New 2012 KK owner coming from a built XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > New 2012 KK owner coming from a built XJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 10-08-2014, 09:28 AM   #1
jth877
1999 XJ Cherokee 

New 2012 KK owner coming from a built XJ

This is an update from my previous thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/...nt-xj-2586570/

Plain Jane silver sport. I'm not a huge fan of silver, but it shows less dirt/road film. 16k on the clock. Spent last weekend undercoating it with a combination of Eastwood's heavy duty anti-rust and fluid film. I'm going to make this thing last. Found painted over staples in the fender flares and freaked out a bit thinking it had been in an accident (carfax was very clean). After doing some research it turns out the staples are there to put a charge on the plastic part for electrostatic painting. Most jeeps with painted flares have them. Weird.

It's hard to compare the KK to the XJ. For one the XJ is built and the KK is stock. I find the KK suspension way too soft. The *** twerks like crazy over RR tracks. The engine is adequate. I hope the KK will grow on me, but I'm having a hard time switching over from my beloved XJ. I'm sure my snotty neighbors will be happy to see the cherokee go I will be putting a new suspension on the KK next summer. I'm either going with OME or Tommudd econo. They both probably ride well, but I'm wondering if I'll need new UCAs with the OME or not. If I need them regardless for alignment then I might as well get the Tommudd lift.

Here a shot of the two. Notice the roof lines are at the same height even though the XJ is lifted ~6" and on 33" duratracks.

Unread 10-08-2014, 10:14 AM   #2
rangerr47
2012 KK Liberty 

If your wondering if it will do anything the XJ would Id say it will do 80% of what it would do. The Wrangler and the XJ are in their own league. Then comes the rest, the KK will do anything any other 4x4 can do pretty much with better suspension and tires. Once you put the new suspension on there, the ride will be much better for sure. There is not as many options to build up the KK, you only have a couple suspension options, couple this and that options. But you can build one up pretty well if you want and be one of the few rarer Jeeps on the trails.

Seeing as you went thru all this on the XJ, get the arms while your doing the lift and be done with it. Some with say they did not need them, others say they were hitting on the big stuff without em....With what little options you have, add the arms for the extra clearance they give and when your lifted they look nice as well ,and we all know looking cool is part of it...For lift, Id say the OME is the most popular with TM Eco lift being a close second. You cant go wrong with either for sure. I did the OME with top plates and extra ISOs in the back for a full 3" with Bilsteins and Als A arms, very happy with my choice. It was stiff for about a month or so, then it smoothed right out and its good to go now.

Again with you beefing up your old XJ, keep ATtheHelm in mind, hes a member here that does all sorts of stuff for KKs, from roof racks\rails to big bad azz bumpers front and back.
rangerr47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2014, 10:46 AM   #3
jth877
1999 XJ Cherokee 

80% is fine with me! I don't really have time for the hardcore stuff anymore. It was the trail time it was fixing the XJ afterward that took so much time. My wife is thrilled that I have an all season dependable vehicle now and I'm happy I kept it in the family. The way I see it the closest thing you can get to the XJ is a Liberty. Case closed. The Mustang sleeps during the winter. You southern people are so lucky. Better laws and year round driving the RWD hot cars.

I'm leaning towards the OME with arms right now. Cooper AT3s (255/70r16 on lobos.
Unread 10-08-2014, 01:01 PM   #4
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

If you want to go over 3 inches of lift then I'd highly advise getting the UCAs from JBA. Makes it so much easier to align etc, plus ball joint is replaceable. The factory setup ( springs and shocks) are very weak from the get go, lets the whole thing wallow instead of being a nice driving Jeep.
Stick with tires in the 245-75-16 range or smaller unless you want to regear. wheels 7 inch wide / 4 inches of backspacing work great.
If going with the TM Econo kit use the .500 spacer if you want a level sitting KK, if you want a rake like stock go with the next size down
OME and Ironman are both good setups, I have personally ran both on mine. Front setup is the same on the KJs and KKs only difference is the rear springs, rear shocks are the same as well
Unread 10-08-2014, 01:08 PM   #5
rangerr47
2012 KK Liberty 

Ya being in Dallas I have to deal with about 1 solid week of snow and ice a year...make it through that and your good...heh

Sounds like you are on the right path for sure, I have all you listed including the Cooper AT3s, only I got them right away before my lift and they are stock 225...dont get me wrong I love the tires, but with only 20k on them they are in way too good of shape still to justify replacing them with bigger...When the time comes Im leaning towards one of the Mamba rims and more than likely 245 75 16
rangerr47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2014, 01:22 PM   #6
jth877
1999 XJ Cherokee 

At least you get to drive in it for a week. That makes me feel better.

