libby gas mileage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > libby gas mileage

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 10-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
guns+mud87

libby gas mileage

Filled my tank full after running to almost empty. I noticed that I get better mpg when its full. Anyone else notice this? Second half of tank goes quick

guns+mud87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by guns+mud87
Filled my tank full after running to almost empty. I noticed that I get better mpg when its full. Anyone else notice this? Second half of tank goes quick
Reason for that, is that you have to compensate for the filler neck; not too certain how extra gas you hold there, but in some cases can be quite a bit. I just 20.11 mpg and my most recent 19.18 mpg all hwy. Hit some traffic and a bit more aggressive on the throttle with my most recent refill.
Unread 10-28-2012, 02:31 PM   #3
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

I find that at stop and go city driving as well as lower speed urban driving I get better MPG with the tow/haul activated. Plus, it is a heck of a lot more fun to drive!!!
Unread 10-30-2012, 03:12 PM   #4
bagwell
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
I find that at stop and go city driving as well as lower speed urban driving I get better MPG with the tow/haul activated. Plus, it is a heck of a lot more fun to drive!!!
really....how so?
bagwell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

I don't know why the better MPG, maybe it make the RPMs hang in at a better power to speed or weight ratio. But, by the CPU causing the transmission to shift at different point in tow/haul mode there is none of that low RPM lugging or sluggish motion displayed.

Just give it a try and see if I am not correct. If you don't agree with me, come on back and say so. It won't be the first time I have been disagreed with, heck fire my Wife does all the time. But, it does give a much needed pep to the Liberty.
Unread 11-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #6
bagwell
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
I don't know why the better MPG, maybe it make the RPMs hang in at a better power to speed or weight ratio. But, by the CPU causing the transmission to shift at different point in tow/haul mode there is none of that low RPM lugging or sluggish motion displayed.

Just give it a try and see if I am not correct. If you don't agree with me, come on back and say so. It won't be the first time I have been disagreed with, heck fire my Wife does all the time. But, it does give a much needed pep to the Liberty.
finally tried it....no likey ---- only noticed the higher shift points (at a steady 50mph it will still be in 3rd gear) , no performance increase.
bagwell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #7
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

It will lock the OD out and will help at slower speeds and in town. It won't be trying to upshift all of the time
Unread 11-04-2012, 08:15 AM   #8
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

Keep in mind that I was speaking about running around traffic in town and urban settings. So I was talking speeds up to the neighborhood of 45 MPH. Once you are up to 50 MPH you most likely are not in a city/urban area or are speeding....LOL!!! I also have left the tow/haul turned on at speeds over 50 MPH if I am no a twisty road or with plenty of hills as to keep down on the multi shifting of the transmission searching for where it wants to be.
Unread 11-06-2012, 06:38 AM   #9
Zak62592
2008 KK Liberty 

Usually average around 15.9 on a bad week or 16.5. Now that the winter gas has arrived it'll be even worse now.. sigh
Zak62592 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #10
OPjhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by guns+mud87 View Post
How're you measuring mpg?
OPjhawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #11
atljeepkid

I get about 15 around the city and held about 23 on the highway the other day. About a 50 mile trip.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 11-13-2012, 09:03 AM   #12
theotherone
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
It will lock the OD out and will help at slower speeds and in town. It won't be trying to upshift all of the time
I tried this last week. Driving in town for me is brutal. It's all stop and go and you rarely get it up over 25mph. For such a backwards town in the middle of nowhere we have some serious traffic jams. I think it has a lot to do with a mix between a city that can't regulate traffic flow and drivers with an unregulated flow of pain pills in their systems. I can't think of a town with worse drivers anywhere, and I've really tried.

So the Liberty goes from 14mpg city to 16mpg city if I turn off the overdrive. I find myself staying out of the gas more as traffic lurches from red light to red light at every intersection, waiting for the car stalled in front of me to move, speeding up and slowing down as the driver in front of me randomly brakes and accelerates to avoid the flying sharks, oh the list goes on forever.

So I just click off the overdrive except for a stretch of four lane where we might get up to 40 or 50 if the old mini-van leading the parade can keep on the gas.

Thanks for the tip!
theotherone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #13
mblackwell
2009 KK Liberty 

tow haul or not tow haul

I used the tow haul last week commuting to work got 18.8 in stop and go. I did a 233 mile trip this weekend w/o tow haul, mostly rural 2 lane highway, 21.1 calculated by (meter/calculator).
mblackwell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #14
backinblack
2009 KK Liberty 

I'm chugging out 16 mpg city...costs about $60 a week. No complaints as my other vehicle option was a RAM 1500, a real gaz guzzler. Think I'll try the tow mode though and see what happens.
backinblack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2012, 06:56 AM   #15
rescue575
2011 KK Liberty 

I have read that using the tow/haul mode helps improve gas mileage, but my question is will it cause any long term issues if it is constantly used when not actually towing?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Cobra 75, Firestik Door Jam Mount, HD Spring, 2Ft Firestik
Dunlop Fierce Attitude M/T
rescue575 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.