JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   KK Liberty Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/)
-   -   LED Exterior Bulbs (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/led-exterior-bulbs-1548096/)

98ZJ SFD 07-12-2013 02:11 PM

LED Exterior Bulbs

I tried searching but couldn't find anything specific to my question. Has anyone done a full LED conversion to the exterior bulbs of a KK? I'm looking to so the STT lights as well as indicators up front. I'd like to do my reverse lights as well. Any issues with hyper flashing or will I need resistors? I had LED bulbs for my license plate in my other car but they burnt out quickly with exposure to weather.

taylorgrandorf 07-12-2013 02:22 PM

I currently have LED fog lights, license plate bulbs and switchbacks in my turn signals. I have resistors with the switchbacks but none of the others. The switchbacks are white with parking and then turn yellow for the signals. Looks really nice at night.

98ZJ SFD 07-12-2013 04:08 PM

I bet they do. Were the resistors hard to wire? And do they work for front and rear indicators when wired? And how do you like the fogs?

Edit- I also meant to ask if our KKs are CANbus vehicles? And are the light plugs wired for CK?

taylorgrandorf 07-12-2013 09:05 PM

We do have CAN-Bus vehicles, yes. The resistors are per-bulb, so you need more than one. My fogs and license plate bulbs have them built in, but I had to install them for the switchbacks. They were fairly easy to install, but the space behind the fender covers is fairly tight, so with my gigantic hands it was a bit of a hassle.

As far as CK you'll have to elaborate on what that is for me :laugh:

98ZJ SFD 07-12-2013 09:12 PM

Good to know, thanks. Do you like the output of the LED fogs? Is it a fairly spread light pattern or is it focused? I'm worried about blinding oncoming traffic.

The CK socket I was referring to is what I saw on superbrightleds.com. They seem to be an option for almost each bulb type and I've never heard of that before.

musclezmarinara 07-12-2013 09:16 PM

I have cree led in my reverse lights, and plate lamp, I'd love to try to do a projector retro fit in my head lamps

LibertyRS 07-12-2013 09:37 PM

I did my whole taillight in LEDs I needed to get a resistor as well, with out it it does the hyper flash. I replaced all my interior lights with LEDs but didn't feel like wiring resistors into each socket so they only turn on when the battery is on (first or second ignition)

I bought all LEDs from suprbrightleds

If you're doing a retro my suggestion is to buy a second set of lights I case something happens and you're without taillights

98ZJ SFD 07-13-2013 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LibertyRS
I replaced all my interior lights with LEDs but didn't feel like wiring resistors into each socket so they only turn on when the battery is on (first or second ignition)

What do you mean by that? The interior would need resistors too? I did a full LED interior conversion on my '09 Fusion and everything worked the same as when I had incandescent bulbs.

LibertyRS 07-13-2013 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 98ZJ SFD

What do you mean by that? The interior would need resistors too? I did a full LED interior conversion on my '09 Fusion and everything worked the same as when I had incandescent bulbs.

The difference in the amount of electricity would cause them not to stay on if the car wasn't on.

Maybe it's the bulbs I got or the company of the LEDs but they don't work unless the car is on

98ZJ SFD 07-13-2013 08:37 AM

That's pretty interesting. Maybe I'll stay away from doing the interior, too.

taylorgrandorf 07-13-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 98ZJ SFD (Post 15670959)
Good to know, thanks. Do you like the output of the LED fogs? Is it a fairly spread light pattern or is it focused? I'm worried about blinding oncoming traffic.

The CK socket I was referring to is what I saw on superbrightleds.com. They seem to be an option for almost each bulb type and I've never heard of that before.

Mine are called Plasma LEDs, they spread using the stock reflector, but also have and LED behind a projector lens at the front. That one isn't bright enough to blind anyone I don't think.

For the interior, you can buy CAN-bus compatible lamps which sometimes have the resistor built in, as my license plate bulbs do.

redncfootball 07-15-2013 08:40 AM

Just curious how this looks. Does anyone have any pics?

taylorgrandorf 07-15-2013 11:31 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by redncfootball (Post 15678105)
Just curious how this looks. Does anyone have any pics?

Sure. I only have a picture looking at the front, not of the light distribution.

Headlights are Sylvania Ultrastars, Fogs are Plasma LED and the turn signals are Switchbacks from Marco's Precision on Ebay

98ZJ SFD 07-18-2013 11:02 AM

I just ordered LED tail lights and reverse lights so I'll put up pictures once they're installed. I'm waiting on the turn signals for now but will change them soon, along with the license plate lights.

musclezmarinara 07-18-2013 11:24 AM

I have

To post mine up :)

The time now is 01:39 PM.