Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

KK Liberty A Real Jeep?

32K views 79 replies 33 participants last post by  91AzXJ 
#1 ·
I was so sick of seeing people call the liberty a jeep for soccer moms, something that was only capable of gravel roads and Walmart curbs, a car not an SUV etc.

Then I start reading on this forum and all I see are posts like:

Hey would these black lug nuts look cool?

Should I drop my KK and put low profile tires on it?

If I get 300 inch swamp rompers but keep my stock suspension will they rub?

Can I use a Little Debbie Popsicle stick for a 48 inch spacer to give myself a lift so my mallcrawler will look cool?

Help! I hit a speed bump at the mall and my dirt cheap aftermarket parts all fell off my jeep which then broke in half and i cant find all the pieces cuz it got run over by a soccer mom in her Hyundai minivan.

No wonder the Libertys have a bad rep. Screw the soccer mom rep looks more like a bunch of mall rats who wanna be thugs are what the Liberty is about these days.

Reminds me of the preppy ultra select rich kid private school party I went to in high school where all the people showed up in preppy designer clothes with "pimped out" vehicles payed for by daddy's money, but greeted each other by saying "what's up my n*****." And left trying to make an impression by squeaking their little tires on the asphalt on the way out.

Is there anybody trolling these forums that has a Liberty and actually uses it for a jeep?

P.S.

Dont get me wrong, there are some upgrades id like to make. I'd like to get a good aftermarket suspension that will give me about a 3 inch lift. Why? Because some of the tractor roads I drive to my deer stand on get bad in the winter and I'm worried I might slip into a rut in the dark, bottom out and get stuck.

Which is why I'd like to install an off road lightbar.

I'd also like to get some bigger wheels with wider tires. Why? If I go up 3 inches I'd like to go out as wide as i can without rubbing to have better stability. None of these have anything to do with making my jeep "look cool." (But I bet it will look pretty beast when I finish.)

See less See more
#2 ·
C'mon man, call a spade a spade. I have a Jeep WJ lifted and ready for exactly what you describe + some and my wife has a jeep liberty lifted and ready to crawl to the mall. Jeep added coil overs to the KK and Air lifts to the WK2. Oh, and they also scrapped the 4.0 for the less powerful, more sluggish, similiar gas mileage 3.7. Jeep lost their touch trying to grab the mall crawlin crowd even with the wrangler. Let's face it, you bought the wrong kind of jeep for the job. Maybe you should have grabbed a WJ, WK, or XJ and modded it up for much less expense. Now with that being said, stop knocking people for what they like and lift, armor, and enjoy what you have. It's possible, so knock it out and show us what you enjoy. Worry less about your jeep's "reputation" and be the individual you're striving to be! :)

#3 ·
Well, this guy wheels his Jeep.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/been-lurking-got-out-again-1427406/

And this guy too...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/saunders-gorge-australia-1420116/

And that guy...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/montezuma-basin-co-1383189/

So people who wheel their KKs do exist. There just ain't been as much talk on this forum about wheeling and mods for wheeling lately.

As far as light bars, I've seen a few threads about people taking a light bar meant to be hood mounted on a JK and doing a little cutting to make it fit in front of the grille.

Here's the thread, and post #15 links to an install write-up.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/jk-front-light-mounting-bar-1388524/

And as far as lift kits go, there are only a few options for suspension lifts. Jeepin' by Al makes both a 2.5" and a 4" lift kit, Old Man Emu makes a 1.5" lift kit, and Rocky Road Outfitters has a 3". I hear the OME kit gives slightly more than the advertised 1.5".

It's an unfortunate reality that a majority associate the KK with grocery hunting and mall crawling. But that's their prerogative. There are options available for the KK, so feel free to pursue them.

#4 ·
It's an unfortunate reality that a majority associate the KK with grocery hunting and mall crawling. But that's their prerogative. There are options available for the KK, so feel free to pursue them.
I intend to, thanks for the 411.

Let's face it, you bought the wrong kind of jeep for the job. Maybe you should have grabbed a WJ, WK, or XJ and modded it up for much less expense.
Nope. I got exactly the jeep I wanted.

I researched the wranglers and while they are a lot more fun, this Jeep is my primary vehicle for my family and has a lot more jobs than just off roading.

And despite the BS that ive heard a lot of people push I've found it to be an exceptionally capable vehicle off road. The ride is so much smoother than any of the trucks we've gone out in, and since its lighter than a lot of the trucks we use it doesn't bog down as much and doesn't tear up the trails as bad which really becomes an issue in Louisiana where we have very soft topsoil that says saturated during the wintertime.

Plus I got a MUCH better deal on it than if I had gone after any of the other jeeps in my area. I knew exactly what I wanted and I went and got it.

