JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   KK Liberty Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/)
-   -   New here 3.7l problems! (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/new-here-3-7l-problems-1512590/)

LacyM 04-21-2013 06:34 PM

New here 3.7l problems!

Let me start by saying I love my 08 liberty. I've never been on this forum before so I don't know where to start... also important is that I bought my jeep when it was a year old and it already had 42000 miles on it. In four years, I have only driven 30,000 miles and never had it off road. It has been very well maintained since I've had it.

My jeep has 72k miles, and has already had more problems than any vehicle I've ever owned. At 60k, it broke down, at a stop light and I was stranded. It was my 4th cylinder. Spring broke, valve broke, had to have the head re-machined, $2000 to fix it. Here I am, 2 years later, at 72k, and it broke down again a month ago. It was out of time, had to have a new timing kit, come to find out it also needed a new battery and some new plugs, as well as a new throttle body. Everything is fixed but the throttle body, it's on back order while they remanufacture them. Another $2000 repair. Once he got it opened up, I had another broken valve spring...lucky for me, it hadn't completely snapped yet, or I would have been looking at 4k in repairs this time around.

Has anyone else had this problem with the newer 3.7l engines.? I know its a problem with the older ones but usually not until closer to 100k.

lfhoward 04-21-2013 07:15 PM

I'm sorry for your bad luck! I've been on LOSTJeeps and this forum now for over a year and what you are describing seems pretty rare to me. I love my '08 KK too. The 3.7 V6 engine is a little noisier than my previous 4.0 I6 in my XJ, but everything seems fine with it so far. I'm at about 62,000 miles.

Poncherello 04-21-2013 07:50 PM

I have 46K on my 2010. The only major issue I had was a rear crank seal leaked twice, and the egr valve had to be replaced. It was annoying, but covered under warranty. Other than that it runs great, I do oil changes every 6K using synthetic oil only and the oil is in the safe zone during every change.

They say the 3.7 is that it is a 90 degree engine where as some say that is optimum for an 8, they say a 6 should be 60 degrees. I am still reading up on this, but it is one of the reasons why there are counter acting shafts with in the motor to keep it balanced and in the past manufacturers have had issues with 90 degree v-6's. Again I'm not an expert and still reading about it. I think a 90 degree is more compact hence why it was used and modeled after the 4.7 v-8. Again I am no expert.

The good thing it is a proven engine and people I know have had no issues with well over 150K. Furthermore, 3.7's way on developing torque in a nice curve early in the rpm range and not being just peaky. I would love to see a Dyno test on a stock motor, but its one of the reason why it is a good motor for the heavy Liberty.

Anyway sorry to hear about your troubles and hope when you get them fixed it stays that way

LacyM 04-21-2013 08:42 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I hadn't heard of many people with the newer engines having problems. I spoke with several people who had kjs that had similar problems when it happened the first time, and they suggested I contact Chrysler. That got me no where. And now that its happened a second time, I just feel lucky that a $3 spring didn't cause another couple grand in damage!

huntb 04-21-2013 10:15 PM

How often do you change your oil?

Bmxer524 04-22-2013 12:19 AM

The 3.7 has been used in the Libertys since 02. I never really heard of problems like that. Maybe you just got a bad engine or it isn't/wasn't maintained properly. There is quite a few 3.7s out there with 200,000+ miles on them.

I have a feeling 1 of the pros will poke their head in here and have something helpful to say though

BillyP 04-22-2013 08:08 PM

I have over 95k miles on my 08. Only problem I've had is the waterpump at @ 80k.

LacyM 04-24-2013 09:47 PM

I have looked around and found more than 100 people that have had the same issue, some with no more than 24000I miles (that one was a 2011). I know the kjs have this problem, and lucky for me, after getting back on Friday, another spring snapped this morning. It left on a tow truck again. I contacted Chrysler, again, and tried to explain the problem. The valve spring is clearly faulty. They won't do anything to help me because I'm the second owner of the vehicle. It is ridiculous.

My vehicle is maintained very well, oil changes approximately 3 times a year (and I only average 7k per year in mileage). It's never been off road, never been above 80mph highway speed, and I've had new tires, brakes, and tail lights put on since I've had it. It's not been driven hard, it's been well-maintained, it's just a junk engine.

It's not safe. When it loses compression, it locks up completely. Brakes, accelerator, wheels, everything just stops. The first time, the spring snapped as I was coming up to an intersection and traffic behind me was slowing down. If it had to come to a stop like that while I was on a highway, I wouldn't be here today to write this message
On March 14th, when it started acting up, it was revving and jumping, and shaking. It would start to die if I took my foot off the accelerator, and I ended up having to cross traffic on a busy highway to get to a safe place to stop. Once it was opened they found the 2nd broken spring and thankfully it hadn't snapped yet.

Today marks 96 hours since it got out of the shop. It hasn't been over 2000rpms since it left the shop, and has only been driven 20 miles. I woke up this morning, started it to warm it up, and it was knocking. I can only hope I dont have to have the head remachined again.

It's not safe for me to be in this vehicle, and my child will certainly never be in it again.

x99j 04-25-2013 06:26 AM

it is interesting the spring problems you are having? the valve springs were updated with a new design in 05. this failure is very rare in the 08 and up kk designation. most of the failures seem to be in the 02-04 range after 120,000 miles.

Zak62592 05-05-2013 09:44 PM

Maybe it needs an italian tune-up ;)

The time now is 10:04 AM.