Liberty Towing Questions - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Liberty Towing Questions

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsLabor Day Sale!

Unread 06-02-2013, 11:19 AM   #16
PanthersFan
Not old, just older

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barber
Hi All... I'm new here with my first post so pls b patient with me if I make mistakes. Like WKUTJ I have a similar boat (trailer reg is 2400#s) and we've looked at 2011 / 2012 KK's but I'm concernd about towing limits and power to get boat out of the ramp. Never had a Jeep b4 & only know the 3.7L engine from a test drive but it seems powerful enough. These are lease units at a dealer and I've read other discussions about tranny coolers being standard or not???? ..... Getting the hitch installed is not a problem but does anybody know if the coolers are standard from the factory and how do you feel about the 3.7L pulling out of baot launch? We like the Liberty but I don't want issues from buying less than I need. Max distance I'd be traveling would probably be 200 miles at a time. Thanks in advance for any input.
You will have no problem getting your boat out of the water, unless it weighs a lot more than 2400 lbs.

THE Conventions of a number of the States, having at the time of their adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added: And as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government, will best ensure the beneficent ends of its institution.
PanthersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 07:22 AM   #17
mblackwell
2009 KK Liberty 

Barber

It will be fine at the ramp as long as the boat isn't really big or heavy (>20' + 5k lbs,) and you have 4 wheel drive.
No tire spinning like with the 2wd pickups!
No overheating like with the tropical fishes!
No zizzing and dripping like with the austrian self sharpening razors!
mblackwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 07:47 PM   #18
Barber

Thanks guys but do either of you know if tranny coolers are supplied on all the standard production Libertys? Like I said.... what I'm looking at were rentals or lease units without tow packages(no hitch). I just wonder if I'll need to add more than a hitch and wiring to keep from overstressing the drivetrain.
Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 10:16 PM   #19
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

I think there is a tranny cooler already on it. I think it is separate from the radiator.
Unread 06-05-2013, 06:20 AM   #20
brunolambert
2008 KK Liberty 

My understanding is the tranny cooler is part of the tow package, so not available on every Liberty. Hopefully someone can confirm this but if I was you I would make sure it's there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barber View Post
Thanks guys but do either of you know if tranny coolers are supplied on all the standard production Libertys? Like I said.... what I'm looking at were rentals or lease units without tow packages(no hitch). I just wonder if I'll need to add more than a hitch and wiring to keep from overstressing the drivetrain.
brunolambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 09:36 AM   #21
heiliges
2012 KK Liberty 

Yeah I got the factory installed option... came with extra cooler, nice little tow button that changes the engine revs and braking parameters for towing extra weight. May actually help sway as well because I have seen it engage when towing a heavy boat versus not having it on when towing a lighter boat. Its a nice little feature as I was on the edge of its rated capabilities. 4500lb boat with full tanks of fuel and water and four in the jeep along with misc other things like coolers etc. Not sure what the wet weight was but let me say without the sway control I could have been all over the place on the highway.
heiliges is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #22
rescue575

2011 KK Liberty 

Dont think the tow/haul button has anything to do with tow package though. I have that button as well on my 2011 sport. No tow package installed (not from dealer anyway.
Cobra 75, Firestik Door Jam Mount, HD Spring, 2Ft Firestik
Dunlop Fierce Attitude M/T
rescue575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #23
heiliges
2012 KK Liberty 

good to know... one would wonder if you have the added cooler.
heiliges is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #24
rescue575

2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by heiliges
good to know... one would wonder if you have the added cooler.
Anything is possible. One day when I'm motivated enough i have to check the build spec sheet to see everything that was put in it. I wouldn't think so though being the base sport with just popular package.
Cobra 75, Firestik Door Jam Mount, HD Spring, 2Ft Firestik
Dunlop Fierce Attitude M/T
rescue575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 05:00 AM   #25
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

I just did my differential service then went on road trip pulling a few thousand pound trailer with an 2011 liberty 4X4 Jet limited. Went about 700 miles and my mpg actually went up about .5 mpg with all highway miles vs. City. I had absolutely no issues at all. Liberty performed marvelous!
Skipper6413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #26
CBRDude

Most towing packages come with the tranny cooler and some other features to help the process out. All tranny’s have a cooler as it’s required to help keep the fluid cool. Most standard coolers are run through the radiator. Although not the most efficient method for cooling, it does get the job done. For trailer pulling I would highly recommend an external cooler. Most trailering packages offer that as part of the package.

I've not figured out what comes with the Jeep package. I'm guessing from reading only the hitch and the wiring harness is all you get?

I would highly suggest if towing for any length of time and or weight that you add an external cooler or you're going to buying a new/rebuilt transmission.

Slapping a hitch and trailer wiring on any vehicle does not make it a tow vehicle. The 5K towing capacity of the Liberty is if properly equipped. Got to read the fine print.
CBRDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #27
PanthersFan
Not old, just older

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRDude
Most towing packages come with the tranny cooler and some other features to help the process out. All tranny’s have a cooler as it’s required to help keep the fluid cool. Most standard coolers are run through the radiator. Although not the most efficient method for cooling, it does get the job done. For trailer pulling I would highly recommend an external cooler. Most trailering packages offer that as part of the package.

I've not figured out what comes with the Jeep package. I'm guessing from reading only the hitch and the wiring harness is all you get?

I would highly suggest if towing for any length of time and or weight that you add an external cooler or you're going to buying a new/rebuilt transmission.

Slapping a hitch and trailer wiring on any vehicle does not make it a tow vehicle. The 5K towing capacity of the Liberty is if properly equipped. Got to read the fine print.
Mine came with an external transmission cooler.
THE Conventions of a number of the States, having at the time of their adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added: And as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government, will best ensure the beneficent ends of its institution.
PanthersFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.