Need Leak Detectives-pics - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Need Leak Detectives-pics

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
Tjschatt

image-798211662.jpg

image-1744424157.jpg

image-3914549796.jpg

I am having a roof leak when it rains. I inspected my sky slider and it does not seem to be the culprit. The leAk is next to the drivers side sun visor, it then seems to be running down the I side of the body on the door and running out where the wires run under the drivers side floor boards. I'm thinking a windshield leak? Or perhaps a drainage block from the roof rails?
Please let me know your opinions so I can get it fixed.

Thanks

Tom Tj
2008 kk 4x4
Sky sliders

image-3308792748.jpg

image-342715564.jpg

Tjschatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

That stinks, if you have been using your air-conditioning; check that as well. I was told at the Dealership that some Jeeps have wet floors from use of the air-conditioning as a result of poor or clogged drainage. But from what I see in the pics I think you hit the nail on the head.
Unread 09-11-2013, 10:22 PM   #3
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Do you wash your Jeep often? Next time ya wash it spray the windshield for a few minutes around the edges and see what happens.
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 06:55 AM   #4
NJEMT911
2012 KK Liberty 

I'm betting it's a clogged drain tube from the skyslider. Just use an air gun and make sure those drain tudes are clear.
NJEMT911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 07:29 AM   #5
carlosburitica
2010 KK Liberty 

doyoun have sky sliders or sunroof,?????????

un clog the drains....
that is it.
carlosburitica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #6
taylorgrandorf
2008 KK Liberty 

I had the same issue. When I bought my 2008 used, the dealer replaced the windshield because of a rock chip as part of the negotiations. About a month later, my headliner was stained in the front (I do have the sky slider by the way) They tested the entire car with a power washer to find out where the leak was. They determined that the upper edge of the new windshield wasn't sealed correctly. I'd check that first.
taylorgrandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #7
Tjschatt

Thanks for all the input, I had to sell my jeep wrangler when I met my wife and missed it ever since. This jeep was supposed to be my family version of the wrangler but it is requiring more maintinence then the TJ.

Thanks for the feedback so far
Unread 09-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #8
Slayers
2008 KK Liberty 

Go with the drian tube for the slider.

When you open the slider you should see a spot that looks like a tube running down for the water and most times you will find the outlet behind the wheels.

poor a lil bit of water into the drain hole and see if you hear or see it coming out on the ground if you don't hear or see it try blasting air down the hole and then do the water again.

If that still does not work you will have to pull up the carpet and find the hose and the plug for the drain (should be in the kick panel where the hood release is located) Pull out the plug and make sure that is not clogged up and blow more air down the tube without the plug in(make sure you have rags around you might get junk in your cab)
Slayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 12:03 PM   #9
priebe
2008 KK Liberty 

To add my two cents. I had the same issue with my sunroof (not a Sky slider). The driver’s side drain was leaking at the joint where the hard plastic drain tube (inside the A pillar) meets the drain spout on the sunroof cartridge. Between the plastic drain tube and the cartridge drain spout is a 1.5” section of rubber hose that connects the two together. This rubber hose was well attached to the plastic drain tube but did not have a secure fit on the sunroof cartridge drain spout. I ran a bit of black RTV silicone around inside the rubber hose and slipped it back onto the sunroof drain spout. I then used the low E string from a bass guitar and plunged it into the drain spout from up top with the sunroof open to clear any RTV that may have slipped into the drain system. I have not had a problem since. I can only assume the Sky slider has a similar drainage system? Hope this helps.
priebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 09:27 AM   #10
glithero

Slayers, I am having problems with my 08' leaking in the back. I haven't seen any other mentions of this yet. If you open the rear hatch and look up, there is a plastic panel that runs across the back, maybe 2-2 1/2 feet long (MAYBE). It leaks on either side of that plastic piece. Would what you mentioned above about the tube work for a solution to try? It only does it when you are driving. So when it's sitting no matter what kind of terrain, it doesn't leak till you drive. So for right now I am keeping the storage cover closed and a towel on top of it so the carpet doesn't get wet.

Any one, can you please try to help? I really can't afford to take it to the shop, that is definitely last resort for me.
glithero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #11
Tjschatt

My problem ended up being the factory seal around the windshield dry-rotted. Your issue hopefully is just the weather stripping needs to be replaced. I found my leak by pouring water and seeing where it penetrated, I suggest you do the same. Good luck, leaks really suck!

TJ
Unread 09-27-2013, 08:26 AM   #12
Slayers
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by glithero View Post
Slayers, I am having problems with my 08' leaking in the back. I haven't seen any other mentions of this yet. If you open the rear hatch and look up, there is a plastic panel that runs across the back, maybe 2-2 1/2 feet long (MAYBE). It leaks on either side of that plastic piece. Would what you mentioned above about the tube work for a solution to try? It only does it when you are driving. So when it's sitting no matter what kind of terrain, it doesn't leak till you drive. So for right now I am keeping the storage cover closed and a towel on top of it so the carpet doesn't get wet.

Any one, can you please try to help? I really can't afford to take it to the shop, that is definitely last resort for me.
Are you saying that the water is collecting at the back of the sunroof? If you can take a picture of what is getting wet I will know more about what is going on.

If you are noticing water just behind the cover you might want to check the seals on the sunroof.

They are like normal seals but will sometimes go quicker since they are dealing with the everyday elements that other seals are not dealing with.
Unread 09-30-2013, 10:43 AM   #13
glithero

Hi Slayers, luckily it's been down pouring here so I can actually get pics of the leaks. Hopefully it helps. I had a friends husband take a look, but he's not a mechanic on Jeeps. He works in the service dept for BMW's. But anyways, his thought was that it was leaking in through the slider when you drive and working it's way back. I don't know if that is right, or if it is, but I really dont' know how to fix it!
File Type: pdf IMAG0181-2.pdf (483.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: pdf IMAG0182-2.pdf (564.5 KB, 28 views)
Unread 09-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #14
glithero

Here are a couple more....
File Type: pdf IMAG0183-2.pdf (291.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: pdf IMAG0180-2.pdf (575.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: pdf IMAG0179-2.pdf (489.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: pdf IMAG0177-2.pdf (470.2 KB, 24 views)
Unread 09-30-2013, 12:13 PM   #15
Slayers
2008 KK Liberty 

There are drains front and back on the roofs you might want to check and see if the back drains are all clogged up.

The best way to do that is open the roof and place a hose into the chanel watch the water and see if its over flowing or is it draining.

Not sure about the leaking in the front and flowing back if that was the case you would see wet spots in the headliner starting in the front.

Check the drains first they are cheap to work on after that you might want to start looking at the slider.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.