New Jeep! Getting 9 mpg city - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > New Jeep! Getting 9 mpg city

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 09-23-2014, 07:32 PM   #1
abbeymac

New Jeep! Getting 9 mpg city

Hello All-

One week ago I purchased a 2008 Jeep Liberty Sport. 60k miles, 4x4, 4WD, 3.7 L and 6cyl.
I have been driving it in the city for the pass week, and filled up several times, each time keeping a record. After doing the math today I see that I am averaging 8-9mpg

I can literally watch the fuel gauge move down as I am driving. I am a conservative driver- I always keep rpms below 2.5, no harsh braking or accelerating.

I am nervous that I will not be able to afford the fuel this car eats, as I drive approximately 15-20 miles per day for work.

I bought the car used from a dealership, premium warranty.

Thanks!

abbeymac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2014, 07:41 PM   #2
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

Hi abbeymac, you and I are in the same town! I get 12 mpg city with a 4 inch lift and Goodyear Duratracs, so if your KK is stock, then there is definitely something going on. Do you know what maintenance was done prior to you buying it? I would suggest taking care of the easy things first.
1) Change the spark plugs (get regular NGK's or Champions, no platinums or iridiums because our engines don't like these).
2) Change the engine air filter.
3) It may be worth giving the throttle body a good wipe down as well if it is full of carbon.
4) If the oil hasn't been changed recently (it will look dark brown rather than golden if it is old), you should do that.
5) I'd also try running a bottle of fuel injector cleaner through with your next tank of gas.
I'm sure some other KK folks will chime in as well. You should be getting at least 14-15 mpg city with a stock Liberty, and up to 21-23 highway. Welcome to JeepForum!
Unread 09-23-2014, 07:55 PM   #3
NAMoulton
2010 KK Liberty 

At 60,000mi a lot a maintenance was supposed to have been done. I noticed a 1-2mpg increase for the first few thousand miles after changing diff, transmission, and transfer case fluids/filters. Some dealers are cheap with their maintenance and try to sell at the mark to make you pay more for the needed maintenance.
Unread 09-23-2014, 08:44 PM   #4
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

One other thought: Does it slow down pretty quickly when you coast? Or do you have a hot brake rotor after driving? A stuck brake caliper could also sap your mileage. But if you are still running the original spark plugs (which should be changed every 30,000 miles), that could also do it.
Unread 09-23-2014, 08:45 PM   #5
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

A 100% full tank and to empty is yielding 8-9 mpg? Something is wrong?
How many MILES to a tank are you getting?
Definitely change the plugs, oil, clean the throttle body, differential oils, transfer case fluid, and trans fluid.
I'd also get it scanned to see if it has any codes.
A stock KK should be getting 250-300 miles to a tank in the city.
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2014, 10:55 PM   #6
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

The worst I've ever gotten was 8mpg pure city in a blizzard(I had tcs off and was in rwd, I messed around that whole week also on 3.5" of lift with 245/75-16 duratracs). Stock I averaged 12-14. Closer to 12 in the winter.

Change your fluids, change the air filter, change your plugs. How often do you drive on the highway? Try getting on it a little. You gotta jump on it every now and then to blow the cobwebs out. Mine sees 4k+ rpm multiple times on a daily basis. Mine normally shifts into 2nd around 3-3500(just as you come into the power band)
Unread 09-24-2014, 08:05 AM   #7
abbeymac

Thank you all for your responses, now for my responses.

-Tires, new- FIRESTONE, I can get size when I run to lunch

-It slows down quite quickly when I take my foot off of the gas, does not have much coast in it (assuming flat land)

-My last tank was 170 miles, I am on track for 175 miles this tank

-I drove it on the highway over the weekend going about 75. 1.5 hours of driving put me at between 1/4 and 1/2 a tank (best gas mileage I have gotten)

Thanks!
abbeymac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2014, 07:31 PM   #8
brunolambert
2008 KK Liberty 

9mpg sounds about right for winter city driving.
Unread 09-24-2014, 10:27 PM   #9
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbeymac View Post

-It slows down quite quickly when I take my foot off of the gas, does not have much coast in it (assuming flat land)

-I drove it on the highway over the weekend going about 75. 1.5 hours of driving put me at between 1/4 and 1/2 a tank (best gas mileage I have gotten)

Thanks!
Something is not right here.
Are you stuck in 4wd or something?
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2014, 06:21 AM   #10
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

I thought my 13 mpg was bad, and I'm not even close to stock anymore.
Unread 09-25-2014, 11:02 AM   #11
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Hard to tell about my mpg now running Bridgestone Revo2 265/70r16 my odometer and speedometer are off. Prior I was getting 16-17 mpg all around.

Hill ascent/descents, running the AC, goosing it at the lights and sudden stops.

Try using a different gas station when you fill reset trip meter.
Unread 09-25-2014, 12:01 PM   #12
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

Shouldn't be too far off. Probably about 4% or so, like my 245/75-16s.
Unread 09-27-2014, 07:16 AM   #13
Cleaner13

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbeymac View Post

Thanks!
Im willing to bet you have a stuck caliper. It happen on my wife's KK around 65K miles or so.

There are different levels of it, but I was able to tell a few ways.
The first and easiest is to drive around approximately 5 miles or more and physically touch all your wheels. On ours the front passenger was very hot.

The other thing you can try to is put the jeep in neutral and try to push it, if you cannot move it, the caliper is stuck.

Above all else, I would also do as suggested from the others about all the maintenance. Its simple and cheap to do and atleast you know it was done and correct.

You dont have anything obvious like check engine light or a high idle(from vaccuum leak etc) right?
Unread 09-28-2014, 06:17 PM   #14
pinion
1998 ZJ 

[QUOTE=Gageraid;25701154]A 100% full tank and to empty is yielding 8-9 mpg? Something is wrong?

I'll say..... but have you ever noticed, how many people do not know how to compute fuel mileage? It is amazing.

Then there are the trolls out here............

Why doesn't anybody talk about resetting the cpu by disconnecting the battery or changing the pcv valve?

Are you dividing miles traveled by the position of the gas tank gauge?

Last edited by pinion; 09-29-2014 at 07:37 AM..
pinion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2014, 03:58 AM   #15
josworth
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinion View Post
Why doesn't anybody talk about resetting the cpu by disconnecting the battery or changing the pvc valve?

Are you dividing miles traveled by the position of the gas tank gauge?
I'm pretty sure the OP is using either the miles traveled / gallons to fill or the EVIC calculated MPG. The internal MPG computer is pretty darn close. I tracked mine for two months and the computer was within 1% to 2% of the calculated number.

"pvc valve"???? I'm sure you meant the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) valve. Not sure how that would drastically effect MPG considering there are actually two vents from the engine.. the PCV is routed to the intake and the secondary to the airbox. So, even if the PCV was stuck or clogged, excess pressure would be vented to the airbox. If it is stuck open you would just get a little more "oily air" into the intake... since the intake is a air inlet only, again that wouldn't effect that much. If it did, there was something very seriously wrong causing excessive crankcase pressure and oil loss.

Please enlighten the OP on how resetting the computer could bring MPG back to the 15 they should be seeing in mellow city driving.

Now, I'm not a troll, just jumping in before this goes off track. The first few posters suggesting plugs, a check of the 4wd, and the possibility of a dragging caliper were all sound suggestions therefore I haven't stepped in.

Personally, I think it is just in need of a tune up. Filter change and plugs.

2010 Jeep Liberty Limited
josworth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.