JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   KK Liberty Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/)
-   -   New KK owner. Need some ideas. (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/new-kk-owner-need-some-ideas-1503245/)

Rob K 04-02-2013 09:36 PM

New KK owner. Need some ideas.

I've been hanging on the XJ forum daily for several years, but now I get to hang on the KK forum as well.

I currently drive a 95 XJ, but it's old and tired. I searched for a long time for another with low miles and did not find what I want. Waited for the new Cherokee to come out and I can't stand the way it looks. So yesterday I got a real good deal on a 2011 KK, 10k miles, Command Trac 4x4, Class 3 towing. That's about all I know so far. The KK is about the closest thing on the road to my Cherokee so I'm diggin it so far. I should be able to drive it for a good 15 years so I'll be hanging out here a lot.

I have a few questions though. Maybe some of you have been through all this already and can help me out. I looking for some accessories.

First thing is I wish it had more gauges. I like being able to monitor oil pressure, tranny temp, battery voltage among other things. Is there something on the market kind of like the Scangauge that has a decent size display so you can monitor things easily while driving. Looking for something like a digital gauge cluster. I'm not going to hook up gauges since the vehicle is under warranty. I need something I can just plug in to the diagnostic port.

I need to come up with some decent, but not expensive seat covers. Also need a set of deep floor mats that will catch water. I'm sure you all have been through this already.

Anyone hauling big canoes. I'm not impressed with the existing roof rack. My canoe is 17ft and I'd like to hall it centered over the vehicle. I need a removable roof rack that extends the length of the roof. Who's idea was it to make such a short rack?:rolleyes: The XJ was great because all you had to do was clamp one rack to the gutter in front and one in back. Easy on and off and the canoe was for the most part centered over the vehicle. Since the KK is taller than my XJ I'm probably going to need a roller on the back to get the beast up there. Anyone done the research on canoe racks?

I'm looking to get set up in the next month and then it's fish'n road trip time.

Poncherello 04-02-2013 09:51 PM

When it comes to racks Yakima and Thule are the industry leaders. I have '10 Lib with the stock roof rails, Jeep Cross Bars and Yakima Load Warrior basket with extension. I would have no problem strapping a canoe on top. I actually bought some foam pads which I put on the basket for Kyack and my fishing rods.

Rocky Road makes some really nice roof rails, but heard mixed things about their customer service.

Anyway I would say check out Rocky Road, Yakima and Thule for starters and go from there.

I went to Pep Boys and for like $40.00 I had gotten black Neoprene Seat Covers for my Lib. I still need to secure the rear seat cover but does repel moisture pretty good. My buddy purchased real expensive ones from Quadrajet for his Wrangler. The vehicle is leased I thought it was a bad idea unless he was planning to buy it outright. He paid like $500.

I agree the new Cherokee with recessed headlights that will work great in a snow storm, where snow will not be caked in looks like cockroach.

Good luck and feel free to visit some of the threads and posts and welcome to the forum

MtBJet 04-02-2013 09:54 PM

Check out Bluedriver if you have an iPhone or iPad. It's OBDII and has multiple gauges to choose from.

Ted15 04-03-2013 04:03 AM

It looks like Rocklizard is back in business. They have a few different options.

Rob K 04-03-2013 09:40 PM

Thanks. I'll check this stuff out soon as I get a chance. This week is busy.

Rob K 04-03-2013 09:43 PM

Did a little research on engine monitors. Scangauge2 is an option, but it only displays 4 things at a time on a small screen. Dashdaq has some stuff that looks interesting. Looked at PLX stuff also. Just starting the research on this stuff.

Was looking on Quadratec and the have some floor mat options. Anyone have experience or preference between the Husky and Weathertech mats? Any similar custom fit kk mats on the market that should take a look at?

Checked out Rocky Road, Thule, Yakima. Unless I missed it they only have stuff that mounts in the factory locations. The rails are coming off. I probably have to make a custom crossbar that mounts near the wind shield and one near the lift gate. This would be the best option for my 17+ft canoe. I just need to do some research to figure out how to do it. I'm used to having gutters to clamp onto so I might have to tare into the KK and see what I can figure out. I'm thinking round crossbar in back with a padded pvc pipe over that for a roller. That should allow me to get Big Red on the roof. Dad made the red fiberglass canoe in the 70's and I've been in it since a child. Definitely need to make a better rack.

