Loose oil filter??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Loose oil filter???

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGIntroducing the Quart Crate...

Unread 12-05-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
barryfishing

Loose oil filter???

I keep getting oil leaks, 2010 jeep liberty, from the oil filter area. It is not from the pressure sender above. I been there 5 times in 2 months with oil leak complaints and each time I am told the oil filter is loose. They tighten it yet after a week or so it becomes loose to start leaking onto the floor. I even seen them tighten it and yet it becomes loose. What could be the reason as they look as it as a mystery also.

barryfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
AtTheHelm

Who's changing your oil? Is that person lubricating the oil filter's gasket upon install?
AtTheHelm is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

I don't know what it is about the Liberty and the oil filter, but I have had to go back two times to two different dealerships to have the filter tightened. From what I understand it is in a real _itch of a location and if you have the skid plate pkg it is even worse to get at.

Good Luck
Unread 12-05-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
AtTheHelm

Yeah it looks like a bear clawed your arm after changimg them.
AtTheHelm is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
RENE65
2008 KK Liberty 

Bought mine used 21 mts ago and I had a leak at the filter and had to tighten it 3 times.Had the oil and filter changed 3 times since and the problem does not seem to recur. Oil changes always done at dealership with regular 5-20w oil.
RENE65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2014, 06:17 PM   #6
woppenhe

Yup, had the loose oil filter issue. Dealer changed and it was leaking less than 1500 miles later. They said it was loose and the gasket had a crease in it. Whatever, it leaked overnight when the engine was not running, a drop or two every few minutes. Had a puddle of oil the next morning. They made no charge for the filter or oil, but the color of the filter went from orange to green.
woppenhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2014, 07:29 PM   #7
Dave_B
2008 KK Liberty 

I think mine starts leaking about every 3000-3500 miles. Figure it is time to change oil. I don't like the Chrysler oil filters, but you can't beat the 4 oil changes for $65 at the dealer.

Dave

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.