Liberty Mileage Rollback - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Liberty Mileage Rollback

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Alloy USA Still AvailableCurrie Currectlync Steering Upgrade Kits and Currie Anti-R

Unread 04-28-2014, 01:47 PM   #1
scottbaty

Liberty Mileage Rollback

I bought a 2008 Liberty from a dealer and the more I drive it, the more it feels like a 100k mile plus vehicle. Only showed 45k when I bought it. My question is if the mileage is rolled back on the display, does the computer keep a true mileage that a dealer can check for me? My last Liberty had 136k on it and was such a better, tighter, quieter(motor) vehicle.

scottbaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2014, 01:52 PM   #2
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

I would think its impossible to roll back the mileage. Also you have a 6 year old vehicle with very little mileage compared to the norm.

Could be that your Jeep is affected by the lack of use from the previous owner. My KK is an 09 with 25k I bought it at 14.5k and I've noticed its had a couple issues due to its sitting.

The owners manual states to follow the severe service plan if you don't drive a lot.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
LKWJEEPER is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2014, 11:31 AM   #3
mrbeal
2011 KK Liberty 

As far as I know, the only way you can roll back the odometer in a current vehicle is to replace the computer. The computer stores the mileage and projects it to your digital dash... if you replace the dash all you get is newer shinier dials and such... the digital readout comes from the computer. There may be a way to tell though... the computer, I believe, also stores the VIN. If you hook it up to a computer and the VIN doesn't match then there's a chance you have a high mileage vehicle and were scammed by the dealer (assuming your title doesn't mention a mileage discrepancy).
mrbeal is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2014, 11:56 AM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

The mileage is stored in the IC(Instrument Cluster),the only way to "roll back" the mileage is to install a new IC and paper work is required by law to do that and the IC must be programmed with the current vehicle mileage which the dealership can not do.Unless someone switched in a junkyard IC there is not much you can do.

Like already stated a very low mileage vehicle that old can feel worse then a higher mileage vehicle from lack of use.
Unread 04-29-2014, 02:04 PM   #5
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Change the spark plugs and I bet you'll notice a difference. See if another KK is as noisy.
Gageraid is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2014, 08:34 PM   #6
kiwi_outdoors
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbaty View Post
I bought a 2008 Liberty from a dealer and the more I drive it, the more it feels like a 100k mile plus vehicle. Only showed 45k when I bought it. My question is if the mileage is rolled back on the display, does the computer keep a true mileage that a dealer can check for me? My last Liberty had 136k on it and was such a better, tighter, quieter(motor) vehicle.
my 2008 bought recently had 45,700 miles on it - runs great. Is it possible that your can had been overloaded I use? Often, perhaps? (more likely if it has a tow package)
Unread 05-08-2014, 01:20 AM   #7
JoeTDI
2012 KK Liberty 

I know that for VW/Audi, there is aftermarket (illegal) software where you can just hook your laptop to your ECU via OBD2 and make the mileage whatever is desired.... Are there programs like this for other makes and models? Probably..... Is this what happened with your Jeep? Doubtful, but you never know.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.