KK Liberty A Real Jeep? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > KK Liberty A Real Jeep?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #61
Brian1022
2009 KK Liberty 

The off road ability of a Jeep is partially related to the Jeep, but a lot of it comes to the driver's ability to navigate the terrain. While a Liberty might tackle an obstacle differently than a Wrangler, both will get over a lot more than other vehicles. I do use my Jeep to commute to work more than going offroad, but that's because I work 5 days a week. I also use it at the fire department, as well as terraforming my backyard on weekdays (after work), and mudding, crawling, and trail riding on weekends. The only "part" I have added (so far) since it came off the line is a driver. Today I am getting rid of the OEM tires and it will kick that much more....well mud.
The only reason that I miss my old Cherokee is for the 6" lift I had on it, but once I put that on my Liberty she'll get over the same (and look nice doing it).

Brian1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #62
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian1022 View Post
The off road ability of a Jeep is partially related to the Jeep, but a lot of it comes to the driver's ability to navigate the terrain. While a Liberty might tackle an obstacle differently than a Wrangler, both will get over a lot more than other vehicles. I do use my Jeep to commute to work more than going offroad, but that's because I work 5 days a week. I also use it at the fire department, as well as terraforming my backyard on weekdays (after work), and mudding, crawling, and trail riding on weekends. The only "part" I have added (so far) since it came off the line is a driver. Today I am getting rid of the OEM tires and it will kick that much more....well mud.
The only reason that I miss my old Cherokee is for the 6" lift I had on it, but once I put that on my Liberty she'll get over the same (and look nice doing it).
A six inch lift on a KK? Seems ambitious
huntb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 09:27 AM   #63
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntb View Post
A six inch lift on a KK? Seems ambitious
That's gotta be close to impossible.
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 09:50 AM   #64
rangerr47
2012 KK Liberty 

Maybe he just meant a lift and not necessarily a 6" one?? Heh
rangerr47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #65
Halloween

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerr47
Maybe he just meant a lift and not necessarily a 6" one?? Heh
Would be cool to see if he meant 6"
Halloween is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #66
llm317
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaForceB85 View Post
I was so sick of seeing people call the liberty a jeep for soccer moms, something that was only capable of gravel roads and Walmart curbs, a car not an SUV etc.

Then I start reading on this forum and all I see are posts like:

Hey would these black lug nuts look cool?

Should I drop my KK and put low profile tires on it?

If I get 300 inch swamp rompers but keep my stock suspension will they rub?

Can I use a Little Debbie Popsicle stick for a 48 inch spacer to give myself a lift so my mallcrawler will look cool?

Help! I hit a speed bump at the mall and my dirt cheap aftermarket parts all fell off my jeep which then broke in half and i cant find all the pieces cuz it got run over by a soccer mom in her Hyundai minivan.

No wonder the Libertys have a bad rep. Screw the soccer mom rep looks more like a bunch of mall rats who wanna be thugs are what the Liberty is about these days.

Reminds me of the preppy ultra select rich kid private school party I went to in high school where all the people showed up in preppy designer clothes with "pimped out" vehicles payed for by daddy's money, but greeted each other by saying "what's up my n*****." And left trying to make an impression by squeaking their little tires on the asphalt on the way out.

Is there anybody trolling these forums that has a Liberty and actually uses it for a jeep?

P.S.

Dont get me wrong, there are some upgrades id like to make. I'd like to get a good aftermarket suspension that will give me about a 3 inch lift. Why? Because some of the tractor roads I drive to my deer stand on get bad in the winter and I'm worried I might slip into a rut in the dark, bottom out and get stuck.

Which is why I'd like to install an off road lightbar.

I'd also like to get some bigger wheels with wider tires. Why? If I go up 3 inches I'd like to go out as wide as i can without rubbing to have better stability. None of these have anything to do with making my jeep "look cool." (But I bet it will look pretty beast when I finish.)
I've been hearing the "not a real Jeep", and "station wagon" crap since I bought an XJ in 2003. It was the best vehicle I ever owned. Period. Then I bought a TJ in 2010, only to hear "that's not a real Jeep either". And now I have a 2011 KK and it's the same recycled comments.

Fortunately for me, I couldn't care less what anyone thinks about what I choose to drive. It works for me- whether it be muddin', getting to work in 8" of snow, or driving to the friggin' mall. After all, are we still in high school? Who cares what the "cool kids" think anyway? Drive what suits you, and build it the way you want it.

llm317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 07:02 AM   #67
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

The last time I checked, which was just this morning, my wife opened the door of her KK, physically sat in it, started it up, and drove off to work in it. Seems real to me.

