New here! Banging noise on my Liberty - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > New here! Banging noise on my Liberty

JKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-27-2010, 02:56 PM   #1
DentonTrue
2009 KK Liberty 

New here! Banging noise on my Liberty

Hi, I'm new here!

Recently I signed up for our local Community Auxiliary Patrol, part of the Neighborhood Watch program. It's great! And the cool thing about it is we have a Liberty as our patrol car!!

I saw the white Liberty roaming around my buddy Matt DeSiato's neighborhood. It was the sharp looking 2009 Liberty with offroad package that caught my eye first then I noticed the magnetic sign on the side that stated it was an official Community Auxiliary Patrol vehicle.

I started looking into it and realized what I've been missing all along. I have been working construction the past year since getting out of baseball and making good money but its hard work! I decided a job in law enforcement soots my style better.

I took the mandatory training course and have been issued a patrol route and schedule. It is our job as volunteers to detect, deter, and delay crime. I am now qualified to make a citizens arrest. And the best part is I get to drive the Liberty in doing so!

So my question, I hear a banging noise in the rear of the Jeep on occassion. It doesn't happen all the time but when I got over a speed bump at more than 20 mph, I can hear a "thud" directly after, like an echo. I'm not sure what it could be? The Liberty is under warranty but having it out of service for a couple days could put our patrols at risk (I don't currently have my own car - I'm hoping for a loan from my dad so I can put some money down on a new Ford Flex or maybe a Wrangler Unlimited). So if it's not a matter of great concern, I can ignore it. I'll turn up my iPod to drown it out LOL! (thank goodness for that auxiliary jack!)

DentonTrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2010, 05:21 PM   #2
Elt31987

2008 KK Liberty 

Jeeps arn't cars but welcome to the forum. As for the banging noise it could be the upper shock mounts. I had an issue where hose were lose and I simply tightened them and all was good. Does the noise sound metallic? Like a thud? Is it on the passengers side? Front? Middle? Back? Of vehicle?
Daystar 2" Spacer Lift With SkyJacker Hydro Shocks
JBA Gen 5.5 Upper Control Arms
Rokmen Riddler 8.25 Differential Cover
2 KC Slimlite 100 Watt Driving Lights on JK Light Bar
245/75/16 All Terrains
Mopar Front Tow Hooks
Mopar Rear Tow Hook
Mopar Skids
Elt31987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2010, 06:09 AM   #3
DentonTrue
2009 KK Liberty 

Thanks for the reply. No, not metallic, more thud like.

My patrol partner, an older genetleman who likes to be called "Coop", told me the Liberty is not meant to go over speed bumps that fast and it might be the cause of the noise. He also is always telling me to slow down. I told him that it's a Jeep and it is built to handle such obstacles more so than a civilian's car. Also, being a member of the CAP, we aren't held to posted speed limits and stop signs, similar to when a cop is on patrol.

The Liberty is great for our purposes because it's rugged enough to handle off-roading (like if I need to drive up on a lawn or a shortcut through a park) but refined enough for cruising in the evening, after patrol hours. I really like it!
DentonTrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2010, 06:51 AM   #4
Elt31987

2008 KK Liberty 

Ya mine was a thud caused by the upper shock mount not be tight. You can see it right about the rear tires
Daystar 2" Spacer Lift With SkyJacker Hydro Shocks
JBA Gen 5.5 Upper Control Arms
Rokmen Riddler 8.25 Differential Cover
2 KC Slimlite 100 Watt Driving Lights on JK Light Bar
245/75/16 All Terrains
Mopar Front Tow Hooks
Mopar Rear Tow Hook
Mopar Skids
Elt31987 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.