KL vs. KK ! ! ! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > KL vs. KK ! ! !

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Reply
Unread 11-05-2013, 04:36 PM   #31
Ted15
Senior Member
 
Ted15's Avatar
2010 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherox
I took the plunge on my 12 KK because of the new Cherokee. I don't think its horrible, just not for me.

I must admit it looks way better in person, and has an impressive number of features. I wonder how it will sell in today's market. Probably pretty good.

My two questions I am pondering are when will they bring back the iconic boxy shape, if ever?
(Jeep kills boxy XJ only to come out with Commander, Patriot, and KK just a few years later)

When the compass/patriot and all new B subcompact Jeep come out, will the design be as polarizing as the KL?
The liberty was supposed to replace/update the Cherokee but they screwed the pooch with the front axle. Nobody liked it so the guys with old Cherokees kept them running instead of replacing them. The loss of the straight six was another factor I think.

__________________
2010 Liberty KK Sport, deep water blue, weathertech in channel vent visors, weathertech digital floor mats, Detoures backbone winch mount w/smittybilt XRC 10 comp winch, rigid industries dually led lights on smittybilt fairhead mount, Rocklizard skink supersliders and Gecko safari rack, cobra cb w/48" firestick antenna, general grabber at2 245/75-16, OME heavy duty springs, OME shocks, about 3" - 3 1/2" of lift, Detoures Knucklebone spare tire and Jerry can mount, mopar skids, class 3 hitch w/7 pin wire harness, headlight covers, 4.10's and Detroit TruTracs F&R
Ted15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #32
marlon_jbt
Registered User
2010 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 1,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted15 View Post
The liberty was supposed to replace/update the Cherokee but they screwed the pooch with the front axle. Nobody liked it so the guys with old Cherokees kept them running instead of replacing them. The loss of the straight six was another factor I think.
Liberty was supposed to complement Cherokee, not replace it. That's why a new assembly plant was built for it. Only later did they kill the Cherokee.

I love the Trailhawk.

Hate the others.
__________________
Red Jeep Club member # 264
marlon_jbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 03:39 AM   #33
Ted15
Senior Member
 
Ted15's Avatar
2010 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlon_jbt

Liberty was supposed to complement Cherokee, not replace it. That's why a new assembly plant was built for it. Only later did they kill the Cherokee.

I love the Trailhawk.

Hate the others.
Hey bud, welcome back. Haven't heard from you in awhile.

I'm pretty sure it was a model change like going from TJ to JK. They kept the Cherokee name in other countries but changed it to Liberty here. I also think they planned to move the production to the new plant from the beginning.
__________________
2010 Liberty KK Sport, deep water blue, weathertech in channel vent visors, weathertech digital floor mats, Detoures backbone winch mount w/smittybilt XRC 10 comp winch, rigid industries dually led lights on smittybilt fairhead mount, Rocklizard skink supersliders and Gecko safari rack, cobra cb w/48" firestick antenna, general grabber at2 245/75-16, OME heavy duty springs, OME shocks, about 3" - 3 1/2" of lift, Detoures Knucklebone spare tire and Jerry can mount, mopar skids, class 3 hitch w/7 pin wire harness, headlight covers, 4.10's and Detroit TruTracs F&R
Ted15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 02:26 AM   #34
JoeTDI
Registered User
2012 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Neversink, NY
Posts: 85
The KL front looks, meh OK... rear looks bad IMO.... Fuel mileage is the main reason for the shape and it pretty much being FWD, with the rears kicking in when needed....I'm sure that 270hp V6 is rockin, but at the end of the day it is just too small for my needs....not a sufficient replacement for the KK.... maybe a good replacement for the Patriot or Compass..... I was considering it, but after reading up on it a lot, decided against it, trading in my 2006 KJ for the 2012 KK... It's a Jeep, looks like a Jeep, has the real 4x4, is trail rated, even at the lowest trim level... I couldn't see spending $30K+ for a trail rated KL, when I got my Libby for over $13K less, slightly used of course...
__________________
Current:12 KK-12 MK-99 TJ 4.0 5spd w/Fisher Plow
Past: 65 CJ5-85 XJ-95 ZJ-02 KJ-06 KJ
JoeTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 04:58 AM   #35
Stang977
Member
2012 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: White Plains, NY
Posts: 208
I'll never change my "Kill it" vote.

That being said, Jeep hid some cool throwback details around the Cherokee. The 2014 owners are calling them "Easter Eggs" The dash silhouette is a nice touch.

Have a look:
http://jeepcherokeeclub.com/4-2014-j...ster-eggs.html

(All I've found hidden in my KK is old M&M's!)
__________________
Me- 2012 KK, Latitude, Mineral Grey, "Cherokee" Moulding,
JBA Tommudd 3 1/2" Econolift
265/70R16 Nitto Terra's
Fuel Revolver 16X8

Her- 2011 WK2 Laredo X, Brilliant Black
Stang977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 06:37 AM   #36
rebelbowtie
Frameless and Shameless
 
rebelbowtie's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Daphne, AL
Posts: 2,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlon_jbt

Liberty was supposed to complement Cherokee, not replace it. That's why a new assembly plant was built for it. Only later did they kill the Cherokee.

I love the Trailhawk.

Hate the others.
Liberty doesn't exist anywhere else in the world beside North America. It did in fact replace the XJ Cherokee because it was the KJ Cherokee. It's a constant evolution of the Cherokee, just like the KL is an evolution of the Cherokee. They're taking the brand where it needs to go in terms of the general public.
__________________
He's an angel dressed in oilskins; he's a saint in the "Sou'wester,"
He's a pluck as they come, or ever can;
He's a hero born and bred, but it hasn't swelled his head,
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 07:00 AM   #37
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado
Posts: 2,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelbowtie View Post
Liberty doesn't exist anywhere else in the world beside North America. It did in fact replace the XJ Cherokee because it was the KJ Cherokee. It's a constant evolution of the Cherokee, just like the KL is an evolution of the Cherokee. They're taking the brand where it needs to go in terms of the general public.
Not entirely correct. Overseas the same chassis was sold as a "Cherokee".
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 07:15 AM   #38
rebelbowtie
Frameless and Shameless
 
rebelbowtie's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Daphne, AL
Posts: 2,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok

Not entirely correct. Overseas the same chassis was sold as a "Cherokee".
It is entirely true, just because the XJ continued production over seas as the Cherokee Classic or the Chinese Jeep 2500 doesn't change the fact that the KJ was a direct replacement and evolution of the Cherokee.

GM still produced GMT400 trucks outside of the US market does that mean that the GMT800 trucks weren't a direct replacement? Heck for a short time they even sold both chassis side by side in the US.
__________________
He's an angel dressed in oilskins; he's a saint in the "Sou'wester,"
He's a pluck as they come, or ever can;
He's a hero born and bred, but it hasn't swelled his head,
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #39
Gageraid
Registered User
2008 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Branchburg, New Jersey
Posts: 1,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang977 View Post
I'll never change my "Kill it" vote.

That being said, Jeep hid some cool throwback details around the Cherokee. The 2014 owners are calling them "Easter Eggs" The dash silhouette is a nice touch.

Have a look:
http://jeepcherokeeclub.com/4-2014-j...ster-eggs.html

(All I've found hidden in my KK is old M&M's!)
That's a nice little touch. The ones on the new JK are cooler, though.
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #40
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado
Posts: 2,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelbowtie View Post
It is entirely true, just because the XJ continued production over seas as the Cherokee Classic or the Chinese Jeep 2500 doesn't change the fact that the KJ was a direct replacement and evolution of the Cherokee.

GM still produced GMT400 trucks outside of the US market does that mean that the GMT800 trucks weren't a direct replacement? Heck for a short time they even sold both chassis side by side in the US.
You may want to do a little more research. The Liberty overseas is called the Cherokee. Just because it is called a Cherokee does not automatically mean it is an XJ. Do some light reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Liberty
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #41
rebelbowtie
Frameless and Shameless
 
rebelbowtie's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Daphne, AL
Posts: 2,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok

You may want to do a little more research. The Liberty overseas is called the Cherokee. Just because it is called a Cherokee does not automatically mean it is an XJ. Do some light reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Liberty
Just do some regular read because I never said the KJ was an XJ, it was an evolution was the Cherokee. Would you say that the KK isn't an evolution of the KJ because the chassis nomenclature changed?
__________________
He's an angel dressed in oilskins; he's a saint in the "Sou'wester,"
He's a pluck as they come, or ever can;
He's a hero born and bred, but it hasn't swelled his head,
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 05:25 PM   #42
rvjon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: bremerton, wa
Posts: 20
I had a '94 Cherokee sport and really liked it. Almost as much as my '70 Landcrusher FJ-55. I put a lot of miles on it in 4 years,both on and off road,stock. I had an '04 Trailblazer,POS, that I traded in on my '11 Liberty,but I'll tell you that I really looked for a low mileage Cherokee, but couldn't find anything that was worth buying that hadn't been modified. I'll betcha if they brought it out again,it'd sell like hotcakes. Even it got better gas mileage than my Liberty,19-23 avg on a 90 mile r/t daily commute.
rvjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2013, 07:12 AM   #43
carlosburitica
Registered User
2010 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: fort lauderdale, FLORIDA
Posts: 168
i was talking with one of the expositors on the miami auto show that is going on right now and according to him, the future of jeep is going on a different path, basically the only extreme offroad capable vehicle in their line is the wrangler and is it. all the other car in their inventory line will be influenced by the crossover European market, yet offroad capable offering 4x4 models, intelligent transmissions and futuristic looks.

i have people calling my kk. not a real jeep many times, and believe me coming from an xj that i had for 8 years, that is partially true. the kk has many limitations and sure the kl will have more. we basically need to realize that models other than wrangers are just going to be a street cars with a little offroad capabilities, anyways i am sure that 90% of the people that have a kk, or get a kl. don't ussually offroad their cars, maybe a trail here and there, a mud path and that is it. and i think for those aplications thet are more than capable

ther was a time that people complainde about the grand cherokees and cherokkes and sure there are modified Cherokees that can go were others can't and here i come with the same thing. he have a big limitation in oir kks.. and is that front suspension, the amount of electronics, traction and stability controls that limit what we can do with a stock kk. sure we can put money and fix those problems..........but nnnnooooooooooo....... they will never be as capable as the previous jeep models and the new once to come will be even worst...........

some get a car for the looks

i learned to live with my kk and know its limitations allready. like it but don't love it.
carlosburitica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #44
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........
 
JeepN4KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Blue Springs, MO
Posts: 5,471
^^^ I'd say the direction of Jeep is rather obvious. IMO it doesn't take a rep at an auto show for that to be clear.

I still say, and have been for a while, I could see the Wrangler becoming its own brand just like they did with Ram trucks.
__________________
~Mike~

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #45
Ted15
Senior Member
 
Ted15's Avatar
2010 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 514
It's likely they'll ruin the brand with ifs. Hopefully not but they are considering it from what I've read recently. On the plus side, at least for us, it may bring a little more aftermarket support for us, maybe.
They should just rebrand all of the CUV's dodge and be done with it.
__________________
2010 Liberty KK Sport, deep water blue, weathertech in channel vent visors, weathertech digital floor mats, Detoures backbone winch mount w/smittybilt XRC 10 comp winch, rigid industries dually led lights on smittybilt fairhead mount, Rocklizard skink supersliders and Gecko safari rack, cobra cb w/48" firestick antenna, general grabber at2 245/75-16, OME heavy duty springs, OME shocks, about 3" - 3 1/2" of lift, Detoures Knucklebone spare tire and Jerry can mount, mopar skids, class 3 hitch w/7 pin wire harness, headlight covers, 4.10's and Detroit TruTracs F&R
Ted15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.