The whole debate about a "real Jeep" could be waged on 90% of the Jeeps I see driving around that will never see so much as a dirt road - this includes Wrangler platforms.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 05:21 PM   #68
Sagerist

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Case in point. Found this thread today while looking for stuff to do to my YJ...Even Wranglers get called "not real Jeeps". Let's end the debate, the KK is a fine Jeep and will dominate everything that it is meant to handle and then some. Its not a rock crawler, but it will do just fine on the trails.

This is the picture for the original quote...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/attac...lift-image.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastrauskas View Post
With a 1" body lift will it eliminate the slight rub I experience at full lock? Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKLespaul View Post
Look at his Jeep. We know what driving he does, He gets the mail and then back in the garage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastrauskas View Post
Yeah that's fairly acuurate. But I do have a long driveway!!
Colorado Jeep Club Member #286
89 YJ 2.5L
OME 36R's, Bilstein 5100's, Bserk 5/8" shackles, 33x10.5 BFG's on 15x8

09 KK Sport 4X4
235/75/16 GY Slnt Armor
CB 2' Firestik
Fire/EMS Radio
Sagerist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 10:16 PM   #69
carlosburitica
2010 KK Liberty 

my kk replaced my zj... what i can say....

simple........ cars ar not built the same now days, a lot of plastic parts and electronics........
IMO the kk has a lack of flax and that is why is not as capable as other 4x4 cars, the independent front suspension wasn't built to be modified like other trucks on the market and there are very limited aftermarket available. i wish they could have a sfa like the wranglers but is clear that jeep ones to make the wrangler a bred of it's own and make the other jeeps just other cars on their line with a little more offroad capabilities than other suv's but not close to the real offroad vehicles.

the kk was designed for the family looking to spend a day at the beach, maybe a camping trip offroad or for an outdoorsman to his favorite fishing or hunting place.... never designed to take you were others can't

just to show my kk next to a jku.....

how can you say......... "it isn't a real jeep........"
carlosburitica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 05:45 AM   #70
JeepN4KC

^^^ You mention Jeep wanting to make the Wrangler a breed of its own.

I had posted in another thread quite awhile ago that I believe it is Jeep's intention to make the Wrangler its own brand - just like Dodge did with Ram trucks.

All other platforms would be phased/morphed into the typical, average, European lookin runabout.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 08-17-2013, 06:26 AM   #71
lobes123
2012 KK Liberty 

Ohhhh the age old real jeep debate. Well my opinion, and this is coming from years of having jeeps in our family, is that the liberty is definitely a real jeep. Jeeps are not one thing to all people. We've had 11 now and some have had solid axles front and back. Some not. Some the roof came off and some didn't. One even had leather seats. None broke, ever. Our 4.0 liter inline sixes were unreal. My last KJ was traded in with 170,000 miles and it was immaculate and I fixed a window regulator in it's life with me. $140 bucks. The KK I have goes through deep Jersey snow, pulled out of 18 inches including what the plow pushed in front of the driveway, while my neighbors Pathfinder spun each wheel individually. He declared he was getting a Jeep. Is it a Rubicon...no. Is it a Jeep, yes. I knew what I was buying. I love it...it has taken me everywhere safely, comfortably and with an awesome 4 wheel drive system. Those BLD's are like having a Range Rover TC system for a quarter of the price. Anyway keep buying whatever Jeep suits you because I don't want to live in a Jeep free world.
lobes123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #72
Megs_Revenge
SUV Enthusiast

2005 WK 

Honestly, this debate can be said for multiple Jeeps, some GC's included. I've been told mine isn't since it's still stock with *gasp* chrome... I put this argument up there with the 'Jeep wave' discussions. Some are just not happy until they've proved themselves right.

The bf's sister just bought a KK. It's nice. Is it as capable with some things as my WK, probably not. But, she likes it. Will it be lifted and see offroad? Probably only if her brother gets his hands on it. It's still a Jeep, made by the Jeep brand for doing Jeep-ish things.

Just tell people how many zero fuqs you give when they tell you it's not real.

Silver WK club #69

Oo|||||||oO
Megs_Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 06:26 PM   #73
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosburitica View Post
i wish they could have a sfa like the wranglers
That can be had...................

Granted not a KK but still a Liberty(KJ).
Unread 08-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #74
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
That can be had...................

Granted not a KK but still a Liberty(KJ).
^^^ Show-off

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 08-20-2013, 04:17 AM   #75
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

I'm starting to think that people consider the liberty some sort of crossover. That's just not true at all. With the exception of the ifs, tiny wheel wells and a bunch of electronics, there isn't much difference between that and a XJ. The big three have been building ifs 4x4's for a long time, so has Toyota and the aftermarket has a lot of lifts. Cradle drops aren't new but there is only one company making them for a liberty. Is it a real jeep? Yup, no question. They said the same kind if stuff about the Cherokee. I think they would've sold a lot more with a solid front axle and I wish they would've left the spare on the back but I guess that's why we mod them.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.