KK Liberty A Real Jeep? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > KK Liberty A Real Jeep?

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippMagnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 10-16-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
DeltaForceB85
2008 KK Liberty 

KK Liberty A Real Jeep?

I was so sick of seeing people call the liberty a jeep for soccer moms, something that was only capable of gravel roads and Walmart curbs, a car not an SUV etc.

Then I start reading on this forum and all I see are posts like:

Hey would these black lug nuts look cool?

Should I drop my KK and put low profile tires on it?

If I get 300 inch swamp rompers but keep my stock suspension will they rub?

Can I use a Little Debbie Popsicle stick for a 48 inch spacer to give myself a lift so my mallcrawler will look cool?

Help! I hit a speed bump at the mall and my dirt cheap aftermarket parts all fell off my jeep which then broke in half and i cant find all the pieces cuz it got run over by a soccer mom in her Hyundai minivan.

No wonder the Libertys have a bad rep. Screw the soccer mom rep looks more like a bunch of mall rats who wanna be thugs are what the Liberty is about these days.

Reminds me of the preppy ultra select rich kid private school party I went to in high school where all the people showed up in preppy designer clothes with "pimped out" vehicles payed for by daddy's money, but greeted each other by saying "what's up my n*****." And left trying to make an impression by squeaking their little tires on the asphalt on the way out.

Is there anybody trolling these forums that has a Liberty and actually uses it for a jeep?

P.S.

Dont get me wrong, there are some upgrades id like to make. I'd like to get a good aftermarket suspension that will give me about a 3 inch lift. Why? Because some of the tractor roads I drive to my deer stand on get bad in the winter and I'm worried I might slip into a rut in the dark, bottom out and get stuck.

Which is why I'd like to install an off road lightbar.

I'd also like to get some bigger wheels with wider tires. Why? If I go up 3 inches I'd like to go out as wide as i can without rubbing to have better stability. None of these have anything to do with making my jeep "look cool." (But I bet it will look pretty beast when I finish.)

Unread 10-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #2
fosterjd79
2004 WJ 

C'mon man, call a spade a spade. I have a Jeep WJ lifted and ready for exactly what you describe + some and my wife has a jeep liberty lifted and ready to crawl to the mall. Jeep added coil overs to the KK and Air lifts to the WK2. Oh, and they also scrapped the 4.0 for the less powerful, more sluggish, similiar gas mileage 3.7. Jeep lost their touch trying to grab the mall crawlin crowd even with the wrangler. Let's face it, you bought the wrong kind of jeep for the job. Maybe you should have grabbed a WJ, WK, or XJ and modded it up for much less expense. Now with that being said, stop knocking people for what they like and lift, armor, and enjoy what you have. It's possible, so knock it out and show us what you enjoy. Worry less about your jeep's "reputation" and be the individual you're striving to be!
fosterjd79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
RudyKK87
2010 KK Liberty 

Well, this guy wheels his Jeep.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/...again-1427406/

And this guy too...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/...ralia-1420116/

And that guy...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/...in-co-1383189/

So people who wheel their KKs do exist. There just ain't been as much talk on this forum about wheeling and mods for wheeling lately.

As far as light bars, I've seen a few threads about people taking a light bar meant to be hood mounted on a JK and doing a little cutting to make it fit in front of the grille.

Here's the thread, and post #15 links to an install write-up.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/...g-bar-1388524/

And as far as lift kits go, there are only a few options for suspension lifts. Jeepin' by Al makes both a 2.5" and a 4" lift kit, Old Man Emu makes a 1.5" lift kit, and Rocky Road Outfitters has a 3". I hear the OME kit gives slightly more than the advertised 1.5".

It's an unfortunate reality that a majority associate the KK with grocery hunting and mall crawling. But that's their prerogative. There are options available for the KK, so feel free to pursue them.
RudyKK87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
DeltaForceB85
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyKK87 View Post
It's an unfortunate reality that a majority associate the KK with grocery hunting and mall crawling. But that's their prerogative. There are options available for the KK, so feel free to pursue them.
I intend to, thanks for the 411.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosterjd79 View Post
Let's face it, you bought the wrong kind of jeep for the job. Maybe you should have grabbed a WJ, WK, or XJ and modded it up for much less expense.
Nope. I got exactly the jeep I wanted.

I researched the wranglers and while they are a lot more fun, this Jeep is my primary vehicle for my family and has a lot more jobs than just off roading.

And despite the BS that ive heard a lot of people push I've found it to be an exceptionally capable vehicle off road. The ride is so much smoother than any of the trucks we've gone out in, and since its lighter than a lot of the trucks we use it doesn't bog down as much and doesn't tear up the trails as bad which really becomes an issue in Louisiana where we have very soft topsoil that says saturated during the wintertime.

Plus I got a MUCH better deal on it than if I had gone after any of the other jeeps in my area. I knew exactly what I wanted and I went and got it.
Unread 10-17-2012, 07:52 AM   #5
theotherone
2008 KK Liberty 

It's not nearly the off road vehicle that a Wrangler can be. Problem is Wranglers aren't exactly practical daily drivers for a family man. I put the KK Liberty in about the same class as the old Cherokee. Mostly a mall crawler that can also be made to do some pretty insane things off road. You won't catch me doing that to my Liberty. I'm not the least bit shy about driving it down the river bank or whatever but I keep it within it's limits. I'll go so far as to say it's as good a 4wd vehicle as most I've ever owned. Not at good as my TJ Wrangler or the old Isuzu Trooper I finally wore out, but good enough for this hillbilly.
theotherone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #6
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The KK is more prepared than the KJ from my perspective.
Not a hardcore rockcrawler but I can drive it all day in airconditioned comfort with my gear secure and sleep in the back. When you can see temps from -17 to 117 in Arizona, my KK is the right vehicle for DD duty and multi day explorations in the AZ outback.
I've owned some of the finest 4WDs and this Jeep is living up to it's heritage.

