Mobil 1 0W-20 synthetic oil - JeepForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 07-04-2012, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
El_Jeepie
Registered User
2010 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: miami
Posts: 11
Mobil 1 0W-20 synthetic oil

Hello everyone... I'm new here..., I'm about to change my oil & wanted to know if anyone has tried the Mobil1 0W-20 synthetic oil in order to save gas ??

El_Jeepie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 Old 07-04-2012, 08:56 AM
streetglideok
Registered User
2005 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Castle Pines
Posts: 3,073
Try it if you like, but I wouldn't. Especially in the swamp heat of south florida, the VERY last thing you want to do, is go with a thinner oil then what is recommended. In a heavy SUV with a v6, you wont see any remarkable change, if any. You're going to get 12-14 in city with an automatic Liberty. To get better, will require a smaller vehicle, or find an '05-'06 CRD Liberty.
streetglideok is offline  
post #3 of 19 Old 07-04-2012, 11:55 AM
bagwell
Registered User
2011 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Houston :(
Posts: 238
0W-20 is like water....stick to the 5W-20 (at least that's what my 2011 recommends).
bagwell is offline  
post #4 of 19 Old 07-04-2012, 01:02 PM
Poncherello
Moderator
2010 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Paterson
Posts: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwell View Post
0W-20 is like water....stick to the 5W-20 (at least that's what my 2011 recommends).
X2 -

In addition you may void your waranty if you use a different weight oil. You could swap your vehicle for something else.

As far as mods on your own vehicle, but not certain how effective it would be vs. cost of the parts. With exception of keeping your vehicle tuned i.e. (air, oil, tire pressure, spark plugs, trans and axle fluids)

1. replacing the chip with a hypertech.
2. replacing tires with michelin fuel savers.
3. not certain about CAI or changing exhaust system.
4. possible changing axle ratio

More importantly, driving practices avoiding abdrupt acceleration and braking and using the cruise control as much as you can.
I get about 13-15 city 17-20 hwy.

Good luck

When you get knee-deep in a situation, floor it.
Poncherello is offline  
post #5 of 19 Old 07-05-2012, 08:49 AM
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 8,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwell View Post
0W-20 is like water....stick to the 5W-20 (at least that's what my 2011 recommends).
I wouldn't even use 5w-20,they only recommend it for mpg's but your engine is designed for 5w-30.

'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is offline  
post #6 of 19 Old 07-05-2012, 10:11 PM
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........
 
JeepN4KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Blue Springs
Posts: 6,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
I wouldn't even use 5w-20,they only recommend it for mpg's but your engine is designed for 5w-30.
While I agree they list the 5W-20 from fuel economy standpoint and that's what the engines were spec'd with as far as factory fleet fuel economy - I don't understand why you say the OP's '11KK was designed to run 5w-30. The cap on our '11KK clearly says 5W-20.

~Mike~

Build Thread WK
Other Build Thread XJ
September 2013/January 2015 COTM
JeepN4KC is offline  
post #7 of 19 Old 07-07-2012, 03:27 PM
bagwell
Registered User
2011 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Houston :(
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
While I agree they list the 5W-20 from fuel economy standpoint and that's what the engines were spec'd with as far as factory fleet fuel economy - I don't understand why you say the OP's '11KK was designed to run 5w-30. The cap on our '11KK clearly says 5W-20.
I think what he is saying is --- earlier model KKs used 5w-30 and they changed the oil specs to 5w-20 to eek out 1-2mpg.
bagwell is offline  
post #8 of 19 Old 07-07-2012, 06:29 PM
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 8,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
While I agree they list the 5W-20 from fuel economy standpoint and that's what the engines were spec'd with as far as factory fleet fuel economy - I don't understand why you say the OP's '11KK was designed to run 5w-30. The cap on our '11KK clearly says 5W-20.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwell View Post
I think what he is saying is --- earlier model KKs used 5w-30 and they changed the oil specs to 5w-20 to eek out 1-2mpg.
Yep nothing was done internally to the engine to need 5w-20 like Ford and honda did(redesigned the engine) to run 5w-20.It's only to help increase mpg's to meet federal standards and will decrease engine life and promote oil consumption.

'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is offline  
post #9 of 19 Old 07-07-2012, 08:27 PM
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........
 
