New KK Owner from WI. Few Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > New KK Owner from WI. Few Questions

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 06-29-2013, 09:32 AM   #1
laserj

New KK Owner from WI. Few Questions

Picked up an 08 Liberty Limited with SkySlider and Nav. Since it's used and 4x4 we purchased the extra warranty to go along with it. I'm pretty handy with vehicles but I know certain components can be expensive, so we got the warranty.

Only thing missing is the tow package. I want to do some towing eventually. Like a flatbed trailer to haul a four wheeler or two. What's a good/recommended hitch? Also what do you recommend for a wiring kit for the trailer lights?

Here are some pics.

laserj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
MtBJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserj
Picked up an 08 Liberty Limited with SkySlider and Nav. Since it's used and 4x4 we purchased the extra warranty to go along with it. I'm pretty handy with vehicles but I know certain components can be expensive, so we got the warranty.

Only thing missing is the tow package. I want to do some towing eventually. Like a flatbed trailer to haul a four wheeler or two. What's a good/recommended hitch? Also what do you recommend for a wiring kit for the trailer lights?

Here are some pics.
Stick with OEM receiver/wiring.
MtBJet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

Looks great, you'll love the skyslider! Most people stay with Mopar hitch. It sits flush with the bumper unlike aftermarket, you just end up paying a little more for it.
Bmxer524 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

Looks great! I'm sure you'll love the mygig as well. I had one in my Patriot before I got the Liberty.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
LKWJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 09:34 PM   #5
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I read somewhere about someone having various dash lights turn on when towing. They had to have the dealership reprogram the computer so that it knows that you are towing a load. You may need to do this, not sure.
Rob K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #6
_benjammin
2012 KK Liberty 

I'll recommend the MOPAR hitch and wiring too. Flush receiver, "plug and play" wiring.
_benjammin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 12:33 PM   #7
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Nice Jeep ! Go Mopar also when shopping the Jeep site check multiple dealerships in your area. I have seen prices as high as 290 installed. I installed mine myself and paid 210. Make sure you make a paper print out of the price to the dealer you are going too and call them too confirm the price. Eventually I will go with the mopar wiring and computer flash when I have to tow a trailer
Unread 06-30-2013, 01:36 PM   #8
MtBJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncherello
Nice Jeep ! Go Mopar also when shopping the Jeep site check multiple dealerships in your area. I have seen prices as high as 290 installed. I installed mine myself and paid 210. Make sure you make a paper print out of the price to the dealer you are going too and call them too confirm the price. Eventually I will go with the mopar wiring and computer flash when I have to tow a trailer
Self install of the receiver is easy... Save some cash there. The wiring can be a little bit of a pain but still easy in the scheme of things... A lift makes this easier.
MtBJet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 07:52 PM   #9
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

Also remember to take it easy towing. You don't have a transmission cooler that comes with the stock setup so I would stay as light as possible and go with the aggressive service schedule too.
Skipper6413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 08:31 PM   #10
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

Definitely go OEM.
huntb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 11:01 PM   #11
AtTheHelm

If you're only going to tow smaller trailers then the curt wiring harness is all you need. No dealer and easy to install.
AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #12
laserj

Thanks for the replies. I'll def look at the Mopar set. Immediately I want to have a hitch for a bicycle mount for the rear. Then I'd like a small flat bed trailer so we can use to haul a snow blower, couches, furniture etc. Lastly I'd like to own a four wheeler in a year or two and want to be able to haul that on a small trailer.

I think that should be doable with a 5000lb tow rating. I come from the sports car world, this towing/offroad stuff is new to me. I'm pretty hand with working on vehicles but $290 dealer installed sounds really reasonable.
Unread 07-01-2013, 05:31 PM   #13
Stang977
2012 KK Liberty 

Dealer installed Mopar hitch and wiring for me. No complaints. Going easy as Skipper suggests. No cooler.
Stang977 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 10:31 PM   #14
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Don't all Libs come with a transmission cooler? Aren't the lines right around driver side where you can stick a tow hook or is that the steering. I thought all Libs had tranny coolers but the trailer package came with a heavy duty system. Not sure just asking.
Unread 07-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #15
laserj

Got a quote from the Dealer. $465 for hitch receiver and 4 pin wiring kit with labor. That's a little steep I thought. They sell the Hitch for $188.74 and $50.96 for the 4pin wiring kit. So that's about $240 right there. So another $220 with labor, yikes. I think I'll get the kit and do it myself.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.