Lots of noise when coasting and braking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Lots of noise when coasting and braking

Tactical Recovery Equipment Soft Shackles!!!50% Off Sale at KrawlOff-Road.com50" LED CREE Light Bar Pair With Wiring Kit

Unread 03-11-2015, 08:30 PM   #1
Grsz11

Lots of noise when coasting and braking

I am getting a lot of clanking when coasting and braking at least at low speeds. (Can't tell at high speeds over road noise). I also have a decent amount of slack in the driveshaft when stepping on the gas, though I know some is normal. Any thoughts?

Grsz11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2015, 09:03 PM   #2
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

Check the end of the front driveshaft where it connects to the transfer case. The rubber boot has most likely broken, shot out all the grease, and grit from the road has probably damaged the CV joint. People have described this as a rattling chains or dragging chains sound. The CV end can be ordered and replaced for about $45 from www.driveshaftparts.com.

I am assuming the noise is not coming from your brakes, but from under the Jeep, right?
Unread 03-12-2015, 05:57 PM   #3
Grsz11

So I got a wash and now no noise. Problem solved or not?
Unread 03-12-2015, 10:29 PM   #4
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Problem solved if ice and snow in the wheels/brakes was the original issue.
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2015, 04:36 PM   #5
Grsz11

Does someone have a pic of a healthy undercarriage and rear driveshaft? With labels would be great. Trying to narrow this down but I'm not quite the adequate size to crawl under with no jack.
Unread 03-25-2015, 07:04 PM   #6
Grsz11

So its coming from the rear driverside wheel. Now in addition to what's kinda like a wobble is a squeak like a spring mattress. Still only when coasting and slowing at low speeds. Whatever it is, it sounds expensive.
Unread 03-25-2015, 07:10 PM   #7
yzf125
2012 KK Liberty 

Sounds like a rear universal joint on the drive shaft to me.
yzf125 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2015, 07:46 PM   #8
Grsz11

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzf125 View Post
Sounds like a rear universal joint on the drive shaft to me.
What is involved with replacing? I don't have the space or equipment, so what can I expect to be charged? What should I look for if I stick my head down there?
Unread 03-26-2015, 05:46 AM   #9
yzf125
2012 KK Liberty 

I would suggest that you take it to a garage and they can easily check it out for you, Its not a costly repair at all if it needs it and very easy to do but best way to test if its bad is on a lift. Just Looking at it wont tell you if its bad you have to manually inspect it.
yzf125 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2015, 07:39 PM   #10
Grsz11

Dropped at the dealer to have looked at. I really hate to leave it there if I'm not because they'll tell me it needs a new flux capacitor but it has turned to a pretty violent vibration now. FML. If it is a bad joint does anything have to be replaced at the same time? Any ballpark?
Unread Yesterday, 04:00 PM   #11
Grsz11

Dealer says front driveshaft needs replaced, fortunately my extended service contract that I have never used and expires in three months will actually pay up so I just owe a $100 deductible. I asked about the wheel because there was definitely something going on there and they say they did something when they rotated the tires a few weeks back that they'll fix. They weren't going to say anything if I hadn't asked. But that got me wondering if there is really anything wrong with the driveshaft in the first place or could the noises have been coming from both places? I'm certainly pessimistic when it comes to the dealer.
Unread Yesterday, 04:56 PM   #12
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfhoward View Post
Check the end of the front driveshaft where it connects to the transfer case. The rubber boot has most likely broken, shot out all the grease, and grit from the road has probably damaged the CV joint. People have described this as a rattling chains or dragging chains sound. The CV end can be ordered and replaced for about $45 from www.driveshaftparts.com.

I am assuming the noise is not coming from your brakes, but from under the Jeep, right?
If it's the driveshaft then it is most likely this ^^^^^^
You can check that for yourself by crawling under and inspecting the boot on the transfer case side. And if it is, then you don't need a whole new driveshaft, just the CV joint at the TC side.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.