MPG not nearly as good as advertised--is this normal? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > MPG not nearly as good as advertised--is this normal?

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE KitsARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits

Unread 04-19-2011, 07:30 PM   #16
allskiing

Quote:
Originally Posted by calstro View Post
I came out of 2004 Mazda6 sport wagon that was rated at 19/26 mpg and, although gas prices aren't the same as they were 7 months ago when I got my 4x4 Liberty Renegade, my fuel econ is only about 1 mpg lower in the Jeep compared to the Mazda doing the same daily (mixed) drive as before. Considering the Jeep is almost 1,000 lbs heavier that's not terrible.
Unfortunately I do a lot of driving so I've racked up over 14K miles in the 7 months that I've owned it. I track fuel economy pretty meticulously and just looked back at my log and can see about 1.5 mpg improvement between brand new and now.
I too was a bit disappointed by being able to see the improvement and compare head-to-head has taken some of the angst away. It could be worse, we could be pumping premium!
What were the miles on it when it started to improve?

allskiing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2011, 08:08 AM   #17
tracyh771

Quote:
Originally Posted by calstro View Post
I came out of 2004 Mazda6 sport wagon that was rated at 19/26 mpg and, although gas prices aren't the same as they were 7 months ago when I got my 4x4 Liberty Renegade, my fuel econ is only about 1 mpg lower in the Jeep compared to the Mazda doing the same daily (mixed) drive as before. Considering the Jeep is almost 1,000 lbs heavier that's not terrible.
Unfortunately I do a lot of driving so I've racked up over 14K miles in the 7 months that I've owned it. I track fuel economy pretty meticulously and just looked back at my log and can see about 1.5 mpg improvement between brand new and now.
I too was a bit disappointed by being able to see the improvement and compare head-to-head has taken some of the angst away. It could be worse, we could be pumping premium!

Hahaha true! If we were pumping premium I'd be putting this baby in neutral and pushing! (Sorry, I couldn't resist the urge to plug in one of those dumb smiley faces haha)
tracyh771 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #18
calstro
2010 KK Liberty 

@ allskiing - I checked my mileage log and it looks like the magic number was 10K miles just as some others have suggested.

After that point, I've gotten 17 mpg or better on 75% (9 out of 12) of my fill ups. Again, that's under the same driving conditions that yielded mostly 15.5 prior to hitting 10K miles.

@tracyh - 2 vehicles prior to the Mazda I drove a Land Rover Discovery and I shudder to think what my average fill up would have cost if I was still driving that puppy. I think I averaged 13-14 mpg with that gas hog!!
calstro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2011, 12:10 PM   #19
Liberty19
2008 KK Liberty 

my 08 is getting a little better than 21 in the highway and 16 in town so i have no complaints
Unread 04-20-2011, 01:22 PM   #20
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

When we bought our 2008 kk new, I was the first to drive it 40 miles home from the dealer.

I could see the gas gauge moving. The first couple thousand miles were horrible. It was ok at 6,000 miles when we traded it in and upgraded to a v8 wj, which gets better mpg.
srmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2011, 09:52 PM   #21
dday88
2011 KK Liberty 

I just traded my 2.4l wrangler in on a new 2011 kk and so far I have clocked 589 miles with 4 fill ups ... mileage has been terrible 15.3,14.8,13.2, and 16.4-all highway. I drive 70/30 highway (55mph 2 lane roads) /city (4 min commute to work). I have been driving it with the eco light on as often as physically possible with out causing an accident and my wife keeps calling me "granny"... at this rate I really regret giving up the wrangler which got 19 average over the year I drove it and it never got babied.

Guess I should have just bought that hemi dodge ram that I told myself not to buy because of the gas mileage ....

Last edited by dday88; 04-21-2011 at 08:28 AM..
dday88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2011, 10:14 PM   #22
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dday88 View Post
I just traded my 2.4l wrangler in on a new 2011 kk and so far I have clocked 589 miles with 4 fill ups ... mileage has been terrible 15.3,14.8,13.2, and 16.4-all highway. I drive 70/30 highway (55mph 2 lane roads) /city (4 min commute to work). I have been driving it with the economic light on as often as physically possible with out causing an accident and my wife keeps calling me "granny"... at this rate I really regret giving up the wrangler which got 19 average over the year I drove it and it never got babied.

Guess I should have just bought that hemi dodge ram that I told myself not to buy because of the gas mileage ....
It'll get better.No brand new vehicle ever get's good mpg's till about 10,000 miles.

Can't believe you all complain about mpg's,you bought the dang thing.
Unread 04-21-2011, 12:45 AM   #23
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

What's not to believe?

Dday88 passed up a bigger truck because he expected the posted mpg shown on the dealer lots.

That's not a lot to ask.

And I know, there's the "its a brick" argument, but it's stock, on small tires.
srmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2011, 08:38 AM   #24
dday88
2011 KK Liberty 

I completely agree, I have no problem with getting bad gas mileage, I have a problem when I drive as conservatively as possible but can not manage to get the "combined" MPG when I am on the highway. I know i am a fool for trusting the dealer and the EPA... but really
dday88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2011, 08:39 AM   #25
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmitchell View Post
What's not to believe?

Dday88 passed up a bigger truck because he expected the posted mpg shown on the dealer lots.

That's not a lot to ask.

And I know, there's the "its a brick" argument, but it's stock, on small tires.
Yeah it will get there but the engine needs to be broken in first which takes about 10,000 miles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.