my first jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > my first jeep

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDThe NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.com

Unread 12-21-2013, 10:21 PM   #1
wjkrostek
2012 KK Liberty 

my first jeep

I just bought a 2012 Liberty limited with 34000 miles and don't know anything about it. All I know is that it is 4X4 with a 6 cyl engine and auto trans with a trail rated sticker on the side. The dealer is not a good option as I have learned more for the web than I can get from them. Can we tell from the VIN any useful information? (1c4pjmck9cw143675) like what transfer case or rear ends and the like? I also needed an other key and I found blanks for sell on the web for 17 dollars and I have a key 4 digit number that was used to make the key I have. (I'm hoping but that's what I was told) Will that be of any useful information for me to get another key made? what have you all done? One last question. When she slips on the snow and ice she make a bad sound that might be normal but it's not normal to me. Please let me know thats normal with that limited slip stuff they use. Thanks

wjkrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #2
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

Welcome to the forum! Keep on reading, because there's tons of good info in here for whatever your KK needs. Lostjeeps.com is another good forum and most of us have accounts on both. Now to answer some of your questions:
You can go to the Jeep owners website and use their "contact us" link to email them a request for your build sheet using your VIN. The build sheet has all the info you want to know about your Jeep, and it usually only takes a couple of days for them to get back to you.
I don't know about the keys, but I'd be interested if you find an inexpensive solution. Mine came with only one key as well, as I got mine used at a Chevy dealership. I'd love to have a second key that works.
What you're hearing on snow and ice is the traction control, which utilizes the antilock brakes. (You do not have a limited slip differential.) You can turn it off by pressing the ESP OFF button below your heat and AC controls on your center dash. You'll get a yellow warning light on the dash when it is off. I find the traction control works pretty well, although it can be noisy at times.
Good luck!
Unread 12-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
wjkrostek
2012 KK Liberty 

Thanks for your response I found the mopar contact I think you were talking about in your response and over night I got the build out sheet you were talking about. That was fast. You would think the dealer could of done that. So the grinding slipping noise is normal??? With that type of noise it must be causing a lot of wear and tare on something. what is wearing out when I hear that noise? Is it the wheel breaks or somewhere else? sounds like its near the trany or transfer case. One thing for sure it will make my wife back off and just but it in 4 wheel with the flip of the switch.
wjkrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Welcome. I bought a 2011 this last spring. I thought something was broken also when the traction control engaged. The anti lock brakes can be noisy also. They are annoying, but helpful. Think of it as an alarm to ease off the accelerator when the tires are slipping. I don't remember which key I bought other than it's gray and can be programmed. If you have the right one you can have it cut at the hardware store to match your other keys. Then if you have both original keys you can program the new key by placing the keys in the ignition one at a time. Your owners manual with say how to program them. We are lucky we can do this for just the price of the key blank. Otherwise it would cost a fortune.
Rob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

Welcome to the Jeep world and the forums. Like everyone said, definitely do some reading. Also the grinding sound is the traction control. It uses the antilock brakes to help mitigate wheel spin and keep the Jeep in control. It's normal, so no need to worry. If you get a lot of snow or tend to spin the tires a lot, then expect to go through rear brakes more than fronts.

Assuming your KK(the code for our 08-12 generation Libertys) is stock, it will have an open diffs, and 3.73 gears. Biggest thing to know is what kind of 4x4 system it has. Either look at your build sheet(it should tell you), or look at the 4x4 switch on your center console. If the selector says "2wd, 4wd lock, and 4wd low" it's command trac. This is a true part time 4x4 system. If you have this system don't use 4wd on pavement or any dry surfaces. Only use it in snow(not that flurry that barely covers the road either lol), ice, and offroad. If it says 2wd, 4high or 4 auto(I don't remember which), and 4 low, then you have select trac. That is more like an awd system that can be used on dry pavement as it allows some slip in the driveline.
Unread 12-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
bwsooner6
Apprentice

2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmxer524
Welcome to the Jeep world and the forums. Like everyone said, definitely do some reading. Also the grinding sound is the traction control. It uses the antilock brakes to help mitigate wheel spin and keep the Jeep in control. It's normal, so no need to worry. If you get a lot of snow or tend to spin the tires a lot, then expect to go through rear brakes more than fronts. Assuming your KK(the code for our 08-12 generation Libertys) is stock, it will have an open diffs, and 3.73 gears. Biggest thing to know is what kind of 4x4 system it has. Either look at your build sheet(it should tell you), or look at the 4x4 switch on your center console. If the selector says "2wd, 4wd lock, and 4wd low" it's command trac. This is a true part time 4x4 system. If you have this system don't use 4wd on pavement or any dry surfaces. Only use it in snow(not that flurry that barely covers the road either lol), ice, and offroad. If it says 2wd, 4high or 4 auto(I don't remember which), and 4 low, then you have select trac. That is more like an awd system that can be used on dry pavement as it allows some slip in the driveline.
I did not know this and drove my vehicle for a few days to work with 4wd lock on. It was snowing but highways were hit and miss, I'm worried now I might have ruined something. My first 4 wheel drive, I guess I'm to use to awd.

"if it's on the internet, it must be true" ~ Abraham Lincoln
At The Helm Roof Rack & Front Recovery System
bwsooner6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 06:12 PM   #7
RENE65
2008 KK Liberty 

Driving on dry pavement with 4wd lock on will cause a lot of stress on the drive train , wear the tires faster and use more gas ( as if that was possible ).If the stress becomes too big,something breaks ( weakest point in the drive train ), if nothing broke ,you should be ok.Everybody forgets to shint it back to 2wd at one point but not that many breaks.
RENE65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 08:16 PM   #8
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

You feel the binding. I was shown the binding on a beater once. I was told to put the truck in reverse and 4 high with the wheel full lock. They said let off the brakes and let the truck roll itself. It did, a few inches, then came to a stop and you could just feel the binding because there wasn't enough slip in the wheels.

Honestly if nothing happened, I wouldn't worry. It's just something people need to know when they have a true part-time 4x4 that allows no slip when in 4x4 modes.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.