looking to buy kk but so many negative reviews?!?!? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > looking to buy kk but so many negative reviews?!?!?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 02-24-2010, 11:17 AM   #1
gb0413

looking to buy kk but so many negative reviews?!?!?

I'm a family member of an Employee with Jeep, so I get really good deals on them and have driven them since I got my driver's license (Jeeps have been around that long! ) I'm looking at buying a 2010 Liberty sport with the skyslider roof, i've test driven one, my brother in law had 2 liberty's in the '02-'07 days and they were great. My question is, I don't understand why there are so many expert reviews that chew this car up and spit it out? If i've been driving jeeps for a long time, would you say that I'll like this car? I'm really excited about the skyslider Any opinions will be much appreciated

gb0413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 12:03 PM   #2
justjeepinorfw

From everything I've read it's people thinking that it'll drive like a car... it's a Jeep, it's not supposed to drive like a car.

I was thinking about getting a KK but I miss my YJ too much so I decided it'll be a JK for me. I just wish the dealers had the great deals like early 2009.

I wish I could trade my GM employee discount for a Jeep one!
Unread 02-24-2010, 01:02 PM   #3
Elt31987

2008 KK Liberty 

Reason being they dont get Prius Gas Mileage, because they weigh so much and are shaped like a breadbox. They dont ride like cars but there not supposed to. I love my 08 and wouldnt trade it for anything, well maybe a Rubicon lol but nothing else. a Jeep will take you places a car could only dream of and back.
Daystar 2" Spacer Lift With SkyJacker Hydro Shocks
JBA Gen 5.5 Upper Control Arms
Rokmen Riddler 8.25 Differential Cover
2 KC Slimlite 100 Watt Driving Lights on JK Light Bar
245/75/16 All Terrains
Mopar Front Tow Hooks
Mopar Rear Tow Hook
Mopar Skids
Elt31987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 06:29 AM   #4
jeepster09
2009 KK Liberty 

I was an employee of Jeep (Chrysler, 35 years, so I am partial) that said, I've owned Cherokees, Grand Cherokees, Commanders. Now I have an 09 KK Limited w/ Sky Slider. They are TRUCKS, not cars, they will not behave as a car, nor should they. What jeeps are primarily designed for, they do exceedingly well. Every different model Jeep I've owned has attributes that make it stand apart from it's brothers. so it is a matter of what you want your Jeep to do for you. I absolutely love My KK. I have taken it off road, down the Hi way on extended trips. Knowing that it is a truck, it has exceeded my expectations. It is beastly in the mud, it is comfortable,roomy enough and drives well on the paved road. It will never be a Prius (thank god)and I dont want it to be. I can't say enough about the SkySlider, best option I've experienced for the fun and cool factor. Don't believe all the naysayers, go try one out for yourself.
jeepster09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 11:04 AM   #5
gb0413

thanks for all the input, and yeah i didn't mean to write it as a car because i've also been driving jeeps for years and they are far from. For what it's worth i went into the dealership yesterday, and i'm picking up my 2010 liberty sport with the skyslider tomorrow night! can't wait. I've never been offroading so it might be something i'll have to try it out sometime!
Unread 02-25-2010, 12:36 PM   #6
jeepster09
2009 KK Liberty 

congrats, I'm sure you will like it. I'm sure that your new KK will find itself some mud, they seem to like it! If you want to see some really cool KK's, go to Cardomain.com. mine is there as well, under 414298
jeepster09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 05:49 PM   #7
Elt31987

2008 KK Liberty 

Before you hit the trails get a pair of front Tow Hooks which can be used from the KJ (1st Gen Liberty) and a rear tow hook which can also come from the KJ. Get some Skid Plates and as always bring a buddy for recovery. Last thing, have fun
Daystar 2" Spacer Lift With SkyJacker Hydro Shocks
JBA Gen 5.5 Upper Control Arms
Rokmen Riddler 8.25 Differential Cover
2 KC Slimlite 100 Watt Driving Lights on JK Light Bar
245/75/16 All Terrains
Mopar Front Tow Hooks
Mopar Rear Tow Hook
Mopar Skids
Elt31987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2010, 07:06 AM   #8
CajunPatriot
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster09 View Post
I was an employee of Jeep (Chrysler, 35 years, so I am partial) that said, I've owned Cherokees, Grand Cherokees, Commanders. Now I have an 09 KK Limited w/ Sky Slider. They are TRUCKS, not cars, they will not behave as a car, nor should they. What jeeps are primarily designed for, they do exceedingly well. Every different model Jeep I've owned has attributes that make it stand apart from it's brothers. so it is a matter of what you want your Jeep to do for you. I absolutely love My KK. I have taken it off road, down the Hi way on extended trips. Knowing that it is a truck, it has exceeded my expectations. It is beastly in the mud, it is comfortable,roomy enough and drives well on the paved road. It will never be a Prius (thank god)and I dont want it to be. I can't say enough about the SkySlider, best option I've experienced for the fun and cool factor. Don't believe all the naysayers, go try one out for yourself.
I agree 100%. I've owned 5 Jeeps from the Commander to the current Patriot Limited and every Jeep I had did EXACTLY what I bought it for. I will always have a Jeep (or 2) in my stable.
CajunPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2010, 07:15 AM   #9
gb0413

