JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   KK Liberty Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/)
-   -   Looking to take the plunge! (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/looking-take-plunge-1503967/)

FirstInHell 04-04-2013 09:35 AM

Looking to take the plunge!

I had been interested in getting a Jeep Liberty for some time. I always liked the look of the car and how it retained a lot of the classic Jeep styling. I held off on purchasing one because of the impending redesign which became the new Cherokee. I don't like anything about the new Cherokee so I decided to see what lease options were still available for 2012 Libertys. I found that you can get these at pretty bargain basement prices (Jet Edition). However every review I read completely trashes the car saying it is an aging platform not worth the money.

Is it a bad move going with this Jeep? I plan to test drive, but is it as horrible to drive as reviewers say? This will be my first SUV due to needing some extra room for the baby's stuff. How is the room in the rear seats for a car seat? I also have a 1 hour work commute in the Northeast and it will be nice to have something that can handle the rough winters. I really want to get a Jeep and I don't see any other option from them other the Grand Cherokee which is a bit too big and expensive for me.

Is anyone familiar with what kind of lease deal I can get for a Jet edition that it sitting on the lot? The sicker on the car says 33K.

griffdiz 04-04-2013 10:08 AM

I don't like leasing, I think it's a waste of money, but I definitely love the Liberty. I traded in my 08 for a 12 because this will be my last chance to own this car. I plan to drive mine until it dies! I think the backseats are very roomy. I tried out a Patriot before I found my 2012 and the first thing I thought was how small the backseat and cargo area was compared to my Liberty. If you are leasing this probably won't matter, but keep in mind values dropped a lot since they stopped making the Liberty.

I also want to add that the professional reviews of this car might be bad, but across the board I mostly see good reviews from people who actually own it.

JeepCares 04-04-2013 11:02 AM

FirstInHell-

I guess it really depends on what you are looking for and how long you intend to keep it. Test drive it. Decide for yourself.

Shop around - I'm not sure how Libertys are left. They also actually sell for different prices in different parts of the country. You could also shop for a lease rate.

eoerikson3 04-04-2013 11:25 AM

I love my Liberty. Ignore the reviewers. Drive it. It feels like a truck. It's tough like one, too. The reviewers know cars but don't know squat about Jeeps. The Liberty is a very capable vehicle and offers a fair amount of cargo space and creature comforts. The Liberty will grow with your family's needs. The classic Jeep styling is appealing.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

XtrailratedJ 04-04-2013 11:33 AM

Test drive the Liberty side by side with the new Honda Pilot, then make a decision.

Gageraid 04-04-2013 11:42 AM

I love my Liberty (Sport). Definitely way more comfortable than I thought it would be. Many compliments from friends and family have made me feel good about my decision.

Not sure I would recommend the Jet edition. Some members have mentioned that the big rims combined with the small sidewall provides a rough ride.

Plenty of space in the rear, the back seat can be folded down very easily, and the passenger side seat fold down, too.

Also try to find one with fog lights. Let us know how everything goes.

Bmxer524 04-04-2013 12:02 PM

The car reviews are biased. They compare the Liberty to compact suvs with fwd. The Liberty is built like a truck(aside from having a unibody, still 1 of the strongest unibodies on the market though). It rides like one and gets the gas mileage of one. Literally 1/2 ton pickups with v8s get the same mileage, if not better than the KK. With the Liberty you get a real SUV that is capable, has a true part time 4x4(meaning rwd until you put it in 4high or 4low).

I daily drive mine and each day I commute 70 miles round trip, and I end up burning a little less than 1/4 tank. The mileage is bad, and though powerful, it isn't the fastest thing out there, but you don't buy Jeeps for speed and gas mileage. The 3.7L v6 with the 4 speed auto is a proven drivetrain, it has been known to reach 200K+ miles.

I say test drive it to make sure it's what you want. And if the mileage isn't too bad for you shop around until you find most if not all the options you want/can afford. If it's something small like the Jet having big rims, just remember you can always get new tires and rims.

