Lifted Liberty Owners - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Lifted Liberty Owners

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 07-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
KVA

Lifted Liberty Owners

So, I'm considering a Jet model. I really like the vehicle except for one thing - the drivetrain. Seems a bit on the small side, no?

Anyway, the reason I'm asking is, I'm going to want to put a small (2-3") lift and also larger tires. I'm wondering how your performance has been since doing these mods? How's acceleration, cornering, overall handling? I realize the lift/suspension has the most say in how the vehicle will behave but mostly, I'm wondering how well the engine/tranny moves your bigger tires. I have a 4.7 magnum in my dakota, so I'm used to a high performance engine and if the Liberty moves like a tank, I may be dissuaded. Really, I just want honest feedback because, if its as bad as <random car website> says it is, maybe the Liberty isn't for me. If only Chrysler optioned the 5.7 Hemi, I wouldn't even have to second guess my purchase.

Looking forward to your responses. I just hope there are enough people with modded Libertys.

KVA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
marlon_jbt
2010 KK Liberty 

It's all a matter of opinion.

The Liberty is no speed demon, but it doesn't have to be. It's not supposed to be. But IMO, it's nowhere near slow either.

To solve your power concerns with larger tires, the solution is simple. Regear. The Liberty comes with 3.73 gears in the differentials. Go 4.56, maybe?
Unread 07-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

It handles a mile higher elevation every day just fine here, and we are making do with 20% less power. It had no problems with 14k feet of elevation either, or the steep grades. If you go with a much bigger tire, you'll want to consider regearing, at least one step lower, 4.10/4.11's, and that is true with any vehicle that gets lifted.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2012, 07:47 PM   #4
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

^ Agreed.
Unread 07-08-2012, 07:47 PM   #5
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

^ Agreed.
Unread 07-08-2012, 08:16 PM   #6
KVA

Thanks very much for the suggestion. I'd never even thought of regearing but that's the way I'd prbably go.
KVA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2012, 02:39 AM   #7
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

Stock it's slow. Torquey but slow. Let me put it this way, from 65mph to 105mph it barely pulls away from a Honda Insight.....
Bmxer524 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2012, 07:31 AM   #8
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Barely pulls away from a Honda Insight
you have a serious problem
Unread 07-09-2012, 07:51 AM   #9
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Something is amiss at the circle K. How long's that engine light been on, or does it work?
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #10
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
Barely pulls away from a Honda Insight
you have a serious problem
I was in a rush, and he sat in the left lane not passing anyone. He didn't like the fact that I rode his @$$ until I could get around him. And then he jumped on it when I started to pass him. New York drivers are all like that.... That pos did stay on my door, the KK was barely pulling away.
Unread 07-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #11
Cutelildevil666
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmxer524 View Post
I was in a rush, and he sat in the left lane not passing anyone. He didn't like the fact that I rode his @$$ until I could get around him. And then he jumped on it when I started to pass him. New York drivers are all like that.... That pos did stay on my door, the KK was barely pulling away.
Well, a Honda Insight probably weighs half as much as the KK...not that it makes it any better LOL
Unread 07-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #12
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Yeah you got a problem with your KK.I can out accelerate smaller cars with ease and my KJ is over 6000lbs with the stock 3.7 and 35" tires.
Unread 07-11-2012, 01:27 AM   #13
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
LOL, I hope you are not going to tell us a chick was driving the Honda lol. I found some numbers off of msn autos.

Honda Insight/ Jeep Liberty
Curb weight: 2747lbs/ 4269lbs
Horsepower 98HP/ 210hp
Torque 123ftlbs/ 235ftlbs
Trans CVT/ 4spd slush box
Weight to HP 28.03 lbs per horse/ 20.32lbs per horse

I will give you this the Jeep has about the same aerodynamics as a barn lol.
Unread 07-11-2012, 01:39 AM   #14
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

It was a guy. It might just be the high speed part. I know off the line the KK is faster then other cars, but the 4 speed starts killing us after the initial pull. The end of 2nd to 3rd gear pull barely pulls away from cars with closer trannys.

And I'm not saying I didn't pull away, it just wasn't enough to brag about.
Unread 01-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #15
27tubguy
2008 KK Liberty 

but then..........

you remembered this is a JEEP, not a mustang, camaro porsche etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.