knocking noise left front tire - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > knocking noise left front tire

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 03-27-2014, 12:16 PM   #1
Reskar
2010 KK Liberty 

knocking noise left front tire

Hi all,

Whenever I go over a bump or dip with the left front tire i get a knocking noise that eventually peters out. Worse the bump louder and longer it takes to go away. Any ideas what I'm dealing with. These seems to be new after tire rotation and some wheeling.

Reskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 02:50 PM   #2
evans956

Same problem here. Usually vibrates for a few seconds and then goes away. Only started doing this when cold out
evans956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 03:22 PM   #3
josworth
2010 KK Liberty 

Could be anything from loose lug nuts to bad ball joints and everything in between. You need to be more descriptive of exactly when it happens.

Do things like apply brakes to see if it changes. Go around turns, over bumps when turning, basically as many different scenarios you can think of.

And check the obvious like making sure when you grab a wheel it isn't moving from side to side. Check that everything is tight.

Again, be as descriptive as possible. Us on the web can't be in the car with you so it makes helping to troubleshoot stuff like that really hard.
josworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 05:28 PM   #4
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

How many miles are on the vehicle helps as well , you may have 10,000 or 100,000. Could be as simple as the shocks are worn out and its bouncing off the bump stop's for example
Lifted or unlifted if lifted which lift
The more information you can give us the better answers we can give you
Unread 03-27-2014, 05:35 PM   #5
evans956

Mine is 95000 miles and only does it when I first start driving the car and feels like a loose strut but then sounds like a wobble. Only in the left side and there are some vibrations. This only happens between 1-25 mph and only when I start driving the jeep
Unread 03-27-2014, 08:06 PM   #6
Reskar
2010 KK Liberty 

60000 on the truck 5000 on the ome lift. Doesn't happen all the time the only time it does happen is when I hit a bump or depression in the road I'll check the lug nuts tomorrow and try some turning stuff but it's only happens in a straight line that I've noticed
Unread 03-28-2014, 03:39 AM   #7
josworth
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by evans956 View Post
Mine is 95000 miles and only does it when I first start driving the car and feels like a loose strut but then sounds like a wobble. Only in the left side and there are some vibrations. This only happens between 1-25 mph and only when I start driving the jeep
Have you checked things with it jacked up? You really need to look and check stuff. See some simple tests below. So it only happens when you first drive it? It stops after driving a little bit? If so, it could just be your tires. Some tires exhibit vibrations when cold that dissipates as they warm up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reskar View Post
60000 on the truck 5000 on the ome lift. Doesn't happen all the time the only time it does happen is when I hit a bump or depression in the road I'll check the lug nuts tomorrow and try some turning stuff but it's only happens in a straight line that I've noticed
What is odd is that you say it started just after a tire rotation. I would be worried they didn't remount the tires correctly. If they did it wrong enough to cause a clunk I would be nervous....

I don't know enough about lifts to offer advise on what to check if a component of that is the culprit. But here is some basic tests anyone can do to help diagnose suspension issues.

Jack up a side so the wheel is hanging free. Grab the wheel and spin it. Does it spin like it should? Any strange grinding noises? Then grab the wheel at 3 and 9 o-clock. Try to move it from side to side. Any play? If so, look at tie rod ends. Now grab the wheel at 12 and 6 o-clock. Try again to move it. If there is play at that axis, look at either the upper or lower ball joints.

The next thing I would do is pull the wheel. Get a flash light and towel and systematically check each bushing for any signs of cracks. Even little cracks can cause creaks or clunks as a result of play in the bushing. Last but not least, if you have yet to find anything amiss grab a 18mm and 21mm wrench and start checking all the bolts for anything that may have started to loosen. If you can turn any with moderate force, they are loose and need to be re-torqued.

I'm really very new at the KK but I came from a LX, a 07 300C to be exact, and those are notorious for having suspension issues. I was able to sort mine out so good that with 87k on it, it drove like a new car. Smooth, quiet, and tight. I just did shocks all around on my KK and to be honest it is a pretty simple and straight forward set up and you should be able to figure it out with a little digging.
Unread 03-31-2014, 12:55 PM   #8
evans956

I believe mine is the front pass anger strut. I pushed the front bumper up and down for a few seconds and could hear a loud popping noise as it went down. Also it bounced far too much for what I would think is normal. Thinking about replacing with the Monroe complete kit to keep it stock height and to fix the sagging
Unread 04-01-2014, 10:50 AM   #9
Reskar
2010 KK Liberty 

So more info, It only happens if i hit a bump or something going 45miles/hour+ or if i'm accelerating hard in a turn. I took it hard wheeling a fews days ago and didn't notice it at all. Checked my wheels and they are all tight enough.
Unread 04-01-2014, 12:50 PM   #10
josworth
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reskar View Post
So more info, It only happens if i hit a bump or something going 45miles/hour+ or if i'm accelerating hard in a turn. I took it hard wheeling a fews days ago and didn't notice it at all. Checked my wheels and they are all tight enough.
The next step is to get it jacked up and start digging into the suspension with all of the checks listed above.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.