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunPatriot View Post
I agree 100%. I've owned 5 Jeeps from the Commander to the current Patriot Limited and every Jeep I had did EXACTLY what I bought it for. I will always have a Jeep (or 2) in my stable.
I'll agree, i've had my '10 Liberty for a week today and so far i love it. The only thing that i've needed to adjust to is the fuel economy haha, I used to have a 4 cylinder stratus so i'm spending more on gas, but it's worth it.
Unread 03-24-2010, 08:48 AM   #10
ldsniego
2008 KK Liberty 

I've had my '08 for a year and a half and love it... It gets around great in the winter I live in keweenaw Peninsula of Michigan so I've driven through lots of snow and ice, and i haven't had any problems that so many do up here.
ldsniego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2010, 12:40 PM   #11
z06boy
2010 KK Liberty 

I've had my KK for about a month and I'd buy it again.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2010, 05:28 PM   #12
GearGuy10
1998 XJ Cherokee 

My wife loves her KK. I'd like to have one too, but I like not having a car payment more so I'll stick with my XJ as long as I can. Although, here in the Twin Cities they are advertising the 2010 Liberty Sport 4x4 with tow package for $19,900. It's almost enough to get me to buy another one.

HERS: 2009 Liberty Sport Light Graystone Pearl
100% Stock
GearGuy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 09:04 PM   #13
JohnTIZ

I'm glad I found this thread. I test drove a "Trail Rated" Liberty Sport 4x4 this afternoon and was impressed. I had been looking for a good all around vehicle that would double as a capable tow-vehicle for my camper without spending too much money - which to me meant CDN 30k or less. And the model I test drove came in just under that. I felt that the perceived built quality, ride, and over-all experience was very impressive. I plan on bringing my wife back tomorrow to see this truck as well. But in the meantime I did internet research and found a plethora of reviews skewering the Liberty. One or two refused to acknowledge one redeeming quality of this model, which seemed suspicious. But even sites like Edmunds could not be accused of being over-kind to the much maligned Liberty. It is something I can't understand but will keep an open mind about. Because at this price point I don't see anything from GM, Ford, or the main Chrysler stable for that matter, coming close to the Liberty. Does anyone have any comments on quality/reliability, particularly as it relates to power windows, transmission, and so on? What is causing all this bad press for what seems to me to be a fine vehicle at the price point.
JohnTIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 09:18 PM   #14
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTIZ View Post
I'm glad I found this thread. I test drove a "Trail Rated" Liberty Sport 4x4 this afternoon and was impressed. I had been looking for a good all around vehicle that would double as a capable tow-vehicle for my camper without spending too much money - which to me meant CDN 30k or less. And the model I test drove came in just under that. I felt that the perceived built quality, ride, and over-all experience was very impressive. I plan on bringing my wife back tomorrow to see this truck as well. But in the meantime I did internet research and found a plethora of reviews skewering the Liberty. One or two refused to acknowledge one redeeming quality of this model, which seemed suspicious. But even sites like Edmunds could not be accused of being over-kind to the much maligned Liberty. It is something I can't understand but will keep an open mind about. Because at this price point I don't see anything from GM, Ford, or the main Chrysler stable for that matter, coming close to the Liberty. Does anyone have any comments on quality/reliability, particularly as it relates to power windows, transmission, and so on? What is causing all this bad press for what seems to me to be a fine vehicle at the price point.
It's a Jeep,it does what it is supposed to but performs much better when modified(patriot and compass excluded).No matter what they are just not a reliable luxury vehicle,as far as the techno gizmo's.Get a bare bones one and that will be the better value and reliable one,then build it up and have fun like a Jeep is ment to be.
Unread 03-29-2010, 09:20 PM   #15
ivorycruncher

JohnTIZ, I was in the same situation you are in right now. I wanted something different, something capable, with good value, without breaking the bank. Don't read too deeply into "professional" reviews. They make a habit of badmouthing just about any and all American-made cars these days, which I find really, really sad. If you find a review that seems to be negative on virtually every aspect, it's a tainted review, and should be ignored. No vehicle is THAT bad.

I went to my 08 KK from Ford Explorers (a 95 and then a 99). Explorers got unnecessarily bigger after 2001, and too expensive as well. The KK is actually a bit smaller than my Explorers were, but not enough to bother me too much. Its Ford competitor is the Escape, and easily outclasses it in off-road capability. Of course if you want better mileage, you could always go with the Escape Hybrid, but you'll have more fun with the Jeep, regardless of whether you go offroading or not. Plus, I think it's more expensive. And yeah, Government Motors has absolutely nothing that could seriously compete with a Jeep. I test-drove a Chevy Equinox once, and it left a bad taste in my mouth.

This is my first Jeep, and I don't think I'll be switching back to Ford anytime soon, and in terms of value for the money, I honestly don't think you can get a better deal than the KK. It's certainly not a perfect vehicle (there isn't such a thing), but so far its shortcomings do not overpower its good points. The one bit of advice I have is to spring for the Limited model if you can afford it. Even if you do like me and get the base Limited package without getting all the extra packages, the extra features are, in my opinion, well worth it, especially if you plan to spend more time on the highway than off. I see you can buy some of the Limited-only features to add on later, but you'll never get all of them. I got the base limited with trailer tow, although I now wish I had also sprung for the MyGIG NAV system as well.
ivorycruncher is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.