low power when cold - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > low power when cold

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-12-2010, 08:56 AM   #1
Maxr
2010 KK Liberty 

low power when cold

Hi I have an 2010 limited liberty. It has 5000-km on it . One thing I have noticed since new is that when cold the engine races and seem as if the vacuum is missing causing low power or the transmission is not transferring the engine power to the wheels causing the engine to race. It is fine once the engine warms up . Just wondering if this is normal for this engine transmission combo... Thanks Max

Maxr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
gb0413

i honestly have no idea...i also have a 2010 kk and the only reason i'm responding to this is because you mentioned something about the vacuum. I actually had my service engine light pop on yesterday morning and ended up taking it in to the dealer. They called me back about 2 hours later and let me know that when my jeep was being built in the factory, apparently the vacuum wasn't connected properly, so they fixed that little problem and i was good to go. Maybe you are having the same issue.
gb0413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 11:20 PM   #3
Maxr
2010 KK Liberty 

I am starting to think that the problem is not the transmission but the fan clutch. If the jeep sit for a few days the fan stays fully engaged and makes lots of noise and robs power .

Has anyoneelse had a problem with this and can you adjust the fan clutch.
Unread 07-13-2010, 02:23 AM   #4
LibertyHopeful
2008 KK Liberty 

Pretty sure what you're talking about is normal. This only lasts for the first 60 seconds or so after you start the engine up, right? Often, after pulling out of my driveway, the fan revs HIGH at low revs, like it's in a low gear. After driving for half a mile or so, the high rev fan stops and it's normal driving. I know this happens on many other cars and I've always wondered what the story with it is. Is it some mechanism designed to prevent over-reving on a cold engine?

Why does the engine fan rev really high when starting cold on some engines? Doesn't do it with BMWs, but does on Jeep, Toyota, and I think Mercedes if I remember right.
Pirelli Scorpion ATR 235/65R17 WeatherTech Floor Liners Mopar Cargo Tray
LibertyHopeful is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 06:54 AM   #5
VMF
2008 KK Liberty 

i havent noticed any abnormal clutch engagement on my KK during the startup. KK engine is surprisingly quick to warm up. i know my old lexus v8 used to engage the clutch right after the startup and it made a lot of noise for few secs after the start, KK does not have this fan problem and neither do i notice any power loss right after startup but i also dont gun it while its cold as well
VMF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 07:48 AM   #6
Maxr
2010 KK Liberty 

The problem I am having is that if I don't drive the jeep for a couple of days the fan stays on for most of the day. Next time I will take it in and see if they can change it rather than saying it's a characteristic of a jeep,
Unread 07-13-2010, 07:56 AM   #7
VMF
2008 KK Liberty 

yeah fan being on is def a problem, even when it was over 100 degrees F here my fan was rarely kicking in at full speed(only in standing traffic on a smoldering highway payment and with AC on)
Unread 07-13-2010, 12:37 PM   #8
LibertyHopeful
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxr View Post
The problem I am having is that if I don't drive the jeep for a couple of days the fan stays on for most of the day. Next time I will take it in and see if they can change it rather than saying it's a characteristic of a jeep,
Yeah, if it stays on for more than 2 minutes after start-up, it's a problem.
Pirelli Scorpion ATR 235/65R17 WeatherTech Floor Liners Mopar Cargo Tray
LibertyHopeful is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2011, 06:39 PM   #9
SuperRliBerty
2008 KK Liberty 

The radiator fan is electrical, It is not driven by the engine. It is controlled by a relay (lo speed, high speed). The coolant temp sensor send a "signal" ( low voltage) to the ECU, the ecu has a programmed temp "chart" that at a certain temp (220 degrees) turn the fan on HI.

I installed a 12 inch fan that I can manually control. It also help keep the condensor cool.
10271048a.jpg   10271048.jpg   10271041.jpg  
Resonator removed (sounds like a V8 on start up)
SuperRliBerty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2011, 07:27 PM   #10
allskiing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRliBerty View Post
The radiator fan is electrical, It is not driven by the engine. It is controlled by a relay (lo speed, high speed). The coolant temp sensor send a "signal" ( low voltage) to the ECU, the ecu has a programmed temp "chart" that at a certain temp (220 degrees) turn the fan on HI.

I installed a 12 inch fan that I can manually control. It also help keep the condensor cool.
Nice job!
allskiing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2011, 05:52 PM   #11
SuperRliBerty
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by allskiing View Post
Nice job!
Cooling is apex in any internal combustion engine.

After I installed the fan, I removed the thermostat. Now the water temp needle never passed the middle mark.
Unread 02-24-2011, 07:07 PM   #12
alex725
2009 XK Commander 

I think I noticed the same thing with mine. One day here it was 70 degrees and the Jeep drove great, reminded me of why I bought it, but 2 days later there was snow on the ground and it drove like a completely different truck. The engine seems as if there is something holding it back when its cold right? Then after you drive for it while and it gets nice and warm it has more pep?
alex725 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2011, 08:15 PM   #13
VMF
2008 KK Liberty 

radiator fan on the inside of the hood compartment is indeed a thermal clutch fan, if you look closely it is driven by the aux belt.
it is actually not good for offroad cars since when you traverse bodies of water fan hitting the water= broken fan. old wranglers have the same thermal clutch fans and ppl remove them and put electrical ones on so they can manually engage and disengage it to prevent the damage during water crossing. JKs already have electric fans
2004 UCF31. Black
2001 EM2. Inca pearl
2012 UD Limited. Royal Gray
Unread 02-27-2011, 09:26 PM   #14
SuperRliBerty
2008 KK Liberty 

VMF, This is a pic of the KK liberty radiator fan. It is not driven by an accessory belt, engine crankshaft or clutch. see the wire coming out of the fan motor, they go to the relay K11 (yellow arrow) power is provided by J19 60 amp fuse. (orange arrow.)

The fan does not rob power during start up.
02272321.jpg   02272322.jpg   02272302.jpg  
Unread 02-28-2011, 05:23 AM   #15
VMF
2008 KK Liberty 

is that of your car? did you modify it?
because stock liberties do have it. mine has it.
here are part numbers for the clutch and fan: 52079718AD 55116884AA
you can see them the parts catalog
2004 UCF31. Black
2001 EM2. Inca pearl
2012 UD Limited. Royal Gray

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.