Ok, so after so long sorry for no write up, but I have some good lessons learned and great info about a different direction.
I had to punt on that mod, or at least re-design it. The Black and Decker Inverter that I was using was the one with the top mounted, electronic pushbutton. It would have to be pressed EVERYTIME that power was turned on to it. I also messed up the circuit board because I was trying to make it a little more professional. My soldering go too hot for the foil.
So... I got one with a front switch on the OUTLET PLATE, that I could keep on or off at all times (I recommend off unless using it). I also cut the wires half way between the plate and the inverter, so I could simply wire-nut all the wires together and tape them.
I had a concern about the cooling, but there was a cooling duct running through the console, so I just mounted the inverter on the plastic duct and poked a hole in the duct to let a little of the Air Conditioning "leak" onto the inverter.
sorry that I didn't do a full write up, but I thought it important that you get the lessons learned. I also did another project and posted it on my blog. It was a backup battery bank and inverter. Here are the links to the posts on it. It provides more power, a system to start you Jeep up if your battery dies, and more. You can draw at least 800W from it safely with lots of reserve power.
Battery Banks are the way to go
Backup Battery Banks: The Batteries
Backup Battery Banks: The inverters
Backup Battery Banks: Wrapping it All Up