KL vs. KK ! ! ! - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > KL vs. KK ! ! !

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 11-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #46
bwsooner6
2008 KK Liberty 

Stopping Liberty production and focusing on Patriots and Compass to fill its void was a big enough sign of Jeeps future for me

"if it's on the internet, it must be true" ~ Abraham Lincoln

At The Helm Roof Rack & Front Recovery System
bwsooner6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #47
brunolambert
2008 KK Liberty 

Wondering if people had the same conversation when the KJ came out, or the XJ...
Unread 11-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #48
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

I'm sure..

I had to hear it when I had my MK.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
LKWJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #49
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunolambert View Post
Wondering if people had the same conversation when the KJ came out, or the XJ...
I'm old enough to remember when the YJs came out, Jeep ruined the brand with square headlights etc the oldtimers stated,
Then when the XJ came out OH MY GAWD square headlights and unibody, it was a soccer mom car before the word was invented. Everyone said it would fold in half, never would sell etc, ( now we have people who think they are the best 4 wheeler ever)
Oh and oh my....... coil springs on all 4 corners on the new Wranglers (TJs) they will never hold up or last, bring back leaf springs or Jeep will go bankrupt
and the list goes on and on
People like to moan and complain and ***** about things changing then in a year or two you see them driving exactly what they *****ed about and are out saying its the best thing ever. Anymore one of the issues is the Internet, back in the 1970s we just sat around the woodstove in the shop with 3 or 4 guys complaining, now you have so many more listening and joining in

Remember Jeeps are built not bought
Unread 11-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #50
carlosburitica
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post

Remember Jeeps are built not bought
like that.............
carlosburitica is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #51
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

But a decent foundation is required to build upon
Unread 11-10-2013, 05:06 PM   #52
rvjon

They just don't make them anymore that you can modify them like we used to do. My two FJ-55 Toyotas,'70 had for 16 years and well over 250K miles and the '76 with another 150K miles, both had white spokes with wide tires,well at least for those days,after market exhaust,carb and distributors from Man-a-fre and a Warn 8K winch that I was able to move from one to the other at the changeover. Reaso for the changeover was that #2 son rolled the first and even tho it was totalled,he drove it 18 miles home from the woods. The first also did the Rubicon in '75 pretty much stock.I was just getting ready to do a bunch of things to upgrade my '94 Cherokee sport,but traded it in on a '96 Yukon as I needed a larger vehicle to tow my 14' pop-up trailer. I still did some serious off roading in the Cherokee though. I really don't feel comfortable in taking my '11 Liberty off road and, except for a Wrangler, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it with anything else new with 4x4.
rvjon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #53
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
I'm old enough to remember when the YJs came out, Jeep ruined the brand with square headlights etc the oldtimers stated,
Then when the XJ came out OH MY GAWD square headlights and unibody, it was a soccer mom car before the word was invented. Everyone said it would fold in half, never would sell etc, ( now we have people who think they are the best 4 wheeler ever)
Oh and oh my....... coil springs on all 4 corners on the new Wranglers (TJs) they will never hold up or last, bring back leaf springs or Jeep will go bankrupt
and the list goes on and on
People like to moan and complain and ***** about things changing then in a year or two you see them driving exactly what they *****ed about and are out saying its the best thing ever.

That's it in a nutshell, right there.

I'm hoping we get a KL to test out at our desert proving grounds. Thrash it, see how it holds up, and add it to the crush pile
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2013, 10:34 AM   #54
marlon_jbt
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvjon View Post
They just don't make them anymore that you can modify them like we used to do.
This too.
Unread 11-15-2013, 10:52 AM   #55
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted15 View Post
But a decent foundation is required to build upon
Just need more creativity in our thinking
I mean we stuck a 396 in the back seat of a Corvair back in 1975.
Dodge vans on 38s and 40s were not common back when we were building them but we did and they did great.
I can see a 2 inch or so lift on one with some creative trimming around the lower edges.
First 2-3 years everyone was saying you couldn't lift a KJ anymore than 2 inches or they would explode ten different ways. Then we started pushing it more and more and experimenting on other ways and now look where we are with them.
So just have to look farther outside of the box in what maybe possible .
I can see one with a LJ frame and running gear under it
Unread 11-15-2013, 11:09 AM   #56
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

Just went and looked at the KLs and they didn't look all that great. I will say the trailhawk is badass. That would be the only one I'd buy.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
LKWJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2013, 12:57 PM   #57
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd

Just need more creativity in our thinking
I mean we stuck a 396 in the back seat of a Corvair back in 1975.
Dodge vans on 38s and 40s were not common back when we were building them but we did and they did great.
I can see a 2 inch or so lift on one with some creative trimming around the lower edges.
First 2-3 years everyone was saying you couldn't lift a KJ anymore than 2 inches or they would explode ten different ways. Then we started pushing it more and more and experimenting on other ways and now look where we are with them.
So just have to look farther outside of the box in what maybe possible .
I can see one with a LJ frame and running gear under it
You're right but the KJ and KK are still rear wheel drive light trucks with transfer cases and front axles. They may be IFS but so is everything else. The KL is a car, it's class is CUV not SUV. I've seen an AWD astro van do more than I would've ever imagined (grumpy) but I just can't see a front wheel drive vehicle being able to do much more than gravel roads. Plus, that rear drive shaft has to be pretty long which just takes away from the vehicle. There are CV axles out now that are stronger than a lot of solid ones and allow a lot more flex than almost all of the others out ($2000 per pair). I guess I just need to be convinced that this is the right direction to go. It seems like it's just a Kia with a Jeep nameplate and less capable than a Razor.
Unread 11-15-2013, 01:23 PM   #58
marlon_jbt
2010 KK Liberty 

Ted, the KL can do the Rubicon in stock form. Moab too. And everything else. Is that not enough?
Unread 11-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #59
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlon_jbt
Ted, the KL can do the Rubicon in stock form. Moab too. And everything else. Is that not enough?
This is true, it is a competent soft roader but the videos Jeep has shown of the "trail hawk" were all Hells Revenge. A trail I've seen a Toyota Rav4 and Subaru Imprezza wagon traverse....so its really not that far ahead of the competition now is it?
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #60
carlosburitica
2010 KK Liberty 

sometimes i think the problem is not the capability. it the lack of interest on aftermarket companies to produce out of the shelf bolt on parts.
obviously if there is no demand for a product why to manufacture it...... and that is why we are limited with our kk and and people will be even more with a kl.

i think we complaint to much....
how many have a full lift???
how many have actual offroad tires???
how many have lockers???
how many tried custom fabrications???

all of this mods are available for the kk and sure only 5% or less have them, at least i know only few members went with lockers, only a few re-geared,
so we can not ask more for the kk if there is no demand..... and probably a kk of kl with 2" lift, mud tires and twin lockers can take you were most won't.

so maybe is not that the kk or kl are no capable... it that the owners are not capable of putting the $$$ and time to build a real off road vehicle.
carlosburitica is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.