Mechanic changed oil interval. How can I change it back? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Mechanic changed oil interval. How can I change it back?

Jeep Liberty Window RegulatorJeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 08-07-2011, 11:10 AM   #1
woahup

Mechanic changed oil interval. How can I change it back?

Hello,

I've had my '08 Liberty for about 3 years now, and my oil light has always come on at about 5500 miles. Recently I took it to a different mechanic and now the light has come on after 2500. Is there a way for me to change the interval back to its original setting, or do I have to take it back there and ask them to change it?

I already know how to turn of the "oil change needed" light, but if anyone knows how to change the interval at which it comes on, I would appreciate it.

I know some people say it comes on based on the way you drive, but I'm not driving any different, and I'd rather not throw away money.

woahup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 12:43 PM   #2
WA_KK
2008 KK Liberty 

I believe it says in the owners manual that it isn't based on mileage but the way you drive and performance. Is it possible that the new mechanic used a cheaper oil than you had before?

Sent from my HTC EVO using JeepForum
WA_KK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Yeah can't change it,it comes on based on how you drive.
Unread 08-08-2011, 11:41 PM   #4
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Not to go off on a tangent, but has anyone ever used Amsoil synthetic in their Jeep?
Poncherello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 12:46 AM   #5
WA_KK
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncherello
Not to go off on a tangent, but has anyone ever used Amsoil synthetic in their Jeep?
I use it in mine. No problems so far, just put it in a few weeks ago when I bought the jeep. Used it in my dodge before the jeep and I noticed improvements in how the engine idled and how quickly it warmed up

WA_KK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 12:14 PM   #6
woahup

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Yeah can't change it,it comes on based on how you drive.
But I haven't changed my driving habits at all, that's my point. I've 64k miles on the car, and the oil change indicator has gone off at 5500 miles like clockwork since I bought the car, I find it hard to believe that all of the sudden I've made some huge difference in the operation of my Jeep, that is cutting the time in half between oil changes.
woahup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 01:10 AM   #7
marlon_jbt
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by woahup View Post
But I haven't changed my driving habits at all, that's my point. I've 64k miles on the car, and the oil change indicator has gone off at 5500 miles like clockwork since I bought the car, I find it hard to believe that all of the sudden I've made some huge difference in the operation of my Jeep, that is cutting the time in half between oil changes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WA_KK View Post
Is it possible that the new mechanic used a cheaper oil than you had before?

I say go back to your old mechanic and see if that brings it back to normal.
Unread 08-11-2011, 05:35 AM   #8
VMF
2008 KK Liberty 

light has nothing to do with the oil used and the interval cannot be changed. there are no oil quality sensors in the liberty. it is solely based on the driving patterns.
2004 UCF31. Black
2001 EM2. Inca pearl
2012 UD Limited. Royal Gray
VMF is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.