Miss,stumble,surge or whatever - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Miss,stumble,surge or whatever

New! JK/U skid plate system.We now have Uniballs!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 11-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
rvjon

Miss,stumble,surge or whatever

I bought my '11 Liberty several months ago and it came from a rental company with about 47K miles on it. Ever since I got it,it's had a funny feeling going down the road, kinda like a miss or stumble. It doesn't do it all the time and especially not when the tech from the dealer drives it. I thought it might need plugs,but not with only 50K+ miles on it. The other thing was that it might be that engine brake thingy that they say it has and it may be coming on inadvertantly. The service manager where I go said his wife had an '11 Limited which had the same problem and that the Dodge service manager here told him to buy a bottle of Techron or Seafoam and try that. She put a bottle of Techron in and the problem has gone away for now. It's been a couple of months and it's still gone.I just put it in mine today and we'll see what happens.
Hass anyone else had this happen and how did you take care of it?

rvjon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

I'd start with new plugs if they are original, you're 20,000 miles past due
Just regular copper core plugs from Champion, nothing fancy
Seafoam doesn't do anything at all really
New plugs and then take it out and flat foot it everytime you take off and blow some of the crud out of it , trust me it works or it will help
Unread 11-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #3
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
I'd start with new plugs if they are original, you're 20,000 miles past due
Just regular copper core plugs from Champion, nothing fancy
Seafoam doesn't do anything at all really
New plugs and then take it out and flat foot it everytime you take off and blow some of the crud out of it , trust me it works or it will help
x2. Mine runs way smoother ever since I took the advice of flooring it a few times a tank.
Get new plugs in there and clean the throttle body! I bet the problem will be cut in half or gone.
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2013, 05:11 AM   #4
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

47k on the original plugs?? Mine were shot at 20k. Spend the 15 bucks and change em out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
LKWJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #5
rvjon

Posted also on the thread about a couple of problems. I changed the plugs,old NGKs and from .55 inch gap to one nub in 52K miles. Put a bottle of Techron in and changed the airfilter. Ran it down the street and back last night and warmed it up this AM and went for a 20 mile r/t freeway trip and she's running great. The only stumbles were on uphill pulls and it usually downshifted right afterwards.
Took one hour for the plugs,30 minutes for the driver's side,20 minutes to go to the parts house and get the plug they shorted me and 10 minutes for the passenger side and clean-up.
Unread 10-26-2014, 03:36 PM   #6
rvjon

I know this is an old thread,but the problem is back and has been for a bit. I drove it for a bit and it slowly got back to where it was before I changed the plugs. So now is what has been done since then. Changed the plugs again at 55K and had one bad one (worn),changed the coils and wires and took care of the problem for a bit and then came back. Now the service manager has told me to add a bottle of Techron each tank and to use Chevron gas. Have added 5 bottles of Techron,at $7-8 a bottle and buying Chevron,which usually runs $10-20 cents more a gallon and nothing has changed. It doesn't seem to be a dangerous thing,but it sure is P***ing me off. His latest is that mebbee it is in the fuel induction (?) system and that they'd need it a couple of days and may or may not be covered by my service contract.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.