Lifetime powertrain warranty warning - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Lifetime powertrain warranty warning

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsPoison Spyder DeFender Inner Fender KitsCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-01-2012, 06:36 PM   #1
Soggybrain
2004 WJ 

Lifetime powertrain warranty warning

My mother owns a 08 bone stock liberty and the transmission went after only 63k miles. She drives it conservatively, no hard breaking or full throttle acceleration. When the transmission went the dealership installed a brand new one. My fathers friend who works at the dealership informed them that the powertrain inspection needs to be done every like 5 years or x amount of miles to retain the warranty. Just a heads up for you guys.

Unread 11-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
Dave_B
2008 KK Liberty 

You are correct, within 60 days of the date the truck was put into service. Can the moderator sticky this.
Unread 11-01-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
az16339
2009 KK Liberty 

60 days?.......... or 60 months. Since the tranny is a mechanical component, shouldn't the "wear" factor be based on miles, not time? What does the passage of time have to do with the condition of a transmission? Not much at all IMHO, expecially vs. miles of use.
az16339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #4
Soggybrain
2004 WJ 

I think he meant 60 months and thats just how warranty works man. They want you to not know and let your warranty run out. that's why i posted so u guys dont get screwed.
Unread 11-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #5
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by az16339 View Post
60 days?.......... or 60 months. Since the tranny is a mechanical component, shouldn't the "wear" factor be based on miles, not time? What does the passage of time have to do with the condition of a transmission? Not much at all IMHO, expecially vs. miles of use.
You must have the vehicle inspected at a dealership within 60 days of every 5th year of ownership to maintain the warranty.If you miss it your SOL.
Unread 11-07-2012, 09:03 AM   #6
griff02
2008 KK Liberty 

yea, I just posted a question in another thread about this. I don't know about a mileage mark, but it is within 60 days of the in service date (from jeep they said that is the purchase date) every 5 years. I'm curious if anyone has done this inspection, and what I can expect from the dealer when I go to have it done. I don't normally deal with the dealer at all, so I'm always leery of going.

Anybody had it done? let us know how it went....
griff02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #7
Katmandu
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by az16339 View Post
What does the passage of time have to do with the condition of a transmission? Not much at all IMHO, expecially vs. miles of use.
Ever heard of transmissions springing leaks from gaskets shrinking due to sitting in the garage and not being driven ???

Happens quite frequently actually.
Katmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 05:01 PM   #8
BillyP

Just went over 5 years of ownership on our 08. Last month we got a card in the mail informing us of the inspection requirement. Made an appointment and took it in... took 45 minutes and they didn't try and sell me additional services.
BillyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 10:05 PM   #9
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_B View Post
You are correct, within 60 days of the date the truck was put into service. Can the moderator sticky this.
I'll work on it. Just got a new laptop and I am ready to throw this one out the window.
Unread 01-27-2013, 10:34 PM   #10
marlon_jbt
2010 KK Liberty 

I fail to understand how they "want you to not know", when they send cards in the mail *and* if you read your documentation, it explicitly states this requirement.
Unread 01-29-2013, 10:08 AM   #11
Wearyman
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlon_jbt View Post
I fail to understand how they "want you to not know", when they send cards in the mail *and* if you read your documentation, it explicitly states this requirement.

Most dealerships are run by honest people who help their customers honor their warranties (and, indeed profit by doing so). But there are a few that would rather charge you the full amount for Tranny repair and thus are less than scrupulous about reminding customers about warranties and/or properly honoring warranties.

If you suspect this about your dealership, be sure to contact Chrysler directly via their customer help line, and look for another dealership to have the warranty work done in if possible.
Wearyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #12
marlon_jbt
2010 KK Liberty 

A vehicle owner should know these things. They should not have to depend on the dealership to tell them.

RESEARCH AND READ!
Unread 02-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #13
patrickkel1
2008 KK Liberty 

The dealership in Dublin,CA reminded me to get the 5 year inspection done, when I brought my 2008 Liberty in for routine service. No extra charge for the inspection. This is in California, land of high prices, high taxes, extra fees and charges. This dealer has my loyalty now.
patrickkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 06:09 PM   #14
Dave_B
2008 KK Liberty 

I received a second postcard from Jeep reminding me to get my inspection.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.