New 2011 Liberty with Vibration and Growl - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > New 2011 Liberty with Vibration and Growl

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 05-02-2011, 06:32 PM   #1
wheels333

New 2011 Liberty with Vibration and Growl

I purchased a 2011 Liberty last month and have put 1000 miles on it.

Under power there is a growl and vibration. You can feel it in the floor and even through the gas pedal. 40 mph plus

If I coast about 80% of the growl noise goes away and much of the vibration stays. The vibration does not shake you, but it is a nuisance to say the least. Makes the purchase very disappointing.

I took it to the dealer service manager who drove it and he said it was normal and called it "torque converter lockup".

I am bringing it back to the dealer to get a better resolution.

Any ideas would be apprecitated.

wheels333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2011, 04:17 PM   #2
VMF
2008 KK Liberty 

test drive another liberty off the lot, see if it has the same thing you are describing. if not, bring it to the attention of the service guy, if its the same well u know its a jeep, not a luxury car
2004 UCF31. Black
2001 EM2. Inca pearl
2012 UD Limited. Royal Gray
VMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
RB145
2014 WK 

When I had my 09 Liberty it had a growl or drone at about 50mph after torque converter locked up. I think it was really the exhaust you feel with the engine under load. It was normal because I compared to another one that did the same thing. The persons vehicle that I compared it with didn't even notice it, but I found to be annoying. I think this is something that should have been worked out by engineering instead of just saying "Its a Jeep".
RB145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2011, 07:25 AM   #4
VMF
2008 KK Liberty 

there are certain trade offs that im willing to deal with in terms of sacrificing luxury for offroad prowess. vibrations and ride quality are one of them. KK is not affected by them as much as lets say JK is. unfortunately engineering is not going to work out anything for liberty anymore since 2013 is the last year for the model, and i doubt they would anyway, complains like this are pretty rare, its all in the eye of the beholder. my wife moved to the KK from MB c230 and she just loves the ride quality. so.. its all subjective
2004 UCF31. Black
2001 EM2. Inca pearl
2012 UD Limited. Royal Gray
VMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2011, 06:35 AM   #5
wheels333

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheels333 View Post
I purchased a 2011 Liberty last month and have put 1000 miles on it.

Under power there is a growl and vibration. You can feel it in the floor and even through the gas pedal. 40 mph plus

If I coast about 80% of the growl noise goes away and much of the vibration stays. The vibration does not shake you, but it is a nuisance to say the least. Makes the purchase very disappointing.

I took it to the dealer service manager who drove it and he said it was normal and called it "torque converter lockup".

I am bringing it back to the dealer to get a better resolution.

Any ideas would be apprecitated.
I spoke to the service manager and I am bringing the Liberty in for road force wheel balance. He will also perform drive shaft run-out and balance that if necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMF View Post
there are certain trade offs that im willing to deal with in terms of sacrificing luxury for offroad prowess. vibrations and ride quality are one of them.
I see these Libertys running around all over , driven by various types of drivers. Only a guess, but if 2% were using them off road I would be surprised. Off Road Capability is also marketing.

The Liberty may not be the newest technology but it was not designed and tested so that a growl and vibration would be normal as a trade off for "off-road", imo. We are not talking about a vehcicle designed and built in 1965.

My Liberty handles very well, take bumps nicely and I like it. That being said, I have one issue, this Liberty seems like it has truck snow tires on it with a tandem axle at times.

Last edited by wheels333; 05-05-2011 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: spelling
wheels333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2011, 08:15 AM   #6
sloan74
2013 JK Wrangler 

Yeah mine does not vibrate new at 2500 miles. That is not normal.

Have them fix it. It's more than likely a wheel balance/alighment or drive shaft issue, as the service manager was suggesting.

We are all under warranty until 36k miles, so your good.
sloan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2011, 02:51 PM   #7
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, vibration isn't something you have to settle with.

Our 2008 Liberty was light-years ahead in terms of smoothness compared to my xj.
srmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 09:50 AM   #8
teknight
2011 KK Liberty 

I have a 2011 Liberty and I've noticed that when I have the AC on (I live in AZ) there is a noticable vibration when idle and a vibration and growl when going at low speeds. I just figured that was normal behavior with the AC on.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.