FirstInHell 04-04-2013 12:53 PM

Thanks for the replies! I am probably going to go for a test drive on Saturday. The gas mileage does not scare me too much - I have a V6 Subaru Legacy that is rated at 18/23, the Liberty at 16/22 in 2WD is not too much of a difference.

I am just dumbfounded at the disparity between the reviews and the actual owner's experiences. They really make the Liberty sound like the worst SUV on the road!

Poncherello 04-04-2013 06:39 PM

I average last month of both city and hwy about 16. We use that winterized gas so everyone's mileage drops. My gf's camry mostly in town driving gets about 20. If you live in NY you might want to consider a 4wd. As Bmxer said its heavy because the body I believe is triple plated and for its size and dimensions it can tow and carry a lot if needed. If you happen to come across a flooded road with almost 2ft of water there will be no issues. I have first hand knowledge on that.

The Lib won't win Lemans or set a track record at the Nurbringer, but it would be real fun to the drive the Dakar with it.

lfhoward 04-04-2013 08:01 PM

Some of the reviews I read actually called it the worst car on the road. But that's the problem with those reviews. It's a Jeep not a car. If you want it to get amazing mileage and have sporty handling and a quick 0-60 time, then yeah. Buy a Beemer. But real people who own it really love it, in my experience. I will say the same for mine, too-- Love it. And I wheel it and it is one tough, reliable vehicle.

One final thought. I found mine on a Chevy lot with 23,000 miles on it. After the 3-year lease expired, the previous owner went for a Tahoe (more kids, bigger SUV I guess!). Anyway, I paid only $16,000 including taxes. That's a lot less than what it would have been new, and it's just as nice. If you can find a lightly used Jeep that has the features you want and low mileage, you can save a bundle (like $10,000!).

Stang977 04-04-2013 08:43 PM

White Plains here. Hey neighbor.
2012, Latitude bought this Sept. Third SUV, but first Jeep for me. Wasn't sure until the test drive. Nice and tight. Great in the snow (even with the factory lo pro's.) I'll change those before the next winter though. Good cargo space. Fits all of my sons goalie gear, bag and sticks. Handles well. For the money, one of the best value SUV's out there.(IMO). Shame its gone. Probably get a used one for my son in a year or so. Happy I jumped in before it was to late. F- the reviews.
Best of luck this weekend.

FirstInHell 04-04-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stang977 (Post 15248777)
White Plains here. Hey neighbor.
2012, Latitude bought this Sept. Third SUV, but first Jeep for me. Wasn't sure until the test drive. Nice and tight. Great in the snow (even with the factory lo pro's.) I'll change those before the next winter though. Good cargo space. Fits all of my sons goalie gear, bag and sticks. Handles well. For the money, one of the best value SUV's out there.(IMO). Shame its gone. Probably get a used one for my son in a year or so. Happy I jumped in before it was to late. F- the reviews.
Best of luck this weekend.

I grew up in WP. I'll post a report on Saturday when I get back with how the test drive goes.

My main motivation is just having the extra space for the baby. Once you put a stroller in the trunk there is no room for anything else. Also a 60 mile commute on some of the parkways in some of the tougher winters can get a bit rough. It will be nice to have the 4WD when it is needed.

Gageraid 04-04-2013 09:16 PM

What is your current vehicle now if you don't mind me asking? I bet this Jeep is a million times better!

FirstInHell 04-05-2013 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gageraid (Post 15248949)
What is your current vehicle now if you don't mind me asking? I bet this Jeep is a million times better!

I have a 2010 Subaru Legacy. It is a V6 and has nice power and features. It is just not an "exciting" car. It is a vanilla family sedan.

If you put the Liberty in 2WD does that conserve fuel?

FirstInHell 04-05-2013 08:14 AM

One last question - Do the safety ratings on this model concern anyone? There are a couple spots where it got some low marks mainly the side impact.

The time now is 04:48 PM.