KK Liberty 2012- thumping noises coming from tire area - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > KK Liberty 2012- thumping noises coming from tire area

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 10-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #1
kellybelly28
2012 KK Liberty 

KK Liberty 2012- thumping noises coming from tire area

Hi everyone,

I just got a 2012 Jeep Liberty(less than a month ago) and noticed that when I accelerate past 40 mph that a loud noise comes from my right front or back tire. It sounds like my tire is about to go flat... that thumping noise right before a tire dies out. I checked my tire pressure on my tires and they all are fine. I'm not sure what the problem can be? Possibly metal hitting my tire?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

kellybelly28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Lost wheel weight combined with the poorly damped factory shock.
Does it do it all the time? or only once in a while?
Does it go away when you get going faster or does it get progressively worse with speed?
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
bagwell
2011 KK Liberty 

1. take it to a tire shop and let them check your tires for defects.
2. take it to the dealer and tell them the problem and fix it.
bagwell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
JeepCares

X2 ^^
although, I'd probably try the dealer first
Unread 10-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #5
kellybelly28
2012 KK Liberty 

Thanks for responding. It only does it when I accelerate. It doesn't do it when I break or slow down.

It goes away once I hit around 55-60 mph. Loudest around 35-50.

The dealer is most likely not going to find what the problem is and that's what I'm worried about. It doesn't sound like a stone is in my tire. Def. not a clicking noise, but more of a thump. I checked the tires and they look fine.
Unread 10-12-2012, 02:56 AM   #6
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellybelly28 View Post
The dealer is most likely not going to find what the problem is and that's what I'm worried about.
If it does it all the time, just insist on taking them for a spin and demonstrate the condition.

When it happens, do you only hear it, or can you feel it through the steering wheel, your feet, or your seat?

Is it a loud , insistant, solid hit, or soft, muffled?
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2012, 10:45 AM   #7
tbenson

My 2011 has/had, as you describe,this same issue from new...very annoying!
I have blamed it on junk Goodyear tires, maybe I should get mine looked at before the warranty runs out.
tbenson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
mbrooks1982

My 2012 does the same thing. Dealer can't figure out the problem, even after I took them for a ride. Sounds like a rock is in the tire and is loudest around 35-45. My diagnosis unfortunately is leading me to the junk "Oneyear" tires as well. Can't wait to replace them.
mbrooks1982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2012, 05:34 AM   #9
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

OEM tire replacement should be darn near mandatory on the Liberty. The factory tires are crap and built for one purpose because they are cheap and serve a temporary need. They flex, allow for little traction, are loud and border on the line of be dangerous. Don't try a highway speed evasive maneuver on the stock tires you could end up in a world of hurt.
Unread 11-17-2012, 05:38 AM   #10
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

Another train of thought maybe that when the tires were mounted to the wheel, someone along the production process thought it would be cute to drop something into the tire cavity (thinking wheel weight, valve stem) just for giggles and grins to drive the new owner nuts?
Unread 11-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #11
georgejeri

2009 KK Liberty 

Just a thought to try and eliminate things. How about a tire rotation to see if that changes anything? See if the noise "moves." I might be tempted to get some help and go for a ride with the windows down with family/friends listening/hanging out the windows. Might help isolate the noise area.
georgejeri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 08:58 AM   #12
kellybelly28
2012 KK Liberty 

Thank you everyone for your response. Sorry for the total delay in response on my end. I took it to the dealer for a test ride for 45 minutes- drove all around town and of course he didn't hear the sound. The second we drive away the clunking thumping noise occurred again. I became frustrated and asked the manager if they were having issues with this model and year concerning the thumping sounds in the tire and they said yes. I'm not sure why they wouldn't recall the tires if this seems to be a constant issue!

They cannot figure out where the sound is coming from which leads me to a great amount of frustration. Has anyone replaced the stock tires and had success with not hearing the noise again?

I noticed that the sounds only occur between speeds 35-50 and get louder when I decrease rpm after accelerating. My tire psi also decreases on the sides where the sounds are coming from(right both tires). The sound is definitely heard right around the tire area and has been heard by my entire family. The noise level is getting louder and the duration of the sound is also increasing. I feel slight vibration in the steering wheel but feel the worse vibration in my gas pedal when the thumping sound occurs.

If anyone else has suggestions, please feel free to throw them at me since the dealer has no idea how to fix this issue.
Unread 12-21-2012, 07:42 PM   #13
swamppro
2008 KK Liberty 

Check and see if your front wheels are hot after. Mine was doing the same thing and now my brake calipers were sticking and fried the pads and rotors. Mechanic told me this was not the first he has seen.
swamppro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2013, 06:57 PM   #14
Jason0319

My 2012 Jeep Liberty has also done this since we bought it new. It has been to three dealers and they can not find the problem. They say it's not "safety related". I have had the tires rotated and the noise still seemed to come from the RF area. I can really feel mine in the floorboards, esp the passenger side. RF wheel hub was also replaced by the dealer but that didn't help. Let me know if you find anything out as its very frustrating!!
Jason0319 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.