My 2010 KK Experienced a miracle!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > My 2010 KK Experienced a miracle!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineZone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and C

Unread 08-24-2013, 11:38 PM   #1
pauld73
2010 KK Liberty 

My 2010 KK Experienced a miracle!!

Ever since I got it back in March, 2010, my KK has gotten 15 or so mpg. I do mostly driving around town with not much highway driving. When the odometer hit around 10,000 to 11,000 miles, (I only put 3,000 miles on it per year) a few weeks ago, my mileage suddenly went up to 18 or 19 mpg. I drove the same way that I always have and there has been no change in fuel, tires, etc. I have noticed that going down a hill at 30 mph or so, it feels like the transmission is now shifting into 4th gear, when before it was always in 3rd gear. Has this happened to anyone else? I am wondering if Jeep has the computer ROM programmed so that for the first 10,000 miles the transmission stays in 3rd gear unless you exceed 40 mph (no matter what the manifold vacuum is). Now it seems I am shifting into 4th gear at <30 mph when the manifold vacuum is high like going down a hill.

Paul

pauld73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

This is normal. Most people get crappy mileage till the engine is broken in. Enjoy.
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, the trans has a computer that learns your driving habits and changes shift points and pressures. I've also read that it has a break in program for the torque converter clutch that can feel like a shudder at certain times
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
brunolambert
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drednot View Post
Yeah, the trans has a computer that learns your driving habits and changes shift points and pressures. I've also read that it has a break in program for the torque converter clutch that can feel like a shudder at certain times
How do you reset that computer? I obviously don't drive like the previous owner because I never did more that 250 miles on a tank (bone stock jeep).
brunolambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 07:16 PM   #5
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

To reset, disconnect your battery overnight. I just had some work done on my KK where the mechanic had the battery out for several hours, and the computer is currently relearning how to drive efficiently. This is a pain when the program was already optimized, but I can usually get it back to where it was after a couple of weeks. The difference for me is usually about 2 mpg.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.