LT245/75R/16 BFG A/T Tires installed on stock '08 Liberty - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > LT245/75R/16 BFG A/T Tires installed on stock '08 Liberty

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Reply
Unread 01-24-2012, 04:40 PM   #1
JSAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern Canada, ON/AB
Posts: 73
LT245/75R/16 BFG A/T Tires installed on stock '08 Liberty

Hey guys,

I wanted to make a thread about installing bigger tires on a Liberty without doing any lifts. This question comes up a lot, so I figured I'd make a thread about it, with lots of pictures.

Since installing these tires I have driven almost 10,000Km. There has been no rubbing anywhere. I did not have to pound the pinch weld. Any size larger than 245/75r/16 will require a lift.

Also posted the same thing on Lost forums

Feel free to ask any questions.








Nice Tread


No Rubbing


No Rubbing


Rear








JSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
NedBraden55
Registered User
2011 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: charlestown, new york
Posts: 19
Cool. Went with 255 / 70 / 16s on wifes 2011 Renegade.
NedBraden55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 09:12 PM   #3
cda7333
Registered User
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Portsmouth, Ohio
Posts: 31
How bad did either size throw off ur speedometer? Has the bigger size messed with your ESC any? Thanks
cda7333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 09:26 PM   #4
JSAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern Canada, ON/AB
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by cda7333 View Post
How bad did either size throw off ur speedometer? Has the bigger size messed with your ESC any? Thanks
I used a gps to determine the speedo difference. My speedo was bang on with my gps on stock tires. Both showed me traveling @ 100km/h.

But with these tires Jeep speedo is off by 4-5%.

I was traveling 100km/h according to Jeep's speedo, but gps was showing 104-105km/h.

I called dealership and they can fix this by changing the tire revolutions in the ecm, they charge half hour labor. They can only do this if the tire difference isn't very big, if the tires are even bigger then the reprogramming wont work.

I didn't bother with it, 4-5% isn't much.

And no affect on esc.
JSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
cda7333
Registered User
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Portsmouth, Ohio
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSAN View Post
I used a gps to determine the speedo difference. My speedo was bang on with my gps on stock tires. Both showed me traveling @ 100km/h.

But with these tires Jeep speedo is off by 4-5%.

I was traveling 100km/h according to Jeep's speedo, but gps was showing 104-105km/h.

I called dealership and they can fix this by changing the tire revolutions in the ecm, they charge half hour labor. They can only do this if the tire difference isn't very big, if the tires are even bigger then the reprogramming wont work.

I didn't bother with it, 4-5% isn't much.

And no affect on esc.


Good deal. Thats not bad at all on the speedo and great that it didn't screw with the traction stuff. Was kinda worried about that one. Thanks again. Oh and by the way the new treads look awesome on the libby!
cda7333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 10:07 PM   #6
NedBraden55
Registered User
2011 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: charlestown, new york
Posts: 19
No problems with ours either. Speedo is 2 mph at 70 mph. No big deal.
NedBraden55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 10:21 PM   #7
cda7333
Registered User
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Portsmouth, Ohio
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by NedBraden55 View Post
No problems with ours either. Speedo is 2 mph at 70 mph. No big deal.
Cool. Yeah thats nothing to worry about. Thanks for the info. Definately going up a size or two when its time then.
cda7333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 11:45 PM   #8
Poncherello
Moderator
2010 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Paterson, New Jersey
Posts: 974
Very cool. A 255/70/r16 would be wider and shorter in diameter right? You think wider would be better for driving over sand?
Poncherello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2012, 12:04 AM   #9
JSAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern Canada, ON/AB
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncherello View Post
Very cool. A 255/70/r16 would be wider and shorter in diameter right? You think wider would be better for driving over sand?
255/70r/16 is ~5mm shorter than 245/75r/16 but 10mm wider. Difference of 9 Revolutions per mile.

Yes wider tire is better for driving over sand. More contact is better.
JSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2012, 12:09 AM   #10
Poncherello
Moderator
2010 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Paterson, New Jersey
Posts: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSAN View Post
255/70r/16 is ~5mm shorter than 245/75r/16 but 10mm wider. Difference of 9 Revolutions per mile.

Yes wider tire is better for driving over sand. More contact is better.
Thanks, now I know my next tire size, just need to pick a tire out. I know one tire it won't be the Good Year Wrangler SRAs lol
Poncherello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2012, 10:14 PM   #11
bagwell
Registered User
2011 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Houston :(, TX :(
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSAN View Post
255/70r/16 is ~5mm shorter than 245/75r/16 but 10mm wider. Difference of 9 Revolutions per mile.
will 255/70/16 even fit (width wise)?

its 1/2" wider than 245/75/16
bagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 03:54 AM   #12
smigelskijk
Registered User
2009 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwell View Post
will 255/70/16 even fit (width wise)?

its 1/2" wider than 245/75/16
Yep they will fit that's what I'm running right now.
smigelskijk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 09:35 AM   #13
bagwell
Registered User
2011 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Houston :(, TX :(
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by smigelskijk View Post
Yep they will fit that's what I'm running right now.

you have pics to show how wide they are?
bagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 04:12 PM   #14
smigelskijk
Registered User
2009 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 48
Here you go
020412072711.jpg   020412072748-1.jpg   020412072659.jpg   031412192017.jpg   021612135621.jpg  

021612135558.jpg  
smigelskijk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 04:34 PM   #15
bagwell
Registered User
2011 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Houston :(, TX :(
Posts: 238
looks great, thanks.
bagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.