I'm off to check out Helldorado Days down in Tombstone this weekend and I'm planning to hit some of the old stage roads to the silver mines and ghost towns in the area.
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 01:52 PM   #7
cmp77
2003 WJ 

Lol I will tell you guys I have an 03 grand Cherokee with the v8 and wrangler guys in there 4 cylinders still try to tell me its not a real jeep but I wonder which one would pull which out ?? Hmmm in my eyes the libertys grand Cherokees and of course wranglers are the best jeeps. I hate the compass with a passion
cmp77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #8
DeltaForceB85
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp77
Lol I will tell you guys I have an 03 grand Cherokee with the v8 and wrangler guys in there 4 cylinders still try to tell me its not a real jeep but I wonder which one would pull which out ?? Hmmm in my eyes the libertys grand Cherokees and of course wranglers are the best jeeps. I hate the compass with a passion
Ill drink to that!
Unread 10-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #9
DeltaForceB85
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drednot
Not a hardcore rockcrawler but I can drive it all day in airconditioned comfort with my gear secure and sleep in the back. When you can see temps from -17 to 117 in Arizona, my KK is the right vehicle for DD duty and multi day explorations in the AZ outback.
I've owned some of the finest 4WDs and this Jeep is living up to it's heritage.

I'm off to check out Helldorado Days down in Tombstone this weekend and I'm planning to hit some of the old stage roads to the silver mines and ghost towns in the area.
One of the coolest off road experiences I've ever had was when we were in Chinle, Arizona and my Dad made friends with one of the Navajo guides who was allowed by their tribe to do tours in Canyon De Chelly.

Good old Dad convinced the guy to hop on the back of one of our 4-wheelers and we rode straight up the mouth of the canyon and played in there all day. When we were coming out at dusk the guy showed us some trails that took the long way around some Mesas and we spooked a bunch of wild horses coming off the top of one and they went running up the trail right in front of us for a ways before they peeled off into the desert.

It was like something out of an action movie!
Unread 10-17-2012, 03:31 PM   #10
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

[QUOTE=Drednot;14316425]The KK is more prepared than the KJ from my perspective.
QUOTE]

wrong, having driven mine (04KJ) and then seeing a KK go through
Unread 10-17-2012, 11:34 PM   #11
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Only thing I am disgusted with my KK is the crankseal. When I drive out on the beach, according to the dealership sand is packing up beneath causing the sand rub against the seal and eventually once again I start leaking oil. This Friday I am taking it to a friend/mechanic maybe I can make a plate or something to help keep the sand out. What's sad is that my gf's 11' Honda Pilot has been out to the same beach multiple times and never any issues.
Unread 10-18-2012, 10:20 AM   #12
Sagerist

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyKK87 View Post

And that guy...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/...in-co-1383189/

So people who wheel their KKs do exist. There just ain't been as much talk on this forum about wheeling and mods for wheeling lately.
HAHA! Im an example of what this Liberty is truly capable of! And thats stock. Ppl who think they are strickly Mallcrawlers are just ignorant and have never seen what it can do and think its just a POS. and believe it or not, but ive seen plenty of wrangler Mallcrawlers and even LOWERED one (freakin' miami). Your Jeep is whatever YOU make it out to be and plan on doing with it, not what some ****** bag thinks it is.

It makes my day when i hear ppl say, "How the hell did he get up here with that thing?" or "Wow, never knew what the liberty could do!" Especially from guys with TJs, YJ's LJ's with all the bells and whistles. While it may be easier for them, the liberty can do just fine if you drive it correctly.

Take a look around the forum there are PLENTY of KK's that are rigged for offroading with Mtnluvr and Digger being the two of the most developed ones out there.

And some more recent ones of mine that i haven't had a chance to post yet.

Hope this all helps you with your argument.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #286
89 YJ 2.5L
OME 36R's, Bilstein 5100's, Bserk 5/8" shackles, 33x10.5 BFG's on 15x8

09 KK Sport 4X4
235/75/16 GY Slnt Armor
CB 2' Firestik
Fire/EMS Radio
Sagerist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2012, 06:35 PM   #13
DeltaForceB85
2008 KK Liberty 

Nice pics! Is that somewhere up in the Smoky Mountains? It looks like a lot of fun.
Unread 10-18-2012, 10:32 PM   #14
Sagerist

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Nope. Those few were all actually from trails right by my place in Basalt, CO. So nice to be able to hit dozens of trails within miles of where i live.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #286
89 YJ 2.5L
OME 36R's, Bilstein 5100's, Bserk 5/8" shackles, 33x10.5 BFG's on 15x8

09 KK Sport 4X4
235/75/16 GY Slnt Armor
CB 2' Firestik
Fire/EMS Radio
Sagerist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2012, 11:27 AM   #15
marlon_jbt
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drednot View Post
wrong, having driven mine (04KJ) and then seeing a KK go through
Tom, are we hating on KKs again?

May I remind you of a few things....

Remember those coolant bottle studs? Right. Oh, can't forget about the interchangeable suspension! Is this the exact same KJ hood latch release? Oh darn, it is....

You need me to keep going?

Deep down inside... same dang Jeep... different shape.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.