Liberty doesn't want to reverse uphill - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Liberty doesn't want to reverse uphill

Good deal on WheelsZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 02-04-2015, 09:39 AM   #1
ylojelo

Liberty doesn't want to reverse uphill

Thats it. I haven't experienced it yet (I haven't tried), but my daughter says she repeatedly has the problem of being unable to reverse uphill. Any ideas where to start?

ylojelo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2015, 11:38 AM   #2
josworth
2010 KK Liberty 

A little more detail?

Does she get stuck or scared? If she is backing up slowly uphill (like into a sloped driveway) and it starts to "shudder" scaring her to think something is wrong.... it is fine... Just tell her that when it shudders or shakes, just give it a bit more throttle... it is perfectly normal.

Search in the forum under "reverse shudder" and you will see many threads about it.

Now if she is getting stuck or no matter what she does with the throttle it will not move.... that is a whole different issue.

2010 Jeep Liberty Limited
josworth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2015, 12:03 PM   #3
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Throw it in low range , back out, back in 2 wheel drive and be on your way
Unread 02-04-2015, 12:10 PM   #4
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Perfectly normal. She just needs to get used to it.
Some owners just aren't used to how this Jeep feels in reverse. It's heavy, which means you have to give it some throttle in reverse or any gear for that matter.
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2015, 02:06 PM   #5
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

Yea the shuddering is pretty normal. Some hills are too steep to even use reverse on. I've had it floored and she'd barely back up a hill. I think the problem is the reverse gear is too tall. I think I seen Troy mention that the older KJs with the different tranny didn't have the problem because of the shorter reverse gear.
Unread 02-04-2015, 05:33 PM   #6
Gemdog
2010 KK Liberty 

Coincidence... I logged in to ask the same question.

I'm on 30s without regearing, which probably doesn't help, but I can't get it to pop up a 1 inch step in my yard in reverse without jumping to 4Hi. Flat to the floor and nothing happens.
(Step is only on one side of the car.) Because of where it is I can't take a run up at it either.

I don't get a shudder, it's like I'm holding both pedals lining up to launch it from the lights (I don't do that in the Jeep). My sister's driveway I have to pop into 4Lo to climb up part of it backwards, and it's not that steep, It's even worse when the trailer is on.. I've also got stuck in a 3-point turn, and had to 4Lo it to get moving again.

Would regearing help this at all, or is reverse gearing a problem even on stock sizes?

I've had the Valve Body and Solenoids in the Trans replaced, after the Previous Owner skipped the service (grrr....). I'm also looking at getting seals done now, as there's a short pressure loss during the 2-3 upshift if it's under load. Prices I have gotten back I'm trying to decide if it's easier just to swap out entirely, do ATS Diesel trans work on Gassers, and are they worth it?
Gemdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2015, 07:04 PM   #7
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

I think it would cost a ton of money to swap the tranny. As for if it does it stock, yes, just not as severe. Regearing will help, as will more power. It's a matter of overcoming the tall reverse gear.
Unread 02-04-2015, 08:19 PM   #8
Gemdog
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmxer524 View Post
I think it would cost a ton of money to swap the tranny. As for if it does it stock, yes, just not as severe. Regearing will help, as will more power. It's a matter of overcoming the tall reverse gear.
Thanks for that. Regearing is on the cards, but I'm only ever on light trails and long distance runs, so it hasn't been a priority.

The initial quotes I got around here were around $4K for a rebuild to sort out the pressure loss in 3rd, depending on what they find inside (as soon as you say Jeep here, $$$) and when they said the Trans had to come out anyway the swap idea came up. Shipping will still be a killer.

$2k after swap = http://www.atsdiesel.com/ats2/produc...p?p=3069408320

I've just been living with the loss, as long as I back off during the shift it behaves, under power it will surge. (The problem before was it was overpressure, causing MIL, when that was fixed, then this appeared.)
Gemdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2015, 02:23 PM   #9
ylojelo

Yup, that's it exactly, it shutters and seemingly doesn't want to back up. I told her to use the gas more and if that doesn't work to drop it into 4Hi (or 4Low if need be). Thanks again!
ylojelo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2015, 04:17 PM   #10
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

4high is 1:1 like 2wd. 4low will give more torque since it's 2.72:1.
Unread 02-16-2015, 05:50 PM   #11
orionsbelt77

Reverse shudder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylojelo View Post
Thats it. I haven't experienced it yet (I haven't tried), but my daughter says she repeatedly has the problem of being unable to reverse uphill. Any ideas where to start?
Yes, my '11 does it too. I stop at the mailbox and backup into my driveway. It feels as though it does not want to go, but applying more throttle makes it go. Reverse gear seems to be a problem with these Liberties, perhaps too tall a reverse gear.
orionsbelt77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2015, 07:27 PM   #12
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Do they test these things before they go on the market? Maybe they figure it's adequate enough for what most people do. Sounds like an annoying problem though. I'll have to remember not to put myself in a situation where I have no choice, but to back up hill. Good to know you can get out of it with 4x4.
Rob K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2015, 11:36 PM   #13
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Thankfully, I haven't had this issue with reverse. running 265/70r16 and my driveway is pretty steep.

Was wondering if you guys had looked in having a " flash" done - I had something like that done to eliminate the shudder afterwards, shifts better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.