Low speed "thunk"? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Low speed "thunk"?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 12-05-2012, 07:08 AM   #1
Wearyman
2008 KK Liberty 

Low speed "thunk"?

Hey all,

I've had this minor issue with my KK ever since I bought it. It only happens in a very specific situation, and otherwise doesn't bother me, so I've never had it addressed.

When I am leaving home in the morning, after I pull out of my drive and accelerate towards the end of my block, I notice that the car seems to "thunk" as I reach the end of the street. It seems to be coming from the transmission, and it causes the whole car to lurch slightly.

It only happens after first starting the car for the day, and ONLY if the RPMs reach about 2000 just before I let off the gas to stop at the stop sign. It seems like the car is wanting to shift to second gear, but it's not quite getting up to the speed it really wants to smoothly make the shift, and so the torque converter is causing the gear to drop in rather hard.

I should note that if I go just a tiny bit more gently on the gas and keep the RPMs down around 1500, it doesn't happen. The KK never leaves first gear and then I make my stop. I haven't been able to get it to happen at any other time once the KK is warmed up, and otherwise I have no issues whatsoever with the engine or transmission after almost 60K miles on the KK.

This is a 2008 KK, and it has ALWAYS done this. I had just assumed it was my own crappy driving style causing it, but then I read that it MIGHT be a TSB. However, I couldn't find any TSB that seems to fit this issue.

Has anyone else heard of or seen this issue before, or is it just the confluence of my driving style and the length of my street?

Wearyman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2012, 07:34 AM   #2
rescue575
2011 KK Liberty 

I have noticed this same thunk, though I really have t pin pointed when it actually happens. I have noticed that it is always during a low speed as you described.

Unfort I am not sure of any TSB on it.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Cobra 75, Firestik Door Jam Mount, HD Spring, 2Ft Firestik
Dunlop Fierce Attitude M/T
rescue575 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2012, 02:45 PM   #3
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

I maybe totally off here, but it sounds like you are right at a shift point on a cold transmission so the thunk does not sound like a defect. Keep in mind that with only 4 speeds to the transmission, the shifts are not near as smooth as say a newer design 5 or 6 speed automatic. Personally part of the reason I purchased the Liberty was for its old school 4 speed automatic. Shifting may be harsh, MPG may suffer, RPMs may find themself running higher before the shift point, but with only 4 speeds it almost never has a difficult time finding the grear it needs to be in.
Unread 12-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #4
jsburton84
2008 KK Liberty 

The same thing happens to mine after a cold start.
Unread 12-06-2012, 12:56 AM   #5
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Mine has a similar cold driveaway quirk that only manifests itself on the odd short drive down my street, too.

I have the exact same opinion that jonrjen has.

Don't worry about it.
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2012, 06:38 AM   #6
Wearyman
2008 KK Liberty 

Wow. Ok, I guess I'm not alone then. Thanks for that guys. I wasn't terribly concerned, but knowing that it's basically just the KK and its working "as designed" puts my mind at ease.

Honestly, I haven't had it happen lately since I've trained myself to go a bit easier on the pedal in the mornings when I first start up. Nevertheless, its nice to know I don't have to worry about it.

Thanks!
Wearyman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2012, 07:18 AM   #7
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

There ya go, sometime the CPU turns out not to be the smartest computer in the vehicle.....At times it is only a matter of the need to reprogram the drivers habits. The human brain is an amazing computer in and of itself.
Unread 02-18-2013, 03:22 PM   #8
patrickkel1
2008 KK Liberty 

I had the same problem with my 2008 Liberty with 50K miles. It got worse, eventually sounded like someone whacking the driveshaft with a sledge hammer. The whole vehicle would shake, and it worried me. The dealer re-flashed the shift-points in the memory of the computer, and the problem is reduced about 95%. I have adjusted my driving habits slightly to compensate for the remaining 5%. I do such a varied mix of driving that I wonder if the computer is perpetually confused when it is trying to adapt the shift points to my driving.
Patrick
patrickkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.