New Liberty Owner - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > New Liberty Owner

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-24-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

New Liberty Owner

Hey Guys,

I'm a new Liberty owner and I have a few questions. I've traded in a 2010 Patriot for this KK and I realized.. I know nothing about Libertys other than it was a smart decision to trade for one.

I have a 2009 4x4 with 15k miles now on the clock. Its only additional option is that it has remote start. It does have the chrome wheel skins which I'm not sure about.

What is everyone's preference of the wheel skins? My wife likes them, but I think that Chrome on a Jeep isn't needed. Unless its the side panel that says Liberty. Does anyone know how they come off? I tried pulling on one yesterday but i didn't want to break it.

Are all 4x4 Libertys the same?

Anything I should know about my new Liberty?

LKWJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
xDefiant
2008 KK Liberty 

First off welcome to the libby forum! Those chrome side panels are 3M double sided (foam) taped on. I know because due to extreme heat one of mine started coming off. If you want to change the color of them...plasti dip is always a good option. The liberty platform is a great choice and can look as rugged or as tuner as you want to make it. Take a look around the forum and you will see some of the crazy stuff some of the guys have done.
I have a model year older than yours with double the miles (standard) and I love it, it will get you into and out of whatever you can think of.
xDefiant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #3
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

LKWJEEPER, I saw your nice new blue Libby over on LOST. It looks great! With the low miles, there may not even be any regular maintenance to do yet, other than oil change and filter. I have a 2008 Sport that I picked up a couple of years ago with only 23K miles on it, but now it's lifted and has almost 70K! Love it. Keep up with your maintenance and it will last a long time. What do you want to do with your Libby- daily driver, any offroad in your future? Your answer will determine what mods you might want to do.
Unread 06-24-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

Thanks! for the responses!

The chrome wheel skins is what I was mentioning. They hook onto the wheel and make it look fancier than the silver alloy. I'm not sure what everyone's opinion is of them.. IMO they don't look great with my blue.. but my wife loves it..

I had lifted my Patriot with RRO's spacers, but im not sure if I want to lift the Liberty. It's already 2" higher than my lifted Patriot so I think i'm going to keep that stock.

Im going to use it as a daily driver and maybe some light off roading. The tires are still basically new so once they wear out ill throw on some wider tires.. From what i've read we can fit a 245-70 without a lift? I'm going to put on some darker tints as it has a slight tint right now. I did happen to notice one small chip out of the rear driver side tail lamp.. I think thats an easy fix off of amazon to replace it.

I'm also a huge fan of plasti dip so I was thinking of dipping my wheels and/or the hood to have the renegade look. I think the black hood would look great with my blue.
Unread 06-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #5
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

Heres a pic for this thread
1372023884773.jpg  
Unread 06-24-2013, 06:36 PM   #6
Cutelildevil666
2012 KK Liberty 

As far as 4x4 systems go, the Liberties were equipped with one of two: Command Trac (part time) or Select Trac II (full time). I've seen some debate on which is better, should be within this forum. And correct me if I'm wrong on any of this lol I just know from what I researched for mine.
Unread 06-24-2013, 06:49 PM   #7
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

I believe I have the command because I have 4wd lock. I'm not sure which is better but I don't need 4wd all the time. So that's fine with me.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Unread 06-25-2013, 12:55 AM   #8
ASK87
2009 KK Liberty 

Liberty is a FREAKIN' TANK !! don't worry about its Mechanics , Give her some love and take it offroading

regarding Sensors and electronics uhmmm , you gonna face simple problems here and there occasionally , but hey ,, it's a JEEP thing
ASK87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 02:23 PM   #9
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

Def.. It feels like a tank... I'm already wanting to go where my Patriot wouldn't even dream of hah!
Unread 07-05-2013, 07:50 AM   #10
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

So my new RRO Rails are coming in today, and probably won't be able to install until tomorrow. My KK has the flush mounted side rails that I've read just peel off. I also saw that under the plastic is another piece that is held on by 3M tape. Is that correct? If I wanted to leave that piece on would the RRO Rails stay on? If it has to go I've read that it makes a terrible mess. I do have some Goo Gone so that might help in removing it.

Any suggestions I should know before starting the process? Anyone have problems with their roof leaking after install?
Unread 07-05-2013, 09:42 AM   #11
Stang977
2012 KK Liberty 

You have a perfect candidate for Plastidip. I couldn't dip my chrome latitude rims fast enough. Wifey liked the chrome, but now prefers the black. (knew she'd see the light). In addition, I have dipped my badges, key bezel, and running boards.

Dip yours in 5 coats or so and of you decide to go back, peel it right off.

Lots of great ideas in the "what have you done thread". Welcome and congrats!
Stang977 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #12
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

I took your advice and dipped the wheels while I was installing my rro roof rails.

1373123258668.jpg   1373123273059.jpg   1373123287701.jpg  
Unread 07-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #13
_benjammin
2012 KK Liberty 

Looks great LKW!
_benjammin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #14
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

Thanks!

Unread 07-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #15
Stang977
2012 KK Liberty 

Nice!

Looks great, now dip your key bezel......
Stang977 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.