JeepN4KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Blue Springs
Posts: 6,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Yep nothing was done internally to the engine to need 5w-20 like Ford and honda did(redesigned the engine) to run 5w-20.It's only to help increase mpg's to meet federal standards and will decrease engine life and promote oil consumption.
Are you saying going with 5W-30 will extend engine life over using 20?
If this is the case then I'll switch over to 30 on the next service. I ask because the first oil change on our KK last summer was a freebie from the dealer and they put 30 in it. I knew the cap says 20 so I called them when I noticed from the service ticket after getting home. I even started a thread on it. Service tech said that's what they were prescribed to use. I thought it sounded odd and did some research and found what you mentioned about the fuel econ etc., In the end I couldn't find anything saying one was going to be better than the other.
Since then I've made sure 20 is put in. But if the 30 will be better for it in the long run I'll put it in the engine.

~Mike~

Build Thread WK
Other Build Thread XJ
September 2013/January 2015 COTM
JeepN4KC is offline  
post #10 of 19 Old 07-07-2012, 08:33 PM
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 8,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Are you saying going with 5W-30 will extend engine life over using 20?
If this is the case then I'll switch over to 30 on the next service. I ask because the first oil change on our KK last summer was a freebie from the dealer and they put 30 in it. I knew the cap says 20 so I called them when I noticed from the service ticket after getting home. I even started a thread on it. Service tech said that's what they were prescribed to use. I thought it sounded odd and did some research and found what you mentioned about the fuel econ etc., In the end I couldn't find anything saying one was going to be better than the other.
Since then I've made sure 20 is put in. But if the 30 will be better for it in the long run I'll put it in the engine.
It will since you will be at full operating oil pressure.Now I'm not talking about it's going to fail at 30k but in the long run instead of getting 250k out of your engine you may get 150k.

'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is offline  
post #11 of 19 Old 07-07-2012, 09:40 PM
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........
 
JeepN4KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Blue Springs
Posts: 6,781
^^^ Right on! Good to know, thnx!

~Mike~

Build Thread WK
Other Build Thread XJ
September 2013/January 2015 COTM
JeepN4KC is offline  
post #12 of 19 Old 07-08-2012, 06:44 PM
Poncherello
Moderator
2010 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Paterson
Posts: 1,128
What about using synthetics? Will 5w30 improve engine then 5w20? Since synthetics provide better lubricaton then dino's?

When you get knee-deep in a situation, floor it.
Poncherello is offline  
post #13 of 19 Old 07-08-2012, 07:03 PM
streetglideok
Registered User
2005 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Castle Pines
Posts: 3,073
Depends on what you are trying to accomplish. The main bonuses with synthetic oil vs conventional based stock, synthetics are more stable, and much more consistant. They dont need lots of additives to stabilize them like conventional oil does, and thats less volatile additives to burn off in the oil and leave sludge. I run mobil1 5w30 at 5k intervals, and a wix filter. I burn nada, and leak nada.
streetglideok is offline  
post #14 of 19 Old 07-08-2012, 08:25 PM
Poncherello
Moderator
2010 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Paterson
Posts: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok View Post
Depends on what you are trying to accomplish. The main bonuses with synthetic oil vs conventional based stock, synthetics are more stable, and much more consistant. They dont need lots of additives to stabilize them like conventional oil does, and thats less volatile additives to burn off in the oil and leave sludge. I run mobil1 5w30 at 5k intervals, and a wix filter. I burn nada, and leak nada.
Thanks for th heads up! Was wondering if Chrysler would void my warranty if I used 5w30 vs 5w20? I had purchased an extension to my exisitng warranty for 5 years 60K. Don't want to void that.

When you get knee-deep in a situation, floor it.
Poncherello is offline  
post #15 of 19 Old 07-09-2012, 06:49 AM
bagwell
Registered User
2011 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Houston :(
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
It will since you will be at full operating oil pressure.Now I'm not talking about it's going to fail at 30k but in the long run instead of getting 250k out of your engine you may get 150k.
careful there...you might want to add.....that is your opinion.

on the flip side ---- some tests indicate that a thinner oil (like 5w-20) is much easier/lubricates better at start-up than a heavier grade and most engine damage is done on start-up.
bagwell is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
SEMI-Synthetic oil in the 2011 liberty? lonewolf5347 KK Liberty Forum 13 11-30-2011 12:56 PM
Synthetic oils? Anderson75 KK Liberty Forum 33 08-25-2011 01:38 PM
Question on Synthetic 5-30W and 5-20W bobbarto KK Liberty Forum 7 07-14-2010 10:37 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome