KK Struts worn out @6000 miles ! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > KK Struts worn out @6000 miles !

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 09-02-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
Katmandu
2013 JK Wrangler 

KK Struts worn out @6000 miles !

Our 2012 KK only has 6,000 miles on it and the front struts are SHOT!

This KK was bought brand new with 50 miles on it and never off-roaded, beat up on or driven hard on irregular pavement. It's been driven on flat highway about 90% of the mileage.

We have had a high speed vibration coming out of the front end for the past 4,000 miles or so. I've replaced the OEM POS Goodyear Fortera's with Michelin MXV and still the vibration persists. I even had the replacement Michelins replaced (under Warranty) for a new set of Michelin ICE2's. Vibration still there.

Hard to believe that the struts are shot after 6,000 miles.

I was going to take it to the Dealership but figured they would do crap since struts are a wear item.

We're saving up for some Bilsteins.

Anyone else's struts go bad prematurely ?

Katmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #2
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

replace the springs as well or you'll be right back needing new front shocks again.
Unread 09-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #3
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmandu View Post

This KK was bought brand new with 50 miles on it and never off-roaded, beat up on or driven hard on irregular pavement. It's been driven on flat highway about 90% of the mileage.

We have had a high speed vibration coming out of the front end for the past 4,000 miles or so. I've replaced the OEM POS Goodyear Fortera's with Michelin MXV and still the vibration persists. I even had the replacement Michelins replaced (under Warranty) for a new set of Michelin ICE2's. Vibration still there.

I was going to take it to the Dealership but figured they would do crap since struts are a wear item.

And what makes you think it's the front shocks? Have you changed them to confirm they are bad? Many things can cause a high speed vib and the only thing you have seem to try is the tires.That is one of about 100 things that can cause your vib.
Unread 09-02-2013, 09:36 PM   #4
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Has the alignment ever been checked?

What kind of wheels are you running?
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 07:00 AM   #5
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmandu View Post

Not struts. Shocks
huntb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #6
RB145
2014 WK 

The Liberty has struts in the front and I really doubt this is the source of the problem. When do you get the vibration under what conditions?
RB145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 05:07 PM   #7
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB145 View Post
The Liberty has struts in the front and I really doubt this is the source of the problem. When do you get the vibration under what conditions?
Shocks not struts.

Struts takes place of the upper control arm and ball joint and has a intergrated bearing in the top plat so it can pivot since a strut directly bolts to the knuckle.The KK has a upper control arm with ball joint and uses coilover shocks.
Unread 09-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #8
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Hey Fellas,

A question: My Lib is approaching 60K, still have mighty Wrangler SRAs on it and stock rear shocks and springs. Took a peak underneath, lately my Lib is starting to feel like my grandfather's 74' Ford Grand Marquis lol. Not totally. Notice some oil on the outside of the shock. If you wouldn't mind taking a look and making an evaluation?

Thanks
driver-side-shock.jpg

Unread 09-03-2013, 09:07 PM   #9
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncherello View Post
Hey Fellas,

A question: My Lib is approaching 60K, still have mighty Wrangler SRAs on it and stock rear shocks and springs. Took a peak underneath, lately my Lib is starting to feel like my grandfather's 74' Ford Grand Marquis lol. Not totally. Notice some oil on the outside of the shock. If you wouldn't mind taking a look and making an evaluation?

Thanks
Leaking,time to replace.Always replace in pairs so replace both rear even if the otherside looks fine as it's not far behind from failing also.

It is industry standard to replace shocks(and if you have struts) every 50k where they look good or not.Shocks and struts effect so much more then just the ride,they also have a direct effect on how the brakes work.
Unread 09-03-2013, 10:06 PM   #10
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Thanks TjKJ,

Was afraid of that. I am not looking at lifting more than 2" just improving the ride stability and hoping to go further then 58K on the next set of springs and shocks.

I know Gageraid speaks highly about OME springs and Shocks perhaps upper control arms, any of you other guys deal with Jeepin By Al's? I was thinking of giving them a call and was wondering too if they do installs too? If not, would need to find someone else also and alignment place as well.
Unread 09-03-2013, 10:21 PM   #11
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Thanks TjKJ,

Was afraid of that. I am not looking at lifting more than 2" just improving the ride stability and hoping to go further then 58K on the next set of springs and shocks.

I know Gageraid speaks highly about OME springs and Shocks perhaps upper control arms, any of you other guys deal with Jeepin By Al's? I was thinking of giving them a call and was wondering too if they do installs too? If not, would need to find someone else also and alignment place as well.
Lots of folks deal with JBA, at this time they do not have the space to do installs .
Unread 09-04-2013, 12:18 AM   #12
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Thanks TjKJ,

They had great customer service when I was ordering my parts. And OME is definitely recommended. I opted for Bilstein shocks though, so I can't comment on the OMEs. Honestly, installing the lift isn't hard. Took 3 or 4 hours(used it as a learning process for me since I wasn't too sure about suspensions) for mine, but we also had a friend's shop and put the truck on a lift. Not sure how long a driveway instal would really be. And firestone did my alignment.
Unread 09-04-2013, 06:12 AM   #13
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

If going OME I'd go OME shocks
Bilstein are good no doubt but OME springs and OME shocks are matched
Also Ironman are good set up with the front shocks being just a little longer than the OMEs , Bilstein or stock

Driveway install less than 3 hours easy
Unread 09-04-2013, 07:35 AM   #14
MtBJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd
If going OME I'd go OME shocks
Bilstein are good no doubt but OME springs and OME shocks are matched
Also Ironman are good set up with the front shocks being just a little longer than the OMEs , Bilstein or stock

Driveway install less than 3 hours easy
This is the setup I have... OME HDs/Ironman. Would recommend pretty highly.
MtBJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 07:40 AM   #15
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBJet View Post
This is the setup I have... OME HDs/Ironman. Would recommend pretty highly.
Only problem is that the rear Ironman shocks are not long enough for anything over a 1.5" lift. I talked to Marlin at JBA and he said they are getting new, longer Ironman rear shocks. I'll email him again and see if he's received them or not
huntb is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.