JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   KK Liberty Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/)
-   -   KK Struts worn out @6000 miles ! (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/kk-struts-worn-out-6000-miles-1570599/)

Katmandu 09-02-2013 08:35 PM

KK Struts worn out @6000 miles !

Our 2012 KK only has 6,000 miles on it and the front struts are SHOT!

This KK was bought brand new with 50 miles on it and never off-roaded, beat up on or driven hard on irregular pavement. It's been driven on flat highway about 90% of the mileage.

We have had a high speed vibration coming out of the front end for the past 4,000 miles or so. I've replaced the OEM POS Goodyear Fortera's with Michelin MXV and still the vibration persists. I even had the replacement Michelins replaced (under Warranty) for a new set of Michelin ICE2's. Vibration still there.

Hard to believe that the struts are shot after 6,000 miles. :rolleyes:

I was going to take it to the Dealership but figured they would do crap since struts are a wear item.

We're saving up for some Bilsteins. :thumbsup:

Anyone else's struts go bad prematurely ?

tommudd 09-02-2013 08:45 PM

replace the springs as well or you'll be right back needing new front shocks again.

tjkj2002 09-02-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katmandu (Post 15865349)

This KK was bought brand new with 50 miles on it and never off-roaded, beat up on or driven hard on irregular pavement. It's been driven on flat highway about 90% of the mileage.

We have had a high speed vibration coming out of the front end for the past 4,000 miles or so. I've replaced the OEM POS Goodyear Fortera's with Michelin MXV and still the vibration persists. I even had the replacement Michelins replaced (under Warranty) for a new set of Michelin ICE2's. Vibration still there.

I was going to take it to the Dealership but figured they would do crap since struts are a wear item.

And what makes you think it's the front shocks? Have you changed them to confirm they are bad? Many things can cause a high speed vib and the only thing you have seem to try is the tires.That is one of about 100 things that can cause your vib.

Drednot 09-02-2013 09:36 PM

Has the alignment ever been checked?

What kind of wheels are you running?

huntb 09-03-2013 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katmandu (Post 15865349)

Not struts. Shocks

RB145 09-03-2013 04:40 PM

The Liberty has struts in the front and I really doubt this is the source of the problem. When do you get the vibration under what conditions?

tjkj2002 09-03-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RB145 (Post 15868111)
The Liberty has struts in the front and I really doubt this is the source of the problem. When do you get the vibration under what conditions?

Shocks not struts.

Struts takes place of the upper control arm and ball joint and has a intergrated bearing in the top plat so it can pivot since a strut directly bolts to the knuckle.The KK has a upper control arm with ball joint and uses coilover shocks.

Poncherello 09-03-2013 09:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Fellas,

A question: My Lib is approaching 60K, still have mighty Wrangler SRAs on it and stock rear shocks and springs. Took a peak underneath, lately my Lib is starting to feel like my grandfather's 74' Ford Grand Marquis lol. Not totally. Notice some oil on the outside of the shock. If you wouldn't mind taking a look and making an evaluation?

Thanks

tjkj2002 09-03-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poncherello (Post 15869163)
Hey Fellas,

A question: My Lib is approaching 60K, still have mighty Wrangler SRAs on it and stock rear shocks and springs. Took a peak underneath, lately my Lib is starting to feel like my grandfather's 74' Ford Grand Marquis lol. Not totally. Notice some oil on the outside of the shock. If you wouldn't mind taking a look and making an evaluation?

Thanks

Leaking,time to replace.Always replace in pairs so replace both rear even if the otherside looks fine as it's not far behind from failing also.

It is industry standard to replace shocks(and if you have struts) every 50k where they look good or not.Shocks and struts effect so much more then just the ride,they also have a direct effect on how the brakes work.

Poncherello 09-03-2013 10:06 PM

Thanks TjKJ,

Was afraid of that. I am not looking at lifting more than 2" just improving the ride stability and hoping to go further then 58K on the next set of springs and shocks.

I know Gageraid speaks highly about OME springs and Shocks perhaps upper control arms, any of you other guys deal with Jeepin By Al's? I was thinking of giving them a call and was wondering too if they do installs too? If not, would need to find someone else also and alignment place as well.

tommudd 09-03-2013 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poncherello (Post 15869455)
Thanks TjKJ,

Was afraid of that. I am not looking at lifting more than 2" just improving the ride stability and hoping to go further then 58K on the next set of springs and shocks.

I know Gageraid speaks highly about OME springs and Shocks perhaps upper control arms, any of you other guys deal with Jeepin By Al's? I was thinking of giving them a call and was wondering too if they do installs too? If not, would need to find someone else also and alignment place as well.

Lots of folks deal with JBA, at this time they do not have the space to do installs .

Bmxer524 09-04-2013 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poncherello (Post 15869455)
Thanks TjKJ,

They had great customer service when I was ordering my parts. And OME is definitely recommended. I opted for Bilstein shocks though, so I can't comment on the OMEs. Honestly, installing the lift isn't hard. Took 3 or 4 hours(used it as a learning process for me since I wasn't too sure about suspensions) for mine, but we also had a friend's shop and put the truck on a lift. Not sure how long a driveway instal would really be. And firestone did my alignment.

tommudd 09-04-2013 06:12 AM

If going OME I'd go OME shocks
Bilstein are good no doubt but OME springs and OME shocks are matched
Also Ironman are good set up with the front shocks being just a little longer than the OMEs , Bilstein or stock

Driveway install less than 3 hours easy

MtBJet 09-04-2013 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommudd
If going OME I'd go OME shocks
Bilstein are good no doubt but OME springs and OME shocks are matched
Also Ironman are good set up with the front shocks being just a little longer than the OMEs , Bilstein or stock

Driveway install less than 3 hours easy

This is the setup I have... OME HDs/Ironman. Would recommend pretty highly.

huntb 09-04-2013 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MtBJet (Post 15870274)
This is the setup I have... OME HDs/Ironman. Would recommend pretty highly.

Only problem is that the rear Ironman shocks are not long enough for anything over a 1.5" lift. I talked to Marlin at JBA and he said they are getting new, longer Ironman rear shocks. I'll email him again and see if he's received them or not

The time now is 03:58 AM.