#5 ·
It's not nearly the off road vehicle that a Wrangler can be. Problem is Wranglers aren't exactly practical daily drivers for a family man. I put the KK Liberty in about the same class as the old Cherokee. Mostly a mall crawler that can also be made to do some pretty insane things off road. You won't catch me doing that to my Liberty. I'm not the least bit shy about driving it down the river bank or whatever but I keep it within it's limits. I'll go so far as to say it's as good a 4wd vehicle as most I've ever owned. Not at good as my TJ Wrangler or the old Isuzu Trooper I finally wore out, but good enough for this hillbilly.

#6 ·
The KK is more prepared than the KJ from my perspective.
Not a hardcore rockcrawler but I can drive it all day in airconditioned comfort with my gear secure and sleep in the back. When you can see temps from -17 to 117 in Arizona, my KK is the right vehicle for DD duty and multi day explorations in the AZ outback.
I've owned some of the finest 4WDs and this Jeep is living up to it's heritage.

I'm off to check out Helldorado Days down in Tombstone this weekend and I'm planning to hit some of the old stage roads to the silver mines and ghost towns in the area.

#7 ·
Lol I will tell you guys I have an 03 grand Cherokee with the v8 and wrangler guys in there 4 cylinders still try to tell me its not a real jeep but I wonder which one would pull which out ?? Hmmm in my eyes the libertys grand Cherokees and of course wranglers are the best jeeps. I hate the compass with a passion

#8 ·
cmp77 said:
Lol I will tell you guys I have an 03 grand Cherokee with the v8 and wrangler guys in there 4 cylinders still try to tell me its not a real jeep but I wonder which one would pull which out ?? Hmmm in my eyes the libertys grand Cherokees and of course wranglers are the best jeeps. I hate the compass with a passion
Ill drink to that!

#9 ·
Drednot said:
The KK is more prepared than the KJ from my perspective.
Not a hardcore rockcrawler but I can drive it all day in airconditioned comfort with my gear secure and sleep in the back. When you can see temps from -17 to 117 in Arizona, my KK is the right vehicle for DD duty and multi day explorations in the AZ outback.
I've owned some of the finest 4WDs and this Jeep is living up to it's heritage.

I'm off to check out Helldorado Days down in Tombstone this weekend and I'm planning to hit some of the old stage roads to the silver mines and ghost towns in the area.
One of the coolest off road experiences I've ever had was when we were in Chinle, Arizona and my Dad made friends with one of the Navajo guides who was allowed by their tribe to do tours in Canyon De Chelly.

Good old Dad convinced the guy to hop on the back of one of our 4-wheelers and we rode straight up the mouth of the canyon and played in there all day. When we were coming out at dusk the guy showed us some trails that took the long way around some Mesas and we spooked a bunch of wild horses coming off the top of one and they went running up the trail right in front of us for a ways before they peeled off into the desert.

It was like something out of an action movie!

#11 ·
Only thing I am disgusted with my KK is the crankseal. When I drive out on the beach, according to the dealership sand is packing up beneath causing the sand rub against the seal and eventually once again I start leaking oil. This Friday I am taking it to a friend/mechanic maybe I can make a plate or something to help keep the sand out. What's sad is that my gf's 11' Honda Pilot has been out to the same beach multiple times and never any issues.

#14 ·
Nope. Those few were all actually from trails right by my place in Basalt, CO. So nice to be able to hit dozens of trails within miles of where i live.

#16 ·
Yeah, I dont get why someone would watch other drivers get into trouble in places they've been and blame it solely on the vehicle and not the driver. There are lots of morons in this world who drive jeeps.

Also such a thing as the terrain on a trail or crossing changing as other vehicles pass, weather changing, different angles of approach, different amounts of speed used during the approach, which 4 wheel drive system is installed on the jeep, what kind of tires, how they were aired up, whether the driver was in 4-low before he got into trouble. And God knows how many other factors.

#17 ·
RudyKK87 said:
Well, this guy wheels his Jeep.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/been-lurking-got-out-again-1427406/

And this guy too...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/saunders-gorge-australia-1420116/

And that guy...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/montezuma-basin-co-1383189/

So people who wheel their KKs do exist. There just ain't been as much talk on this forum about wheeling and mods for wheeling lately.

As far as light bars, I've seen a few threads about people taking a light bar meant to be hood mounted on a JK and doing a little cutting to make it fit in front of the grille.

Here's the thread, and post #15 links to an install write-up.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/jk-front-light-mounting-bar-1388524/

And as far as lift kits go, there are only a few options for suspension lifts. Jeepin' by Al makes both a 2.5" and a 4" lift kit, Old Man Emu makes a 1.5" lift kit, and Rocky Road Outfitters has a 3". I hear the OME kit gives slightly more than the advertised 1.5".

Well, I am the guy in the first video. My stock KK surprised the heck out of me and my wheeling buddies. The some mods, this can wheel with the best of them!

