"Mod" question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > "Mod" question

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 02-27-2014, 07:24 AM   #1
georgejeri

2009 KK Liberty 

"Mod" question

I'm thinking about adding a couple mods to our '09 Liberty. Mostly for potential re-sale value.

First is the cruise control. Not really a lot of need for it here in Alaska, except for the trips to the Kenai and out the Glenn Highway to the valley, Fairbanks, etc.

I was thinking about adding the multi function switch that was swapped out when I added the Liberty fog lights. I'll have the dealer install the CC but wonder if they'll hesitate adding the switch that's listed on Lost Jeeps. Would be nice to have the fog light switch and the auto headlights back.

Second is the production side rails to get right of the standard "eunuch" side rails.

Jeep black tube step/side rails
Jeep molded splash guards
Jeep cargo area security cover
Jeep hitch receiver and wiring
Black Taillight guards
Window vents
Bug deflector
georgejeri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2014, 02:03 PM   #2
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

If you plan to trade it in, I don't think all the mods would increase your trade in value. You might be better off selling it privately down the road though.

There is a stalk that you can get from the dealer that has fogs and auto headlights.

Do you only want the stock side rails? You'd be better off with a set of Atthehelm's side rails. They are metal and far stronger than the stock rails.
LKWJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2014, 05:03 PM   #3
georgejeri

2009 KK Liberty 

Thanks for the thoughts.

Probably not a trade in but more along the lines of a private sale. just checking the NADA Guides, the cruise control adds some value just not sure that the cost would offset the increase in value. But on a private sale it just might.

Didn't realize that the dealer would have that stalk. Haven't seen it in their accessory catalog, etc., just on Lost Jeeps.

I was thinking the production side rails. So far our Lib has been strictly a street Lib, with very low mileage.
Black Taillight guards
Window vents
Bug deflector
Unread 02-27-2014, 05:34 PM   #4
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

Check the website justforjeeps.com I've seen it for sale there
LKWJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2014, 08:05 PM   #5
DarkSport11
2011 KK Liberty 

Is this what your looking for?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171099222753...84.m1423.l2649
Unread 03-02-2014, 09:03 AM   #6
georgejeri

2009 KK Liberty 

Thanks. If the dealer has it I will probably get it from Lithia. So far I've tried to keep everything "OEM" if possible. Must be my OCD kicking in. More likely than not I'll have the dealer install it whether or not I get the cruise control as well.

One thing I did notice in the Jeep IGA catalog, there's 2 slate grey cruise controls listed. Not sure what the difference between the 2 is, except for a difference of a few bucks in the cost. If i was in better shape physically, I'd do all the installs myself, but being older with disability having the dealer do it is so much easier.

One thing that did come up during my last service appointment was there was no record of my Lifetime Power Train Warranty. So I had to dig out all my purchase paperwork and take it into Lithia so they could update their records. Probably because my GF at the the time and I bought the Lib, then we got married so her name changed and they changed the name on their records. Looks like their computer thought we were no longer the original purchasers.

So hopefully now Lifetime Power Train Warranty and lifetime oil change is straightened out. With a lot of winter warm up time I make use of the oil changes. Maybe when we finally sell our 2nd condo (originally the wife's), maybe she'll "grant" me some fun money to use on the Jeep!!!!!
Black Taillight guards
Window vents
Bug deflector
Unread 03-03-2014, 06:15 AM   #7
JoeTDI
2012 KK Liberty 

Modifications will not increase your resale value.... rolling stock is the worst investment.....

I dumped $18K worth of mods into an 2000 turbo VW ($14K under the hood alone)..... I sold it a couple years later for $6K.... fully built motor (rods, pistons, bearings, cam, lifters, ported head), built trans, big turbo, intercooler, huge fueling, and tons of other mods only got me $1K over what the private party value was actually worth....

With the couple little things you are planning on modding, you can expect around a 99% loss on your investment.... It's a well known thing in the world of modding cars that you spend the money because you want to improve the vehicle for yourself, not to up the resale value...
Unread 03-03-2014, 10:10 AM   #8
rescue575
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTDI
Modifications will not increase your resale value.... rolling stock is the worst investment.....

I dumped $18K worth of mods into an 2000 turbo VW ($14K under the hood alone)..... I sold it a couple years later for $6K.... fully built motor (rods, pistons, bearings, cam, lifters, ported head), built trans, big turbo, intercooler, huge fueling, and tons of other mods only got me $1K over what the private party value was actually worth....

With the couple little things you are planning on modding, you can expect around a 99% loss on your investment.... It's a well known thing in the world of modding cars that you spend the money because you want to improve the vehicle for yourself, not to up the resale value...
Unless its a '65 GTO or something. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Cobra 75, Firestik Door Jam Mount, HD Spring, 2Ft Firestik
Dunlop Fierce Attitude M/T
rescue575 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 04:15 PM   #9
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

Always been told that mods don't add money. Only way it'll up the money is if those mods are what the customer wants.

Say you're buying a jeep and it has 1 ton axles. If you want 1 tons sure you'll pay more for it. If you don't want 1 tons then it isn't going to add anything for you.
Unread 03-04-2014, 12:52 PM   #10
JoeTDI
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue575 View Post
Unless its a '65 GTO or something. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Well yea, a restoration project is a whole other situation...
Unread 03-04-2014, 09:15 PM   #11
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmxer524 View Post
Always been told that mods don't add money. Only way it'll up the money is if those mods are what the customer wants.

Say you're buying a jeep and it has 1 ton axles. If you want 1 tons sure you'll pay more for it. If you don't want 1 tons then it isn't going to add anything for you.
Mods actually decrease value since you never know if they were installed correctly or how the vehicle was actually used with sad mods regardless of what the seller may state.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.