Rob K 04-03-2013 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MtBJet (Post 15238076)
Check out Bluedriver if you have an iPhone or iPad. It's OBDII and has multiple gauges to choose from.

No iphone or ipad. I'll need something with a display. Hopefully not as small as the Scanguage2.

blackvyper 04-04-2013 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob K (Post 15243770)

No iphone or ipad. I'll need something with a display. Hopefully not as small as the Scanguage2.

Check out Torque Pro if you're using an Android phone. I have a Bluetooth OBDII adapter hooked up to my KJ and it works great with my Galaxy Note. It has more gauges than the Space Shuttle.

Rob K 04-04-2013 06:52 PM

Sounds good, but I'm a flip phone guy. lol It would be nice to find something that was like 3"x6" and could display a set of 6 gauges at the same time. I might have to go with the text readout of the Scangauge2. I'll keep searching.

Decided to get Weathertech floor liners. Now to find some custom fit seat covers.

Found some crossbars that clamp on the roof at the door frame. Took a look at the KK and found they are pretty well rounded so I don't think this style of clamp is going to work. Still may have to make something. What's the deal with the plastic filled channels that run the length of the roof on both sides? Are these there to add rigidity to the roof. I see these on a lot of vehicles these days.

Ted15 04-05-2013 06:48 AM

I pretty sure the rubber covers a seam. Under that rubber somewhere, there should be some threaded studs that the roof rails bolt to. There are aftermarket rail available from Rocklizard as well as a couple different racks. You could also get the OEM rails if you don't need anything heavy duty.

eoerikson3 04-05-2013 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob K (Post 15248180)
Sounds good, but I'm a flip phone guy. lol It would be nice to find something that was like 3"x6" and could display a set of 6 gauges at the same time. I might have to go with the text readout of the Scangauge2. I'll keep searching.

Decided to get Weathertech floor liners. Now to find some custom fit seat covers.

Found some crossbars that clamp on the roof at the door frame. Took a look at the KK and found they are pretty well rounded so I don't think this style of clamp is going to work. Still may have to make something. What's the deal with the plastic filled channels that run the length of the roof on both sides? Are these there to add rigidity to the roof. I see these on a lot of vehicles these days.

They're there so when you roll over the Liberty you can sled upside down. :laugh:

Seriously, when the roof rack is deleted at the factory they put those in its place. You can replace them with the roof rack.

Here is a link to them at JustForJeeps

Rob K 04-05-2013 11:13 PM

I have the side rails, but they don't go all the way to the front of the roof, that's the problem I have. My canoe is huge, about 4 feet longer than the jeep itself. The factory rack is not going to work. I need to get that front bar as far forward as possible. I plan on removing the factory side rails. There is a channel that runs the length of the roof that has black plastic in it. The side rails are mounted on top of this channel and piece of plastic. So If I remove all this stuff I will find a seam? I'm trying to figure out a way to mount a removable crossbar up near the wind shield. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Ted15 04-06-2013 04:07 AM

There isn't anything there, you're better off either having a custom rack made or putting one of athehelm's front receivers on and using one of those canoe supports. Like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001D1...mw_dp_img?is=l

Rob K 04-06-2013 10:48 AM

For now I'll use some of those foam blocks to carry it on the roof. I'm not crazy about them though since they grind dirt into the paint. Sounds like a custom rack is my only option.

Rob K 04-17-2013 03:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I bought he Weathertech floor liners. $188 to my door from Weathertech. For what I payed for them I wish they were better. I would like to see them cover more of the carpet and be a heavier gauge material. That said they are still better than anything I've used in the past. They should hold plenty of water and keep the carpet dry. The floors shouldn't rust on the inside like my last Jeep.

Liners are about 1.5 times as thick as a quarter.

The time now is 09:57 PM.