LED headlights conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > LED headlights conversion

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 08-10-2014, 02:53 PM   #1
Masaga91
2009 KK Liberty 

LED headlights conversion

So in the store where I was asking about the led bar i found out that they have also have leds for the headlighs, so my question is

has anyone ever done this to a KK?
does it improve visibility at night?
if I change the headlights do i have to also change the fog lights??

Masaga91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2014, 03:04 PM   #2
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

Do you have a link?
Unread 08-10-2014, 03:43 PM   #3
taylorgrandorf
2008 KK Liberty 

Subscribed. I'm interested in the same thing. I have LED fogs and white led running lights with my signals so my halogen mains look out of place. And before anyone asks, LED's are designed with the Halogen reflector in mind, and have a crisp cut line so they don't blind other drivers.
taylorgrandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2014, 05:58 PM   #4
Masaga91
2009 KK Liberty 

The ones there offering me are these ones
plasmaglow-igniters-led-headlight-bulb-conversion-kit-comes-___.jpg

Unread 08-10-2014, 06:00 PM   #5
Masaga91
2009 KK Liberty 

Now, do they fit the headlight unit without a problem?? And what is the crisp cut line ??
Unread 08-11-2014, 04:50 AM   #6
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

The led replacements I was looking at seemed pretty good. They were also designed for the halogen reflector. I would've already pulled the trigger on it except they provide no heat, ice would build up on the lens in the winter. I will get them but not for awhile. I'll run them in the warmer months and switch back for the cold ones.
Unread 08-11-2014, 06:04 AM   #7
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

The link to the one I'm considering is in this thread.
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB...p?f=88&t=79182
Unread 08-11-2014, 03:18 PM   #8
Masaga91
2009 KK Liberty 

Thankfully in my country there is no snow so I can use them all year, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the led replacements and see how it goes
Unread 08-12-2014, 10:58 AM   #9
taylorgrandorf
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masaga91 View Post
Now, do they fit the headlight unit without a problem?? And what is the crisp cut line ??
Basically it means that the reflectors will prevent too much light from travelling up into other driver's eyes, which is why people hate HID kits.
Unread 08-12-2014, 12:15 PM   #10
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

AFAIK no LED headlights work properly in Halogen lenses.

I can't say it any better than the candlepower guys so Ill borrow a quote:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...LED-headlights
Quote:
Safety, legality, liability, and responsibility.

Shine a flashlight at your garage door next to your car headlamp beams. You'll notice that there is a definite shape to the car headlight's beam. These blobs and shadows light the shoulder, the road near your car, the middle distance, the far distance, and overhead highway signs, without blinding many drivers. Your flashlight would give a broad wash of light, either not lighting the road nearby or failing to reach far away, blinding all the drivers, and over- or under-lighting the shoulder.

Vehicle lighting is a safety device - For you to be seen, for you to see with, and for you to NOT blind others with. There are definite laws and requirements in all civilized countries. Vehicle makers (Lexus, Toyota) do a lot of testing to make sure their lights are safe. At least $20,000 in testing (Photometric study, weathering&aging, durability & electrical) is done on every headlamp design. The photometric tests are valid for one car, one type of lamp cover (The clear bubble over projector-type lenses), and one mounting location. Changing any of these invalidates the testing and means YOU are taking into YOUR hands a guarantee that your lights are at least pretty likely to not cause excessive glare, fail suddenly, or fail to light the road well. Lots of studies show that drivers' opinions of their headlights are often opposite real performance. Bright light nearby is comforting and detrimental to driving reaction distance.

If a shady part-seller is lying to you about these things, you can be assured they won't show up when you get tickets, fines, or insurance liability for tampering with vehicle safety equipment.

Buy good OEM headlamps. Use clean lenses.
No mention of DOT legality...
http://www.plasmaglow.com/led-ignite...onversion-kit/
Black WK Club #152
luckyse7ens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2014, 08:07 PM   #11
LibertyRS
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masaga91
So in the store where I was asking about the led bar i found out that they have also have leds for the headlighs, so my question is

has anyone ever done this to a KK?
does it improve visibility at night?
if I change the headlights do i have to also change the fog lights??
Retrofit projectors..most cost efficient for improving lighting 0_o
LibertyRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2014, 11:32 PM   #12
taylorgrandorf
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyRS View Post
Retrofit projectors..most cost efficient for improving lighting 0_o
I'll admit, yours look amazing. But I simply don't have the time or a steady enough hand to be willing to take a dremel to my lights. These LEDs seem like a good reliable replacement for Halogen that won't cause unsafe conditions for other drivers. But, I would need to see pics of them installed in a Liberty before I can decide.
Unread 08-13-2014, 12:58 PM   #13
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

If you want better headlights contact kolak on the forums here for a relay and go with good halogens
http://store.candlepower.com/bfcopoh1390p.html

Or talk to daniel stern: http://danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html
Black WK Club #152
luckyse7ens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2014, 04:29 PM   #14
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

So, basically what this guy is saying is that ANY variation from the stock bulb is unsafe and illegal, correct? If that's the case then the Hella higher wattage bulbs are no good either, even though they are also halogen bulbs. I'm prepping the BS flag. Just because it isn't certified doesn't mean it won't work. HID lights have a different geometry, the plasma arches as it burns throwing the light off center in a halogen reflector. The LEDs are centered with the low beam using half and high beam coming on with it completing it. The light is still generating from the center. I would have to see for myself where this would be an actual safety concern with the low beams on.
Unread 08-13-2014, 08:11 PM   #15
badhare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted15 View Post
The led replacements I was looking at seemed pretty good. They were also designed for the halogen reflector. I would've already pulled the trigger on it except they provide no heat, ice would build up on the lens in the winter. I will get them but not for awhile. I'll run them in the warmer months and switch back for the cold ones.
Maybe its just me, but the trouble of switching back and forth just sounds like its not worth the hassle. I'd just get a nice LED bar, maybe 2. btw, love that blue color on your jeep.
badhare is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.