looking to buy 2008 or newer Liberty - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > looking to buy 2008 or newer Liberty

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 09-21-2011, 09:56 PM   #1
jtj499
1997 TJ Wrangler 

looking to buy 2008 or newer Liberty

I am looking into buying a 2008 or newer Liberty (probably 2008 due to the budget). It will be used as the family car with moderate offroading and driving through snow at times. Should I find one with the part time Command Trak or the full time Select Trak four wheel dirve. Any help would be appreciated.

jtj499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2011, 06:14 AM   #2
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

I like the ability and functions of the Select Trac, however this maybe a difficult find due to the number of Liberty that have this option.

At the risk of getting flamed here, I would look for a 2009 or newer. It just looks to me that a number of post associated with problems are from the first year release of the KK model (2008).

If you are looking at a cash purchase I understand the budget limitations. If you are going to finance the vehicle, you may want to explore purchasing new and compare payments of new vs pre-owned. While most used Liberty have lived most of their life as a mall cruiser/soccer mom/grocery getter, you never know if proper maintance has be kept up with as it should have been. New offers a warranty, used may leave you on your own. Or if buying used from a dealer, have an extended warranty thrown to the deal.
Unread 09-22-2011, 08:27 AM   #3
jeepin79
2008 KK Liberty 

I agree with the getting a warranty if you buy used. I made the mistake of buying what looked like a GREAT used Ford Escape a year ago and it all but fell apart on me. After paying a couple thousand bucks in repair costs I traded it in for my KK. Not saying the KK is better than the Escape, I really liked the Escape but I had to cut my losses. I bought the Jeep Max Care warranty, it was 4 years/40k. Now I dont care if the Jeep burst into flames, its their problem now if it breaks. I can finally sleep at night.
jeepin79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2011, 08:33 AM   #4
TonyLS

There are a lot of good deals on 2008 models coming off of 3 year leases. I purchased a 2008 pre-leased lib with 21000 miles for $15500. It's practically brand new. I was lucky that the previous owner brought the lib to the dealer for regular maintenance which was documented in the car-fax. I also had my mechanic check it out for piece of mind, the dealer made all of the arrangements of setting up that appointment with him including bringing the vehicle to him.

I figured I saved $1000 the first year by buying pre-owned from the savings on sale taxes, excise tax and insurance when compared to a new vehicle. Since it is a certified pre-owned vehicle I have 8 year 80k mile drive train warranty. With a 90 days 3750 bumber to bumber warranty.

In the past I was always a buy-new person, I've changed my tuned on that...there are a lot of good vehicles out their. But buyer beware, get it checked out.

Good luck.
TonyLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2011, 10:07 AM   #5
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
There are a lot of good deals on 2008 models coming off of 3 year leases. I purchased a 2008 pre-leased lib with 21000 miles for $15500. It's practically brand new. I was lucky that the previous owner brought the lib to the dealer for regular maintenance which was documented in the car-fax. I also had my mechanic check it out for piece of mind, the dealer made all of the arrangements of setting up that appointment with him including bringing the vehicle to him.
I bought mine off a lease too. Certified used. Only thing I was concerned about is that I didn't see regular maintenance on the Car Fax. They must have taken it to their personal mechanic... I hope.
huntb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2011, 01:27 PM   #6
jeepin79
2008 KK Liberty 

Mine was also an off lease but I purchased it from an independent dealer vs a Jeep dealer. Mine was also a very good deal considering what it would have cost me new.
jeepin79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2011, 04:19 PM   #7
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Depending on what your budget is (at the risk of sounding like a salesman). If you are looking to buy outright then nevermind my post. If you are looking at payments then you might consider a brand new Liberty. There were, and I believe still are, some good incentives on 2011 Jeeps. When my wife and I went to lookin we discovered that with a decent trade-in or cash down, a new 2011 Liberty Limited had $3K factory incentive, as well we financed on a six year note and it worked out well for our budget. We have always payed our vehicles off at least a year early so this was a good option for us and we have full warranty on the rig. Something to chew on, at least. Good luck and happy hunting.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone

Last edited by JeepN4KC; 09-22-2011 at 04:35 PM..
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2012, 02:33 PM   #8
jtj499
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the advise! I bought one 4 days ago. Found a great deal, a 2011 with 5200 miles for $18k. It has the select trac 4x4 sunroof and many other options. So far we live it!
jtj499 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.