Liberty Towing Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Liberty Towing Questions

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 03-20-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
Slayers
2008 KK Liberty 

Liberty Towing Questions

Hello,

I have a few questions about towing, I have moved from NY to MI in the last year and have to go pick up the rest of my stuff.

I am looking at getting the uhaul 5x9 trailor to carry my motorcycle, bed, small toolbox, plus other smaller boxes. I just want to make sure the Liberty will be able to handle this load.

I have a 2008 limited it does not have a hitch now so I would assume that it does not have the towing package.

Slayers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
AtTheHelm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayers
Hello,

I have a few questions about towing, I have moved from NY to MI in the last year and have to go pick up the rest of my stuff.

I am looking at getting the uhaul 5x9 trailor to carry my motorcycle, bed, small toolbox, plus other smaller boxes. I just want to make sure the Liberty will be able to handle this load.

I have a 2008 limited it does not have a hitch now so I would assume that it does not have the towing package.
Depends on the weight of the trailer plus the load you put in it. Trailer brake laws vary state to state but its usually after 3k lbs. The Liberty is supposedly capable of towing 5k lbs, (really pushing it imo) but you need a 7 pin harness and that is using a weight distributing hitch. For smaller trailers and loads you can just get the much less expensive 4 pin harness.
Try estimating the total weight of the load including the trailer. You didn't mention what kind of motorcycle, how big/heavy your toolbox is etc.
AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #3
JeepCares

There is information on trailer towing on page 364 of the 2008 Liberty Owner Manual you can download here.
Unread 03-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

Welcome to MI! The Mopar hitch is your best bet for looks and functionality although the wiring harness for it is $$$
huntb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #5
Slayers
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheHelm View Post
Depends on the weight of the trailer plus the load you put in it. Trailer brake laws vary state to state but its usually after 3k lbs. The Liberty is supposedly capable of towing 5k lbs, (really pushing it imo) but you need a 7 pin harness and that is using a weight distributing hitch. For smaller trailers and loads you can just get the much less expensive 4 pin harness.
Try estimating the total weight of the load including the trailer. You didn't mention what kind of motorcycle, how big/heavy your toolbox is etc.
The motorcycle is a sportsbike the title says 380lbs for total weight.

The toolbox is just a small rolling cart with what is left from my days of being a tech.
Slayers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #6
HSOUSA
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntb View Post
Welcome to MI! The Mopar hitch is your best bet for looks and functionality although the wiring harness for it is $$$
The mopar hitch will do the same job as any class 3 hitch offered by aftermarket companies.
HSOUSA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
wkutj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I don't want to start a new thread about towing but do you guys think the KK will be fine to use to pull a fiberglass fishing boat. It's 17ft, single axle trailer and I can't find the spec list to get an accurate weight but I would guess not more than 2k lbs. I know the tow rating is 5K. I will be possibly pulling it up to 100 miles. I currently have a TJ and am looking for a different vehicle and want to stay in the Jeep line up. Any advice is much appreciated.
wkutj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 01:15 PM   #8
mblackwell
2009 KK Liberty 

towing boat

We towed a 19' stingray all last summer. It was fine!
mblackwell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 01:33 PM   #9
rescue575
2011 KK Liberty 

Towed this (once) About 60 miles. 17ft fiberglass with aftermarket Curt hitch. Cannot verify total weight but pulled it without any issue.

image-2514896202.jpg
Cobra 75, Firestik Door Jam Mount, HD Spring, 2Ft Firestik
Dunlop Fierce Attitude M/T
rescue575 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 03:08 PM   #10
wkutj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys.
wkutj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 03:27 PM   #11
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSOUSA View Post
The mopar hitch will do the same job as any class 3 hitch offered by aftermarket companies.
True, but the Mopar hitch tucks up in the bumper for a better descent angle and also looks stock unlike aftermarket hitches that hang low
huntb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #12
AtTheHelm

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntb

True, but the Mopar hitch tucks up in the bumper for a better descent angle and also looks stock unlike aftermarket hitches that hang low
Second that, i have/had the curt and also borrowed a mopar hitch for testing/jigging.
The mopar is much cleaner, I would have paid the extra money for it over the curt.
AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2013, 07:05 AM   #13
_benjammin
2012 KK Liberty 

I'm glad I got the Mopar hitch and wiring, very simple install and as mentioned, clean looking. I still don't have a brake controller but still plan on getting one.

And towed this ATV trailer with no problems:

_benjammin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2013, 08:57 AM   #14
PanthersFan
Not old, just older

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkutj View Post
I don't want to start a new thread about towing but do you guys think the KK will be fine to use to pull a fiberglass fishing boat. It's 17ft, single axle trailer and I can't find the spec list to get an accurate weight but I would guess not more than 2k lbs. I know the tow rating is 5K. I will be possibly pulling it up to 100 miles. I currently have a TJ and am looking for a different vehicle and want to stay in the Jeep line up. Any advice is much appreciated.
I pull my 2,200lbs boat loaded with gear, and a full KK with luggage and 4 people 500 miles round trip to the beach twice a year. You will be fine.
THE Conventions of a number of the States, having at the time of their adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added: And as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government, will best ensure the beneficent ends of its institution.
PanthersFan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 10:30 AM   #15
Barber

Hi All... I'm new here with my first post so pls b patient with me if I make mistakes. Like WKUTJ I have a similar boat (trailer reg is 2400#s) and we've looked at 2011 / 2012 KK's but I'm concernd about towing limits and power to get boat out of the ramp. Never had a Jeep b4 & only know the 3.7L engine from a test drive but it seems powerful enough. These are lease units at a dealer and I've read other discussions about tranny coolers being standard or not???? ..... Getting the hitch installed is not a problem but does anybody know if the coolers are standard from the factory and how do you feel about the 3.7L pulling out of baot launch? We like the Liberty but I don't want issues from buying less than I need. Max distance I'd be traveling would probably be 200 miles at a time. Thanks in advance for any input.
Barber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.