Mod: 120VAC Upgrade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Mod: 120VAC Upgrade

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 12-16-2009, 08:57 AM   #1
PhotograJeep
2008 KK Liberty 

Mod: 120VAC Upgrade

Got tired of the power issue in the KK.

dual 120vac GROUNDED outlets, 400watts of raw digital inverted power. now i could run my phone charger, computer, coffee pot, popcorn maker, shop vac, air compressor, refrigerator, and small country with it.

P.S. Always trust a job that you performed while drinking a Snapple and a Java Monster.

Unread 12-16-2009, 09:36 AM   #2
Elt31987

2008 KK Liberty 

lol nice
Daystar 2" Spacer Lift With SkyJacker Hydro Shocks
JBA Gen 5.5 Upper Control Arms
Rokmen Riddler 8.25 Differential Cover
2 KC Slimlite 100 Watt Driving Lights on JK Light Bar
245/75/16 All Terrains
Mopar Front Tow Hooks
Mopar Rear Tow Hook
Mopar Skids
Elt31987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2009, 10:06 AM   #3
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Nicely done. Is that a kit - or one you made with an inverter and hunted down the plugin?

Some small countries may require 2 of those to run everything.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2009, 12:38 PM   #4
katiesdad7
2006 KJ Liberty 

I don't know about the coffee pot. Might be over 400 watts.
Unread 12-16-2009, 01:07 PM   #5
LibertyTC
2004 KJ Liberty 

I think having an inverter set up is fantastic. Unfortunately the stock battery is weak.
I would rather have more wattage in the cottage though, and would immediately ditch the stock battery for a PC-1500 Odyssey battery, or even better, a dual battery set up with 1000w+ inverter.
LibertyTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2009, 09:46 PM   #6
osufans

that's pretty sweet! good job! where'd you get the parts?
osufans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2009, 11:23 AM   #7
DaveJKJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

Photograjeep that is a really neat install.
War Veterans Jeep Group #31
Black Jeep Society #217
DaveJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2009, 07:48 AM   #8
PhotograJeep
2008 KK Liberty 

black and decker 400w inverter available at target or walmart, I think. the outlets came from the inverter unit. I just dismantled it and put it together in the console, a write up will happen...eventually. really busy these days.
Unread 01-26-2010, 06:04 PM   #9
Mr_Harry
2009 KK Liberty 

Looks good!

I may have to consider doing this
Mr_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 07:05 AM   #10
PhotograJeep
2008 KK Liberty 

Ok, so after so long sorry for no write up, but I have some good lessons learned and great info about a different direction.
I had to punt on that mod, or at least re-design it. The Black and Decker Inverter that I was using was the one with the top mounted, electronic pushbutton. It would have to be pressed EVERYTIME that power was turned on to it. I also messed up the circuit board because I was trying to make it a little more professional. My soldering go too hot for the foil.

So... I got one with a front switch on the OUTLET PLATE, that I could keep on or off at all times (I recommend off unless using it). I also cut the wires half way between the plate and the inverter, so I could simply wire-nut all the wires together and tape them.

I had a concern about the cooling, but there was a cooling duct running through the console, so I just mounted the inverter on the plastic duct and poked a hole in the duct to let a little of the Air Conditioning "leak" onto the inverter.

sorry that I didn't do a full write up, but I thought it important that you get the lessons learned. I also did another project and posted it on my blog. It was a backup battery bank and inverter. Here are the links to the posts on it. It provides more power, a system to start you Jeep up if your battery dies, and more. You can draw at least 800W from it safely with lots of reserve power.

Battery Banks are the way to go
Backup Battery Banks: The Batteries
Backup Battery Banks: The inverters
Backup Battery Banks: Wrapping it All Up

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.