misfire cylinder 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > misfire cylinder 5

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 05-08-2014, 12:26 PM   #1
Shevin92

misfire cylinder 5

i have had a cylinder 5 misfire code the last 3 times my cel has come on. we have replaced all the spark plugs, swapped cylinder 5 for 3, and also changed the fuel injector on 5. Now my cel is on again and the code reader says random misfire on cyl 5.... Idles rough not all the time, but more often than not. Runs good. Have had a ton of electrical issues with this jeep in the past 2 years so not sure if that's part of it? HELP! 2008 jeep liberty.

Shevin92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 12:47 PM   #2
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

Sounds like you have done well to eliminate the plugs and fuel injectors as the culprit. If you haven't already done so, swap the ignition coil on #5 to a different cylinder and see if the misfire follows it. If so, you have a winner. If not, I think it may be time to bring it to a mechanic for a pressure test in that cylinder or an electrical diagnosis. How many miles do you have on it?
Unread 05-08-2014, 01:02 PM   #3
Shevin92

It has 53,000 on it. We did initially swap 5 for 3, and no problems coming from 3 so far. I hate to keep putting off bringing to a mechanic if it could be something serious.
Unread 09-26-2014, 02:14 PM   #4
agk2008
JK Wrangler 

did you ever figure out the problem. I have the exact same issue and we have done all the steps you have done. I just want some answers.
agk2008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2014, 03:13 PM   #5
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

If you've eliminated plugs, ignition coils, and injectors from the equation, I think the next step is to have your mechanic do a pressure test on that cylinder. If it won't hold pressure you may have a head gasket issue or something else. Sorry to suggest that, but it looks like you've taken care of the easy stuff.
Unread 09-27-2014, 09:36 AM   #6
Shevin92

Yes. It was a blown head gasket. I had to have both heads rebuilt. About $2900. Good luck!
Unread 09-28-2014, 05:45 AM   #7
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2014, 12:12 PM   #8
DarkSport11
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shevin92 View Post
Yes. It was a blown head gasket. I had to have both heads rebuilt. About $2900. Good luck!
53,000 miles and a blown head gasket, both heads needed to be re-built? That certainly sucks, sorry to hear the outcome to your problem. 2008 or not at 53,000 miles Chrysler should eat that one I don't care why they say, total BS IMO.
Unread 09-29-2014, 08:54 AM   #9
Shevin92

Oh believe me I called Chrysler! They said if I had been the 1st or 2nd owner (even though my warranty was expired), they would have been able to help me but since I'm the third owner they don't know how the jeep was maintained prior to me blah blah blah......... I was pissed. It's funny that my local jeep dealer is actually the ones who told me to call and complain to Chrysler. Every complaint helps make a claim for a recall. I hope more people call them and log their complaints!!

My brother is a mechanic (in fact his machine shop did my heads) and he says they see so may issues on this engine (3.7l) that they are surprised there has not been a recall yet. I guess it happens all the time.
Unread 09-29-2014, 07:17 PM   #10
Dave_B
2008 KK Liberty 

You sure don't see a lot of engine failures on this forum. The 3.7 has been around a long time. Sounds like your truck may have been abused by a previous owner.
Dave
Dave_B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.