245/70R16 is 183.75mm of sidewall. 255/70r16 is 178.5mm. Stock is 168.75mm. My XJ had 4.56 gears which is more that putting it at stock with a 33" tire.

I'd like to keep the tire diameter on the KK closer to stock so I don't have that sluggish feeling. Would 4" of backspace work with 255/70R16s or should I go a little wider? What's the stock backspace? I was thinking a set of MOAB jeep wheels would be perfect. I see that Mamba makes a close copy of them.
Unread 10-08-2014, 01:42 PM   #7
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth877 View Post
At least you get to drive in it for a week. That makes me feel better.

245/70R16 is 183.75mm of sidewall. 255/70r16 is 178.5mm. Stock is 168.75mm. My XJ had 4.56 gears which is more that putting it at stock with a 33" tire.

I'd like to keep the tire diameter on the KK closer to stock so I don't have that sluggish feeling. Would 4" of backspace work with 255/70R16s or should I go a little wider? What's the stock backspace? I was thinking a set of MOAB jeep wheels would be perfect. I see that Mamba makes a close copy of them.
Stock is 5 inches of back spacing , 4 inches of backspacing when lifted sits the tire/wheel combo out enough so its out at the edge of the flare but not out far enough to cause issues when flexing out.
255-70-16s is a good size as well to go with. Most of the mamba wheels are 8 inches wide and not as strong as the Moabs that came on the Rubicons.
Unread 10-09-2014, 08:09 AM   #8
jth877
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I really like the look of the 16" moabs. Too bad they are rare. I'll keep my eye out for them. Any other decent budget minded alloys? 16"x8", 4" BS are much harder to find than 15x8!
Unread 10-09-2014, 08:12 AM   #9
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
I really like the look of the 16" moabs. Too bad they are rare. I'll keep my eye out for them. Any other decent budget minded alloys? 16"x8", 4" BS are much harder to find than 15x8!
7 inch wide is all you need for any tire you can run
8 inch wide with 4 inches of backspacing is going to give you more issues with rubbing when turning and flexing. Some will tell you they run them like that but mainly to the mall or have to run more bumpstop
Unread 10-09-2014, 12:02 PM   #10
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

You said you liked OME, you can make the old econo lift with OME springs.

This is my KK on the old OME econo lift. This was a month or so after install, and on 245/75-16 duratracs. No rake, or a slight nose high rake(like 1/8" higher up front):

Basically you do the same as the Tommudd kit.
Front: 1/4" spacer plate, 3/8" clevis, OME 927, choice of shocks(I used Bilstein, you can choose whichever you like), JBA a-arms, and bumpstops
Rear:OME 731, choice of shocks(again, I used Bilstein), bumpstops, and 2 extra rear isolators added to the top(total of 4 extra).

It'll net you 3.5" with the ride and longevity of the OME lift. You can add extended rear sway bar links and extended brake lines to the rear if you want/have the money. They're coming up on my list.
Unread 10-09-2014, 01:21 PM   #11
jth877
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Forgive me if I'm wrong but the 16" MOABs look like they are only 16x8...
Unread 10-09-2014, 02:24 PM   #12
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Forgive me if I'm wrong but the 16" MOABs look like they are only 16x8...
Yes you are correct on that BUT 5 inches of backspacing so tucks them in better , where as a 8 inch wide with 4 inches of backspacing will stick out more and can cause rubbing in the fenderwells
Unread 10-09-2014, 02:33 PM   #13
jth877
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks! That settles it then.

Quadratec has moab copies for $99. That looks like the winner for me. http://www.quadratec.com/products/92615_210X_PG.htm

I had crager V5s on the XJ and after a couple of years they started to rust at the welds. Steelies look like crap after a few seasons up here.
Unread 10-09-2014, 02:35 PM   #14
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Unread 10-09-2014, 06:27 PM   #15
nfodzy
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Thanks! That settles it then.

Quadratec has moab copies for $99. That looks like the winner for me. http://www.quadratec.com/products/92615_210X_PG.htm

I had crager V5s on the XJ and after a couple of years they started to rust at the welds. Steelies look like crap after a few seasons up here.
Wow thank you so much for finding those. I've been searching for a used set forever but everyone is asking so much!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.