M13 battery drain - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 06-04-2017, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Sagerist

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
M13 battery drain

So I discovered yesterday that I have something draining the battery when it's off. Luckily, one of the guys on the FD happened to be at the grocery store when the ignition just clicked and he was able to jump me. Got home and did some reading and found something on Lost about a similar issue and dealing with the m13 fuse and the dampener. So I got a multimeter and a battery checker to rule out a dead battery. Battery tested fine so I got the multi meter in there and waited for the computer to go sleep. Once it finally went to sleep I was still reading 100-200 milliamps. So I started pulling relays one.by one. No change. Not looking forward to pulling each fuse one by one, I remembered the post on lost about the m13 fuse. Pulled that and whamo, triple 0's (had to read in 10amp setting so I wouldn't a) blow the fuse in the meter and b)reset the computer and wait for it to freaking cycle and go to sleep again.

So after all of that back story, his issue was with the controls that switch where the air flows from. Anyone else have any issues elsewhere or know of anything that I should rule out before I go rambo on the dampener?

Colorado Jeep Club Member #286
89 YJ 2.5L
OME 36R's, Bilstein 5100's, Bserk 5/8" shackles, 33x10.5 BFG's on 15x8

09 KK Sport 4X4
235/75/16 GY Slnt Armor
CB 2' Firestik
Fire/EMS Radio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-08-2017, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Sagerist

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Alright, crickets! Awesome! Haha.

Unplugging and plugging back in the damper and motor did nothing, not that it wasn't the issue, but still losing power. Bought my own multi meter so I could use it whenever I needed it and not be tied up to borrowing someone else's so i take as much time as I need. Although with the wrangler now down with a smoked starter, I need to get one the keeps up and running pronto!

Here's my new theory. My rear windshield wiper has always been a PITA. Every time i use it, it will never cycle properly, doing like 20 additional wipes after shutting down. And when it does this, it returned to its seated position and then wipes so it keeps banging while doing the 20 extra wipes. We've been going to Moab a lot lately and I have been trying to keep her clean when we get back, so I've obviously been washing her, and we all know that seal in the rear is crap. So I am thinking water got back there and might be causing a short. So I'm going to start there and pull the plug to the motor and see if I can get the amps to drop from the 100-200milliamps I am seeing while the computer is sleeping, to back down to the less than 100 milliamps I saw when I pulled m13.

89 YJ 2.5L

09 KK Sport 4X4
235/75/16 GY Slnt Armor
CB 2' Firestik
Fire/EMS Radio
post #3 of 8 Old 06-08-2017, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Sagerist

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
So starter ripped my things out. Pulled out the center console, unplugged the air control motor and dampener, unplugged everything in the rear hatch. Nothing. Still drawing between 150-200 milliamps. It is fluctuating between that range, so not sure what the could mean. Wish I knew what other components I could pull. Super frustrating!!

89 YJ 2.5L

09 KK Sport 4X4
235/75/16 GY Slnt Armor
CB 2' Firestik
Fire/EMS Radio

post #4 of 8 Old 06-09-2017, 09:58 AM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry it took me a while to get back to you. Try disconnecting the radio.

Fault codes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mean Max pics of everything:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

How to use Google to search the forum:

No Start:
post #5 of 8 Old 06-09-2017, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Sagerist

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
No worries! I did that as well as all of the ac controls. No change to amp draw. I saw that there is a whole bunch of issues with the TIPM and a) leaving the battery disconnected or b) holding the positive and negative battery cables together will reset a stuck computer. Gonna move forward with that, otherwise imma try and find what other components are on that switch, or worse case scenario have to replace the TIPM.

89 YJ 2.5L

09 KK Sport 4X4
235/75/16 GY Slnt Armor
CB 2' Firestik
Fire/EMS Radio
post #6 of 8 Old 06-09-2017, 03:46 PM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagerist View Post
No worries! I did that as well as all of the ac controls. No change to amp draw. I saw that there is a whole bunch of issues with the TIPM and a) leaving the battery disconnected or b) holding the positive and negative battery cables together will reset a stuck computer. Gonna move forward with that, otherwise imma try and find what other components are on that switch, or worse case scenario have to replace the TIPM.
Ok. I need to look at the schmatic. Holding cables together doesnt do anything more then just disconnecting the negative and letting it sit.

I will follow up if you can't find anything and post back.

Fault codes:

No Start:
post #7 of 8 Old 06-09-2017, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Sagerist

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Gotcha. And thanks! I haven't had any luck finding any schematics so that's been the biggest hurdle. If I knew what was on the circuit I would of pulled it already. Oh well. Thanks for the help and I will keep playing on my end.

89 YJ 2.5L

09 KK Sport 4X4
235/75/16 GY Slnt Armor
CB 2' Firestik
Fire/EMS Radio
post #8 of 8 Old 06-10-2017, 05:17 AM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagerist View Post
Gotcha. And thanks! I haven't had any luck finding any schematics so that's been the biggest hurdle. If I knew what was on the circuit I would of pulled it already. Oh well. Thanks for the help and I will keep playing on my end.
I'll see what I can find.

Fault codes:

No Start:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.