expectancy. That and the mini spare tire.
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.