#18 ·
Ok, I guess I fall into the mallcrawlers group for the most part. Im an emergency manager and I wanted a smaller suv so i can tow a boat and get groceries and haul friends. I also need the ability to get to work when mother nature throws you a mess. I wanted something that looks awesome.

My 11 Jet Liberty fits all that and was a great price. It fits me and my lifestyle to a T. I know it's not as capable as others here, but when a truck pulling a boat pulled out in front of me and I grabbed some ditch in a near miss, the liberty was up to the task with the stock street 20s! It is perfect for me!

#19 ·
Nah, you sound like a typical jeep DD to me. From the way half these guys run their mouths about what a real jeep really is and a real jeep really needs I'd be willing to bet their definition of off roading is the dirt roads in national parks that my Dad used to drive us on when i was a kid and our family was vacationing in our 15 passenger van.

And that's if it's not parking in the grass and hitting a curb or two at wal mart,

#21 ·
Sweet!!!!:thumbsup: I have taken my KK threw some water, but nothing THAT deep!!

#23 ·
DeltaForceB85 said:
I was so sick of seeing people call the liberty a jeep for soccer moms, something that was only capable of gravel roads and Walmart curbs, a car not an SUV etc.

Then I start reading on this forum and all I see are posts like:

Hey would these black lug nuts look cool?

Should I drop my KK and put low profile tires on it?

If I get 300 inch swamp rompers but keep my stock suspension will they rub?

Can I use a Little Debbie Popsicle stick for a 48 inch spacer to give myself a lift so my mallcrawler will look cool?

Help! I hit a speed bump at the mall and my dirt cheap aftermarket parts all fell off my jeep which then broke in half and i cant find all the pieces cuz it got run over by a soccer mom in her Hyundai minivan.

No wonder the Libertys have a bad rep. Screw the soccer mom rep looks more like a bunch of mall rats who wanna be thugs are what the Liberty is about these days.

Reminds me of the preppy ultra select rich kid private school party I went to in high school where all the people showed up in preppy designer clothes with "pimped out" vehicles payed for by daddy's money, but greeted each other by saying "what's up my n*****." And left trying to make an impression by squeaking their little tires on the asphalt on the way out.

Is there anybody trolling these forums that has a Liberty and actually uses it for a jeep?

P.S.

Dont get me wrong, there are some upgrades id like to make. I'd like to get a good aftermarket suspension that will give me about a 3 inch lift. Why? Because some of the tractor roads I drive to my deer stand on get bad in the winter and I'm worried I might slip into a rut in the dark, bottom out and get stuck.

Which is why I'd like to install an off road lightbar.

I'd also like to get some bigger wheels with wider tires. Why? If I go up 3 inches I'd like to go out as wide as i can without rubbing to have better stability. None of these have anything to do with making my jeep "look cool." (But I bet it will look pretty beast when I finish.)
Check here
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=104

#24 ·
I prefer this thread: http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=63315

The Author built his own (very awesome) steel bumpers for his KK. You can see he rides with the best of them!

As for me, I bought it because I live in the Buffalo NY area. I need something that can handle snowy crappy weather and still have room for my three kids. A Wrangler, even the 4door version, can't do that.

That said, I'm planning on putting on a Rockfather lift once I can afford it and some larger tires. If only so I can go tool around in the muddy trails out behind my neighborhood without bogging down again like I did this past summer. (super deep "toothpaste" mud under a layer of grass. Sunk down to my axles and had to get yanked out by my neighbor with a Wrangler with oversized mud bogger tires. Was still fun though.)

I have also added my rough and ready roof rack crossbars from steel square tubing and square "u" bolts. not exactly a "hardcore offroad" mod, but not really "bling" either. (especially once the textured paint chipped off on the front face and they started to get a coating of light rust.)

#29 ·
I feel like I have to tell you, I started with their over the top spacer lift with their shocks (junk). When I told glen they didn't fit properly he told me they're all like that and some crap but I can't remember but the point is he wasn't taking them back. They rode like crap too. The 2" spacers that went over the strut only gave me about 1 1/2" of lift which is strange, it should've given me 4". Anyway, I don't believe they have an original design, everything they sell, well almost everything was copied of ripped off from others. Their over the top lift is just like the one tereflex sells. I've seen where their "unbendable" "indestructible" rock rails with the "lifetime guarantee" failed with no support. I'd be very careful about a purchase from them. I've spoken to glen a few times, he seems like he's ok but I don't trust the company. OME is a good choice IMO. Tommudd's been doing this for a long time, he's got it down pretty good. Be prepared to spend a little more than $500 though, it's worth it.

#35 ·
^^^ Not really all that surprising to me. The KK sits pretty tall with some good stock ground clearance. The CommandTracII in our KK Limited is a good 4x system - not sure what the KK in the vid has.

These rigs will do more than most owners will even be willing to try.

BTW - what's up with the SuperMario Bros soundtrack in that video?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.