LED Exterior Bulbs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > LED Exterior Bulbs

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 07-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
98ZJ SFD
2012 KK Liberty 

LED Exterior Bulbs

I tried searching but couldn't find anything specific to my question. Has anyone done a full LED conversion to the exterior bulbs of a KK? I'm looking to so the STT lights as well as indicators up front. I'd like to do my reverse lights as well. Any issues with hyper flashing or will I need resistors? I had LED bulbs for my license plate in my other car but they burnt out quickly with exposure to weather.

Previous
98 ZJ Laredo SE 4.0, 2" Skyjacker BB, JKS Quicker Discos, Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs, K&N FIPK, Kolak cat & back exhaust, Westin Safari bar, KC lights
98ZJ SFD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
taylorgrandorf
2008 KK Liberty 

I currently have LED fog lights, license plate bulbs and switchbacks in my turn signals. I have resistors with the switchbacks but none of the others. The switchbacks are white with parking and then turn yellow for the signals. Looks really nice at night.
taylorgrandorf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2013, 04:08 PM   #3
98ZJ SFD
2012 KK Liberty 

I bet they do. Were the resistors hard to wire? And do they work for front and rear indicators when wired? And how do you like the fogs?

Edit- I also meant to ask if our KKs are CANbus vehicles? And are the light plugs wired for CK?

Previous
98 ZJ Laredo SE 4.0, 2" Skyjacker BB, JKS Quicker Discos, Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs, K&N FIPK, Kolak cat & back exhaust, Westin Safari bar, KC lights
Unread 07-12-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
taylorgrandorf
2008 KK Liberty 

We do have CAN-Bus vehicles, yes. The resistors are per-bulb, so you need more than one. My fogs and license plate bulbs have them built in, but I had to install them for the switchbacks. They were fairly easy to install, but the space behind the fender covers is fairly tight, so with my gigantic hands it was a bit of a hassle.

As far as CK you'll have to elaborate on what that is for me
Unread 07-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #5
98ZJ SFD
2012 KK Liberty 

Good to know, thanks. Do you like the output of the LED fogs? Is it a fairly spread light pattern or is it focused? I'm worried about blinding oncoming traffic.

The CK socket I was referring to is what I saw on superbrightleds.com. They seem to be an option for almost each bulb type and I've never heard of that before.

Previous
Unread 07-12-2013, 09:16 PM   #6
musclezmarinara
2012 KK Liberty 

I have cree led in my reverse lights, and plate lamp, I'd love to try to do a projector retro fit in my head lamps
Unread 07-12-2013, 09:37 PM   #7
LibertyRS
2012 KK Liberty 

I did my whole taillight in LEDs I needed to get a resistor as well, with out it it does the hyper flash. I replaced all my interior lights with LEDs but didn't feel like wiring resistors into each socket so they only turn on when the battery is on (first or second ignition)

I bought all LEDs from suprbrightleds

If you're doing a retro my suggestion is to buy a second set of lights I case something happens and you're without taillights
LibertyRS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 06:30 AM   #8
98ZJ SFD
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyRS
I replaced all my interior lights with LEDs but didn't feel like wiring resistors into each socket so they only turn on when the battery is on (first or second ignition)
What do you mean by that? The interior would need resistors too? I did a full LED interior conversion on my '09 Fusion and everything worked the same as when I had incandescent bulbs.

Previous
Unread 07-13-2013, 08:33 AM   #9
LibertyRS
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98ZJ SFD

What do you mean by that? The interior would need resistors too? I did a full LED interior conversion on my '09 Fusion and everything worked the same as when I had incandescent bulbs.
The difference in the amount of electricity would cause them not to stay on if the car wasn't on.

Maybe it's the bulbs I got or the company of the LEDs but they don't work unless the car is on
LibertyRS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 08:37 AM   #10
98ZJ SFD
2012 KK Liberty 

That's pretty interesting. Maybe I'll stay away from doing the interior, too.

Previous
Unread 07-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #11
taylorgrandorf
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98ZJ SFD View Post
Good to know, thanks. Do you like the output of the LED fogs? Is it a fairly spread light pattern or is it focused? I'm worried about blinding oncoming traffic.

The CK socket I was referring to is what I saw on superbrightleds.com. They seem to be an option for almost each bulb type and I've never heard of that before.
Mine are called Plasma LEDs, they spread using the stock reflector, but also have and LED behind a projector lens at the front. That one isn't bright enough to blind anyone I don't think.

For the interior, you can buy CAN-bus compatible lamps which sometimes have the resistor built in, as my license plate bulbs do.
Unread 07-15-2013, 08:40 AM   #12
redncfootball
2010 KK Liberty 

Just curious how this looks. Does anyone have any pics?
redncfootball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #13
taylorgrandorf
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redncfootball View Post
Just curious how this looks. Does anyone have any pics?
Sure. I only have a picture looking at the front, not of the light distribution.

Headlights are Sylvania Ultrastars, Fogs are Plasma LED and the turn signals are Switchbacks from Marco's Precision on Ebay
picture1.jpg

picture2.jpg

Unread 07-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #14
98ZJ SFD
2012 KK Liberty 

I just ordered LED tail lights and reverse lights so I'll put up pictures once they're installed. I'm waiting on the turn signals for now but will change them soon, along with the license plate lights.

Previous
Unread 07-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #15
musclezmarinara
2012 KK Liberty 

I have

To post mine up

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.