Mobil 1 0W-20 synthetic oil - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Mobil 1 0W-20 synthetic oil

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-04-2012, 12:16 AM   #1
El_Jeepie
2010 KK Liberty 

Mobil 1 0W-20 synthetic oil

Hello everyone... I'm new here..., I'm about to change my oil & wanted to know if anyone has tried the Mobil1 0W-20 synthetic oil in order to save gas ??

El_Jeepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 08:56 AM   #2
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Try it if you like, but I wouldn't. Especially in the swamp heat of south florida, the VERY last thing you want to do, is go with a thinner oil then what is recommended. In a heavy SUV with a v6, you wont see any remarkable change, if any. You're going to get 12-14 in city with an automatic Liberty. To get better, will require a smaller vehicle, or find an '05-'06 CRD Liberty.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
bagwell
2011 KK Liberty 

0W-20 is like water....stick to the 5W-20 (at least that's what my 2011 recommends).
bagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwell View Post
0W-20 is like water....stick to the 5W-20 (at least that's what my 2011 recommends).
X2 -

In addition you may void your waranty if you use a different weight oil. You could swap your vehicle for something else.

As far as mods on your own vehicle, but not certain how effective it would be vs. cost of the parts. With exception of keeping your vehicle tuned i.e. (air, oil, tire pressure, spark plugs, trans and axle fluids)

1. replacing the chip with a hypertech.
2. replacing tires with michelin fuel savers.
3. not certain about CAI or changing exhaust system.
4. possible changing axle ratio

More importantly, driving practices avoiding abdrupt acceleration and braking and using the cruise control as much as you can.
I get about 13-15 city 17-20 hwy.

Good luck
Unread 07-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #5
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
I wouldn't even use 5w-20,they only recommend it for mpg's but your engine is designed for 5w-30.
Unread 07-05-2012, 10:11 PM   #6
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
I wouldn't even use 5w-20,they only recommend it for mpg's but your engine is designed for 5w-30.
While I agree they list the 5W-20 from fuel economy standpoint and that's what the engines were spec'd with as far as factory fleet fuel economy - I don't understand why you say the OP's '11KK was designed to run 5w-30. The cap on our '11KK clearly says 5W-20.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
bagwell
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
While I agree they list the 5W-20 from fuel economy standpoint and that's what the engines were spec'd with as far as factory fleet fuel economy - I don't understand why you say the OP's '11KK was designed to run 5w-30. The cap on our '11KK clearly says 5W-20.
I think what he is saying is --- earlier model KKs used 5w-30 and they changed the oil specs to 5w-20 to eek out 1-2mpg.
Unread 07-07-2012, 06:29 PM   #8
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Quote:
I think what he is saying is --- earlier model KKs used 5w-30 and they changed the oil specs to 5w-20 to eek out 1-2mpg.
Yep nothing was done internally to the engine to need 5w-20 like Ford and honda did(redesigned the engine) to run 5w-20.It's only to help increase mpg's to meet federal standards and will decrease engine life and promote oil consumption.
Unread 07-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #9
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Yep nothing was done internally to the engine to need 5w-20 like Ford and honda did(redesigned the engine) to run 5w-20.It's only to help increase mpg's to meet federal standards and will decrease engine life and promote oil consumption.
Are you saying going with 5W-30 will extend engine life over using 20?
If this is the case then I'll switch over to 30 on the next service. I ask because the first oil change on our KK last summer was a freebie from the dealer and they put 30 in it. I knew the cap says 20 so I called them when I noticed from the service ticket after getting home. I even started a thread on it. Service tech said that's what they were prescribed to use. I thought it sounded odd and did some research and found what you mentioned about the fuel econ etc., In the end I couldn't find anything saying one was going to be better than the other.
Since then I've made sure 20 is put in. But if the 30 will be better for it in the long run I'll put it in the engine.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 07-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #10
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Are you saying going with 5W-30 will extend engine life over using 20?
If this is the case then I'll switch over to 30 on the next service. I ask because the first oil change on our KK last summer was a freebie from the dealer and they put 30 in it. I knew the cap says 20 so I called them when I noticed from the service ticket after getting home. I even started a thread on it. Service tech said that's what they were prescribed to use. I thought it sounded odd and did some research and found what you mentioned about the fuel econ etc., In the end I couldn't find anything saying one was going to be better than the other.
Since then I've made sure 20 is put in. But if the 30 will be better for it in the long run I'll put it in the engine.
It will since you will be at full operating oil pressure.Now I'm not talking about it's going to fail at 30k but in the long run instead of getting 250k out of your engine you may get 150k.
Unread 07-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #11
JeepN4KC

^^^ Right on! Good to know, thnx!

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 07-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #12
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

What about using synthetics? Will 5w30 improve engine then 5w20? Since synthetics provide better lubricaton then dino's?
Unread 07-08-2012, 07:03 PM   #13
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Depends on what you are trying to accomplish. The main bonuses with synthetic oil vs conventional based stock, synthetics are more stable, and much more consistant. They dont need lots of additives to stabilize them like conventional oil does, and thats less volatile additives to burn off in the oil and leave sludge. I run mobil1 5w30 at 5k intervals, and a wix filter. I burn nada, and leak nada.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2012, 08:25 PM   #14
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok View Post
Depends on what you are trying to accomplish. The main bonuses with synthetic oil vs conventional based stock, synthetics are more stable, and much more consistant. They dont need lots of additives to stabilize them like conventional oil does, and thats less volatile additives to burn off in the oil and leave sludge. I run mobil1 5w30 at 5k intervals, and a wix filter. I burn nada, and leak nada.
Thanks for th heads up! Was wondering if Chrysler would void my warranty if I used 5w30 vs 5w20? I had purchased an extension to my exisitng warranty for 5 years 60K. Don't want to void that.
Unread 07-09-2012, 06:49 AM   #15
bagwell
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
It will since you will be at full operating oil pressure.Now I'm not talking about it's going to fail at 30k but in the long run instead of getting 250k out of your engine you may get 150k.
careful there...you might want to add.....that is your opinion.

on the flip side ---- some tests indicate that a thinner oil (like 5w-20) is much easier/lubricates better at start-up than a heavier grade and most engine damage is done on start-up.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.