JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   KK Liberty Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/)
-   -   Kk spare tire move (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/kk-spare-tire-move-1568208/)

cherokeeshrop91 08-28-2013 10:44 AM

Kk spare tire move

Alright well we all know that they decided to put the spare under the rear for some reason... I know many who don't particularly like that. So what I'm wondering is although there is one or two who make a swing out carrier. Has anyone thought about trying to move it inside the trunk like on the old xj's? Does anyone like that idea, and if so has anyone attempted to install a spare holder or something similar? This just crossed my mind, so lemme know what you all think?

Cobradwight 08-28-2013 11:50 AM

Personally I like it better under the vehicle. If it was inside like the old xj it would take up a lot of room . I like to use my cargo area , u never know what someone in the family might give away? I've seen a spare holder that mounts in the hitch receiver but I forgot the name of the company.

lfhoward 08-28-2013 12:22 PM

That would be the Detoures Knucklebone. http://www.detoursusa.com/knucklebone.php

Poncherello 08-28-2013 09:03 PM

Under the vehicle definitely has it's advantages, Chrysler didn't do it that way because they felt it would make the vehicle too long. However, you do get a little more clearance, ability to put a larger diameter tire then what you can store underneath, and personally I think it looks better. I also remember seeing a Landrover in a fun park anyway, it had the tire mounted on the hood. I thought that is cool looking too. If you decide to mount one in the back show us the picks I think it would look great.

Drednot 08-29-2013 01:13 AM

I hated the inside spare on my XJ. I liked the look of the outside spare on the KJ but the swing out tailgate was not my favorite compared to the lift up tailgate on the XJ and KK. The underneath mount is pretty slick and has good ground clearance.

tommudd 08-29-2013 05:59 AM

Undermounted spares are one of the worst places ever to install one
PITA to remove, collect all kinds of road dirt/salt etc
Wait till you're out on a muddy road or snows 2 foot deep and you have to drag that thing out. First thing I always did on every pickup was to remove the spare from underneath and mount it in the bed . One of the major reasons I'll never own a KK

Ted15 08-29-2013 07:53 PM

Yea but if Marty makes a rear bumper with swing outs for it, that leaves all that room under there for an auxiliary fuel tank. :-)

tommudd 08-29-2013 08:44 PM

That would be nice to have an extra 15 or so gallon tank there
With a spare on the back would look better as well
:cool:;)

Bmxer524 08-29-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted15 (Post 15851922)
Yea but if Marty makes a rear bumper with swing outs for it, that leaves all that room under there for an auxiliary fuel tank. :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommudd (Post 15852121)
That would be nice to have an extra 15 or so gallon tank there
With a spare on the back would look better as well
:cool:;)

That^

Love rear mounted spares. I think the KK would look great with 1 as well.

BenHoleton 08-29-2013 10:26 PM

I definitely want a rear mounted spare. Without using the hitch receiver

Ted15 08-29-2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenHoleton (Post 15852495)
I definitely want a rear mounted spare. Without using the hitch receiver

How close are you to Detoures in Kentucky? If you don't plan on a bumper, he can come up with a tailbone. Basically, it's a swing out that welds to the rear crossmember and goes through the bumper skin.

Bmxer524 08-29-2013 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted15 (Post 15852523)
How close are you to Detoures in Kentucky? If you don't plan on a bumper, he can come up with a tailbone. Basically, it's a swing out that welds to the rear crossmember and goes through the bumper skin.

He should move to the Northeast. I actually like the stock rear bumper for some reason. I think it just fits the KK.

huntb 08-30-2013 07:06 AM

Ted, what did you do with your license plate?

tommudd 08-30-2013 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntb (Post 15853029)
Ted, what did you do with your license plate?

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Oh sorry inside joke
since he drove to my place and the plate was still in the stock location and couldn't be seen
;):D

Ted15 08-30-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommudd

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Oh sorry inside joke
since he drove to my place and the plate was still in the stock location and couldn't be seen
;):D

Oops :-)
I got a bracket from detours that mounts behind the rim. The only problem is that it's for soft eights and doesn't work with stock rims. For now, until I get my new rims I just zip tie it to the rim, when I remember. (I did it again when I went wheeling a couple weeks ago lol)

The time now is 08:40 PM.